Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your best Cali shopping hacks

Use the additional tray on the back wall, held in place by the fridge rack, to stop things sticking to the wall
I use 2.3 L Lock&Lock boxes, got rid of the useless rack. With big boxes I find it easier to get food out, instead of having to search among the pile of food that topple over constantly .
Food stays cooler with less heat/cold exchange every time the lid is opened, doesn't stick to the back wall.

I use 2.3 L Lock&Lock boxes, got rid of the useless rack. With big boxes I find it easier to get food out, instead of having to search among the pile of food that topple over constantly .
Food stays cooler with less heat/cold exchange every time the lid is opened, doesn't stick to the back wall.
Good idea. We store drinks in the fridge too so would need to be able to fit those in somehow. Have you got a photo of your 2.3 litre setup? I’m assuming you can fit quite a few of those in

Good idea. We store drinks in the fridge too so would need to be able to fit those in somehow. Have you got a photo of your 2.3 litre setup? I’m assuming you can fit quite a few of those in
20200624_114959.jpg
I fit all this in the fridge. They are 16cm x23. So side by side like above they are 32cm , leaving 8cm available for a bottle of milk, beers etc.
The ones with the green lid are from Ikea.

Yes it didn’t effect anything in the vehicle. The reversing sensors - I presume you mean the beeping - aren’t part of the stereo system. My 2008 T5 didn’t have any steering wheel stereo controls, which I think would be tricky to make work. You can connect a reversing camera to it apparently. It has a microphone that was placed near the rear view mirror that is for phone calls and controlling the stereo with your voice.

I use Waze (free) for satnav and have an Amazon Music account and Apple Music account. With my iPhone connected you can either say ‘Hey Siri play .....’ (or press the volume button instead of saying Hey Siri) and it’ll play practically anything. You can also dictate or listen to WhatsApp messages etc without taking your hands off the wheel. We also listen to audio books. For me Apple CarPlay is just brilliantly easy.
The original 2008 stereo was pretty useless. It cost about £240 for the DAB version and I paid £200 for someone to fit it.
Ok so we decided to buy one and fit ourselves! Nearly complete, awaiting fixing panel and usb plugs and we’re done.

Yes it didn’t effect anything in the vehicle. The reversing sensors - I presume you mean the beeping - aren’t part of the stereo system. My 2008 T5 didn’t have any steering wheel stereo controls, which I think would be tricky to make work. You can connect a reversing camera to it apparently. It has a microphone that was placed near the rear view mirror that is for phone calls and controlling the stereo with your voice.

I use Waze (free) for satnav and have an Amazon Music account and Apple Music account. With my iPhone connected you can either say ‘Hey Siri play .....’ (or press the volume button instead of saying Hey Siri) and it’ll play practically anything. You can also dictate or listen to WhatsApp messages etc without taking your hands off the wheel. We also listen to audio books. For me Apple CarPlay is just brilliantly easy.
The original 2008 stereo was pretty useless. It cost about £240 for the DAB version and I paid £200 for someone to fit it.
For steering wheel controls you need one of these adaptors.

I use two of these side by side in the boot. They fit perfectly and work as giant drawers and slide easily on rubber floor. The one on the right I use without the lid and keep dirty things in it like wellingtons, washing up bowl and even portapotti which fits perfectly. The left one has sleeping bags etc. I also have another which on long trips I put above. Then when we arrive at campsite and put up pup tent it’s easy to transfer a lot of things in one go. I think 64L is correct size but perhaps worth checking dimensions.
I see people building slide out platforms, but this is an easy, cheap alternative.
View attachment 72460

These really are really useful boxes.

The 48l really useful box with the high lid is useful to fit in taller stuff, like my 1.5l Kellie kettle or a gas camping stove in its plastic case (the type with 1 burner and a 250g cannister). Sorry no pic with my kit in.
ECB484D8-7485-41AB-A3FA-195ED4292780.jpeg

The lower one makes for a great portaloo raiser. Great if your knees are feeling a bit “dodgy”.
3FB34148-0E2C-4896-BB31-AAB690220EED.jpeg

The 9l is great between the driver’s and passenger seats. A bit of rug on top means the dog can use it as a step up to his bed on the passenger seat, without slipping.
F5EFFFAE-248F-47AB-BB24-DAACC727219E.jpeg

These really are really useful boxes.

