Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your best Cali shopping hacks

VWCoastbusters

VWCoastbusters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all.

I wondered if everyone could please share their best Cali shopping hacks in one post. Cali shopping hacks are alternatives to the more expensive 'VW' supplier items and a way to kit out the van with a smaller budget.

*No guarantees they will fit every model - all suggested in good faith, please do your own research*

I'll start this off with three I've saved from various posts on here (thank you to the original posters):

• Downstairs bed sheet (Ocean/Coast) - Dunelm small double (25cm depth for comfort mattress). Dove grey is a good match to the seats
  • Mat for in front of rear seats - Dunelm Marvel rugs -not sure on size
  • Fridge drip tray - Amazon one fits the standard fridge https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088LNNV9X/?tag=eliteelect-21
Please share yours. Thanks

Last edited:
Ikea kitchen shelves, costing some 20x less than the German & Swiss alternatives:

Great idea for a thread.

I like this idea. Does it stop things that are at the bottom of the fridge from freezing?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
The one on the bottom keeps items above the inevitable water that condenses out. You need something similar against the back wall, where the fridge coil heat exchanger is, to prevent freezing. Something to allow air circulation but keeping stuff from touching the wall, unless you want ice cubes.

Hi all.

I wondered if everyone could please share their best Cali shopping hacks in one post. Cali shopping hacks are alternatives to the more expensive 'VW' supplier items and a way to kit out the van with a smaller budget.

*No guarantees they will fit every model - all suggested in good faith, please do your own research*

I'll start this off with three I've saved from various posts on here (thank you to the original posters):

• Downstairs bed sheet (Ocean/Coast) - Dunelm small double (25cm depth for comfort mattress). Dove grey is a good match to the seats
  • Mat for in front of rear seats - 2x Dunelm Marvel rugs (80cm x 150cm) will cover area
  • Fridge drip tray - Amazon one fits the standard fridge https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088LNNV9X/?tag=eliteelect-21
Does anyone know which double sheet it is ? There's various types on the website and sizes seem to be just double, single or king, no reference to a small double ?

The one on the bottom keeps items above the inevitable water that condenses out. You need something similar against the back wall, where the fridge coil heat exchanger is, to prevent freezing. Something to allow air circulation but keeping stuff from touching the wall, unless you want ice cubes.
What do you use for the back wall Welsh Gas?

Same as the base. You need something to allow air circulation but keeping fridge contents from touching the back wall.
Salad stuff should be at the front and alcohol towards the back wall.
Fridge planning is very important and it is amazing how much you can fit in!

Hi all.

• Mat for in front of rear seats - 2x Dunelm Marvel rugs (80cm x 150cm) will cover area
What a good idea I'm sure we will all benefit from helpful shopping tips.

I use two of these side by side in the boot. They fit perfectly and work as giant drawers and slide easily on rubber floor. The one on the right I use without the lid and keep dirty things in it like wellingtons, washing up bowl and even portapotti which fits perfectly. The left one has sleeping bags etc. I also have another which on long trips I put above. Then when we arrive at campsite and put up pup tent it’s easy to transfer a lot of things in one go. I think 64L is correct size but perhaps worth checking dimensions.
I see people building slide out platforms, but this is an easy, cheap alternative.
4D56700F-5FA8-4323-B8B1-7895F12ED5F6.jpeg

I use two of these side by side in the boot. They fit perfectly and work as giant drawers and slide easily on rubber floor. The one on the right I use without the lid and keep dirty things in it like wellingtons, washing up bowl and even portapotti which fits perfectly. The left one has sleeping bags etc. I also have another which on long trips I put above. Then when we arrive at campsite and put up pup tent it’s easy to transfer a lot of things in one go. I think 64L is correct size but perhaps worth checking dimensions.
I see people building slide out platforms, but this is an easy, cheap alternative.
View attachment 72460
They fit perfectly. As you, I have 2, one full of "Now" items and the other "Later" items.

Great idea for a thread! Thank you

View attachment 72460
this is just what I have been looking for, thank you. would you be able to share a photo of how they fit into your van please?

View attachment 72460
Not sure if these will fit in the left of a T6.1 so you may only get 1 on the right. If they do its going to be tight due to bed mechanism. Good pics here from @GrumpyGranddad measured 12".

Obviously perfect for a T5/T6.

They fit perfectly. As you, I have 2, one full of "Now" items and the other "Later" items.
We use these, get the chairs out of the tailgate and face them close to each other, the boxes fit fine, decent height to get things out/sort things. Still leaves enough space at side to fit long items into the underseat side gap.

6CD085A3-C552-42AF-B4CD-26998962C1A1.jpeg87ED9668-88F1-4BF6-BD88-4698CF2518D6.jpeg773364FB-B69F-4AF2-AAA6-B18DEE2DC82E.jpeg
The small space on the left goes right under the bench. I slide chocks, gas cooker, front screen cover and a giant Rice Krispies in there!D9B86FEB-D891-4732-80CD-EC6DFA53BC4F.jpeg
Table cloth easy to grab for roadside picnics in France
1AF09FC6-6053-4539-95A5-DB38C2D0D0F5.jpegF82B60BA-77AA-4078-A4E1-BA58F4E290BD.jpeg

Great idea for a thread! Thank you

this is just what I have been looking for, thank you. would you be able to share a photo of how they fit into your van please?
They are 64litres size. Brilliant for packing. See photos.

Also these. My wife packs her clothes in it on the bed then I pick it up and it fits exactly in the bench drawer. (I stuff my clothes in a holdall!) I think this is the one. Perhaps check dimensions.
E02E7520-CCEA-4CA0-9217-CAFE56182422.jpeg
Of course in 2016 just as we were approaching the Chunnel, I realised I’d forgotten it. We then had to spend two hours in the H&M in the giant mall in Calais as my wife bought a new wardrobe.
We still laugh about 2016. Sort of.

Back