Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Worn Canvas

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The canvas on my westy has worn pretty badly at the rear, presumably from getting jammed in the roof. The rest of the canvas is decent so I am reluctant to replace the full thing, especially given I'm not sure how long I will have the van. I have been looking to patch up with either a couple of iron on patches or try to glue a full section over the existing canvas.

Has anyone else tried this successfully? If so does the roof continue to fold as expected?

20200526_162504.jpg

20200526_162729.jpg

We patched a 2 smaller tears in our T4 canvas very succesfully with a product called Tear-Aid. It's a transparant sheet that you stick to the canvas. It's used to repair tents and what not. I don't know if they supply it in really large seizes. But you could consider it, as it's a hell of a lot cheaper then replacing the canvas.

Tear Aid do press-on patches for canvas.
I've used it for small tears (a few inches) on otherwise good condition canvas (The original T5 canvas).
At the time (a few years ago) they had patches 3 inches by 3 feet (a memorable dimension but maybe bigger ones?). They also did rolls I think.
The patches I bought were cheap and robust.
I think Tear Aid has been the go-to company for canvas pop up roof mishaps.
Good luck.

Thanks all I will have a look at Tear Aid. The only thing is with it being clear, you will be able to see the tatty nature of canvas u underneath! I'm not really looking to spend lots to replace the whole canvas as the van is currently up for sale so just ticking off a few jobs during lock down.

I had spotted these iron on patches and thought two might do the job, just not sure if they will stick well enough.

Back