The 48l really useful box with the high lid is useful to fit in taller stuff, like my 1.5l Kellie kettle or a gas camping stove in its plastic case (the type with 1 burner and a 250g cannister). Sorry no pic with my kit in.
View attachment 74480

The lower one makes for a great portaloo raiser. Great if your knees are feeling a bit “dodgy”.
View attachment 74482

The 9l is great between the driver’s and passenger seats. A bit of rug on top means the dog can use it as a step up to his bed on the passenger seat, without slipping.
View attachment 74479
Hi Elly, can the lower box really hold the weight of the PP335 and a person sitting on it?
Also the 9L, how difficult it is to go from the cabin to the living area with that box in the middle?
Thank you!

Hi Elly, can the lower box really hold the weight of the PP335 and a person sitting on it?
Also the 9L, how difficult it is to go from the cabin to the living area with that box in the middle?
Thank you!
1/ Yes, Calimili, it really will take a lot of weight. I’m seriously no lightweight.
2/ It’s really easy to slide the box backwards or forwards to get it out of the way.

Agreed, but a microfiber cloth won't prevent products inside the fridge from getting wet by the water buildup on the bottom.
I use a cheap flannel in the bottom. It stops the bottles rattling and absorbs the condensation. At the end of the trip, I wipe out the fridge with it and chuck it in the wash. When not on a trip it stays in the top on the lock to stop the lid shutting which allows air flow.

After 3 weekends and 3 trips to Halford’s and online ordering we completed the installation today, it’s great except haven’t got the FM radio to work yet, but DAB is fine. Feel quite proud of ourselves, and it a nice diversion in these dull times

This is a great thread - have bought the fridge tray, sheets, & storage boxes, & now theres another great thread about a mattress cover - really helps to save the pennies where we can.
Which storage boxes did you go for Jenny?

Which storage boxes did you go for Jenny?
I bought the 35litre boxes with lids from B&Q at £20.00 each, having read the posts about the new mechanism getting in the way so measured for fit first. Ive started with 2 but can get 4 in if required athough Im not at all sure I will need them Ive got them if I do!

Such a good tip! We've been doing this for years (I did a post on it). So simple and effective. Also means you can pack the fridge boxes in the house and make much better use of space in the fridge. No problems with soggy food either!

Delighted to be able to finally contribute to this thread. I was picking up some vinyl floor tiles in B&Q and walked past their bargain/clearance bucket.... saw these ‘paint roller trays’ (think they’re intended to roll excess paint off) for 10p and thought 2 might just work next to each other as a base for the fridge to keep food dry....
5C7D77D0-1554-4368-8781-29C45A6EAF8C.jpeg
Tiny bit of modification with a Stanley knife and jobs a good’un (price stickers to be removed clearly)
72E0327D-6717-41CB-9323-4D55886B455C.jpeg

Delighted to be able to finally contribute to this thread. I was picking up some vinyl floor tiles in B&Q and walked past their bargain/clearance bucket.... saw these ‘paint roller trays’ (think they’re intended to roll excess paint off) for 10p and thought 2 might just work next to each other as a base for the fridge to keep food dry....
View attachment 75294
Tiny bit of modification with a Stanley knife and jobs a good’un (price stickers to be removed clearly)
View attachment 75295
Oh wow - You win hands down! This will take some beating! :thumb

Draw cutlery holder spacer, a variation on what I've seen on here - frees up a bit more space under the cutlery tray. Piece of pine from B&Q.20210324_153000.jpg20210324_151118.jpg20210324_151129.jpg20210324_151145.jpg

Ikea hanging storage - if you use the original installed cupboard rail you loose some space behind it.
So installed another hanging rail, so from ebay- "2x White Rail End Supports Brackets Oval Wardrobe Rails Poles 20mm" and a piece of "300mm x 20mm OD aluminium round pipe" and some "extreme gorilla mounting tape".
And voila. - much better fit. 20210324_151019.jpg20210324_151027.jpg

Shift the rear seats front stop forward.
Also outlined elsewhere on here that removing the stop is helpful and easy, a couple more pics to show - its actually important to move the stop not just remove completely as it stops the seat from falling into the gap in the rails that allows you to remove it.
1) Pop out the plastic end cap as per the pic (insert a suitable tool to disengage the plastic tang)
2) slide the aluminium rail cover sections towards the front of the vehicle and then they just lift up (might need a bit of a jiggle)
3) unscrew the "stopper" screw move the location - re tighten - make sure its quite tight you need to keep screwing it down in the new location until the screw goes through the plastic cover in the bottom of the rail until it bites on the steel.
4) re assemble as in reverse to dismantle.

20210324_152411.jpg20210324_152420.jpg20210324_152120.jpg20210324_152327.jpg

Back