Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Yellow 'button' on gas regulator valve

K

Krispy

Hello

I'm having ongoing trouble with gas pressure - hardly any gas comes out of the burners even though there is gas in the bottle and the switch is on in the cupboard.

A friend who knows these things is pretty certain our regulator is at fault, and suggested that many regulators have a button you push to reset the pressure. Looking at the regulator in our Cali there does indeed appear to be a yellow button. However, this is impossible to depress.

So my question is, is this indeed a button, and if not, is there anything else I can do to reset the regulator?

Failing that, I guess I'll need a new one. Our local vw van centre wants £40 just to look at it, apparently in order to determine which of two varieties ours is. Which I thought was outrageous. So anyone know where I can order one without having to go through the centre?

Thanks!
Kristian

Have you had the vehicle gas tested recently? If not I would suggest getting that done so that they can test the whole system and should be able to help and repair the issue for you.

cheers

What gas are you using? Butane does not work well in cold temperatures. If you have recently started to experience the problem, then this may be why. Warm the cylinder (ie, disconnect and take it into the house for a while) and try again.

Propane is a better gas for winter camping, or at least a propane/butane mix.

Not sure if you need a different regulator for propane cylinders though.

dan (smuggly burning meths all year)

smgcowfold said:
Have you had the vehicle gas tested recently? If not I would suggest getting that done so that they can test the whole system and should be able to help and repair the issue for you.

cheers

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask how much you would charge for carrying out a check of our gas system?

Krispy said:
Hello

I'm having ongoing trouble with gas pressure - hardly any gas comes out of the burners even though there is gas in the bottle and the switch is on in the cupboard.

A friend who knows these things is pretty certain our regulator is at fault, and suggested that many regulators have a button you push to reset the pressure. Looking at the regulator in our Cali there does indeed appear to be a yellow button. However, this is impossible to depress.

So my question is, is this indeed a button, and if not, is there anything else I can do to reset the regulator?

Failing that, I guess I'll need a new one. Our local vw van centre wants £40 just to look at it, apparently in order to determine which of two varieties ours is. Which I thought was outrageous. So anyone know where I can order one without having to go through the centre?

Thanks!
Kristian

I would buy a new regulator and try that first, only about £10, just google "907 regulator"

How about telling us roughly where your from then some one might help out that lives close by

Alan said:
How about telling us roughly where your from then some one might help out that lives close by

Totally agree with you, I was once a member of TT2OC and we had this very thing in our newsletter, were if someone was in trouble they could contact someone for help or assistance.

John

I live in Brighton, and if there is anyone near by who can help me I would be very grateful and would certainly make them a cup of tea - PG Tips, Earl Grey, Rooibos, you name it :D

The suggestions to buy a cheap 907 regulator - I took the van to a motorhome dealer, and he told me that the California regulator was different to the standard one. He said it had been adapted to fit in the small space within the water tank, with the inlet(outlet?) bent down, unlike the normal Gaz ones.

So as I understand it, replacing it with a standard regulator isn't an option. Is this correct?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Krispy said:
I live in Brighton, and if there is anyone near by who can help me I would be very grateful and would certainly make them a cup of tea - PG Tips, Earl Grey, Rooibos, you name it :D

The suggestions to buy a cheap 907 regulator - I took the van to a motorhome dealer, and he told me that the California regulator was different to the standard one. He said it had been adapted to fit in the small space within the water tank, with the inlet(outlet?) bent down, unlike the normal Gaz ones.

So as I understand it, replacing it with a standard regulator isn't an option. Is this correct?

Thanks everyone for your help!

I wasn't suggesting to buy a "cheap" regulator as they do vary in price £10 from reputable camping stores seems an average price. Not sure about a "special" regulator for the Cali, easiest thing to do is take the old one of and go to a camping store and check it out.

John (happy christmas)

VWCampersales Ltd 01444 243888, special offer to all VW Californiaclub forum members.
Gas habitation compliance test carried out by certified ACOP cv1 – ACOP cv 8 Gas competent techician. The California gas test is required on their 3rd anniversary – pressure test the regulator £ 57.60 and visual check. At 5 years a new gas hose is required (with test) £69.60. 10% discount to VW California club members.

Hello

Can anybody tell me why when the Gas System on the Cali needs checking every 3 yrs I've got a gas label on the tailgate saying test due June 2015. Our Cali was registered Sept 2013 so will only be 21 months old by then.
Thanks
Steve

This label is for German owners only.

The regulator on the Cali is a Truma unit. Well known in caravan circles for getting clogged up with oily residue from the gas. The issue tends to stem, I believe, from where the regulator is situated and therefore may not be an issue for Cali owners in general. I certainly had the problem though on a previous caravan and folding camper. Most normal regulators for the 907 gas bottle have a built in tap, whereas the Cali has its own, directly mounted to the bottle. If it were me, I would replace like for like

Post moved to new, more appropriate thread.

Last edited:
So, I'm guessing if I can smell gas, I can hear gas escaping and if I can produce expanding bubbles by smothering the yellow "button" with soapy water then something is faulty with this device.

If someone would care to confirm that I shouldn't simply be pressing the yellow button, pulling the yellow button or doing anything else with the yellow button and that a new device should simply be fitted a.s.a.p., I should be very grateful.

(The gas is now turned off).WhatsApp Image 2020-07-31 at 18.53.57.jpeg

So, I'm guessing if I can smell gas, I can hear gas escaping and if I can produce expanding bubbles by smothering the yellow "button" with soapy water then something is faulty with this device.

If someone would care to confirm that I shouldn't simply be pressing the yellow button, pulling the yellow button or doing anything else with the yellow button and that a new device should simply be fitted a.s.a.p., I should be very grateful.

(The gas is now turned off).View attachment 63727
It is the a Pressure Release Valve, to protect consumer appliances.

From the GOK manual.

719C554F-850C-4A2D-B746-7C06A6AF51A6.jpeg

Thank you. I tried to find a manual online but couldn't. New device now ordered.

Thank you again!

I would be asking what caused the over pressure that caused the safety valve to blow. Had you just connected a new gas canister that was possibly over filled? or was it connected to a cylinder that could have been overheated causing an increase in pressure?

I would be sorely tempted to change the gas bottle as well as the regulator.

Yes, that had occurred to me. It’s a 3/4 full bottle that’s been there for about 9 months. So nothing has changed.

Given the temperature of the last couple of days, especially today, the cylinder may have been warmer than average. But no warmer than e.g. The South of France last summer.

But I will swap this cylinder with another one anyway.

The Overpressure Relief valve is downstream of the regulator, so I understand, so if it is activated it is more likely an indication that the regulator has failed. With a normally filled cylinder I do not see why that needs replacing especially as the OP states it is about 3/4 full and has worked without problems in the past.

You are correct, I hadn’t realised that the PRV was on the outlet side.

Thinking further, the suggestions to replace the regulator with a “normal” bbq one could be dangerous as they don’t have the prv. In the case of the regulator failing in this way without a PRV you could end up with very tall flames at the burners, dangerous on an external bbq but could be a lot more serious in the confined space of a van.