Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your best Cali shopping hacks

Hi all.

I wondered if everyone could please share their best Cali shopping hacks in one post. Cali shopping hacks are alternatives to the more expensive 'VW' supplier items and a way to kit out the van with a smaller budget.

*No guarantees they will fit every model - all suggested in good faith, please do your own research*

I'll start this off with three I've saved from various posts on here (thank you to the original posters):

• Downstairs bed sheet (Ocean/Coast) - Dunelm small double (25cm depth for comfort mattress). Dove grey is a good match to the seats
  • Mat for in front of rear seats - 2x Dunelm Marvel rugs (80cm x 150cm) will cover area
  • Fridge drip tray - Amazon one fits the standard fridge https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088LNNV9X/?tag=eliteelect-21
Please share yours. Thanks
Nice one. Fridge drip tray ordered.

*Public service announcement*

If anyone was after the Dunelm storage cube (which fits over the thetford 335 to hide it and make a seat), it's a couple of pounds off at the moment. Multiple colour options if you search.

Just to add, the idea is that you turn the storage cube upside down and sit it over the top of the thetford to hide it and make a seat. Then just pop the lid on what is actually the bottom of the storage cube. Don't try to put the thetford inside the cube!

If anyone was after the Dunelm storage cube (which fits over the thetford 335 to hide it and make a seat), it's a couple of pounds off at the moment. Multiple colour options if you search.

Just to add, the idea is that you turn the storage cube upside down and sit it over the top of the thetford to hide it and make a seat. Then just pop the lid on what is actually the bottom of the storage cube. Don't try to put the thetford inside the cube!
Sorted! Thanks...

This works so well!

The height also means on day trips we rarely spin the drivers seat anymore, as it’s perfect for sitting at the table for lunch. We just lean the seat slightly forward to make it more comfortable, if needed.

Don’t see the 335 going back in the boot again now!

Hi all.

I wondered if everyone could please share their best Cali shopping hacks in one post. Cali shopping hacks are alternatives to the more expensive 'VW' supplier items and a way to kit out the van with a smaller budget.

*No guarantees they will fit every model - all suggested in good faith, please do your own research*

I'll start this off with three I've saved from various posts on here (thank you to the original posters):

• Downstairs bed sheet (Ocean/Coast) - Dunelm small double (25cm depth for comfort mattress). Dove grey is a good match to the seats
  • Mat for in front of rear seats - Dunelm Marvel rugs -not sure on size
  • Fridge drip tray - Amazon one fits the standard fridge https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088LNNV9X/?tag=eliteelect-21
Please share yours. Thanks
Which drip tray size do you use? Is it the 39cm x 22.5cm?

Which drip tray size do you use? Is it the 39cm x 22.5cm?
I don't have one yet as Cali not arrived, but hopefully someone else can help? Otherwise, do a quick search in forum

I use two of these side by side in the boot. They fit perfectly and work as giant drawers and slide easily on rubber floor. The one on the right I use without the lid and keep dirty things in it like wellingtons, washing up bowl and even portapotti which fits perfectly. The left one has sleeping bags etc. I also have another which on long trips I put above. Then when we arrive at campsite and put up pup tent it’s easy to transfer a lot of things in one go. I think 64L is correct size but perhaps worth checking dimensions.
I see people building slide out platforms, but this is an easy, cheap alternative.
View attachment 72460
They have these in RYMANS online currently 2 for £25 plus £3.95 postage plus £1.62 cashback through Topcashback

Last edited:
Cheap fitted flannelette sheets for a 4 foot double bed, perfect for upstairs bed less than £5 each
cheap chopping board cut to make a cover for the cutlery drawer with a little notch to get it out easily
Aldi car storage boxes perfect for under the back shelf
eurohike double self inflating camping mat, makes a perfect mattress topper for downstairs bed and folds up really small

I’m always banging on about this also. Revolutionised our journeys, making a 2008 vehicle a 2021 dream.

Sony XAV-AX1000​

View attachment 72478
I have a question about this (if you don't mind)... do the reversing sensors still work with this aftermarket unit? I need to replace mine and have been looking at something like this.

@GrumpyGranddad Does anyone perhaps have a photo of how this looks on the bottom of the fridge? Does it completly take up the floor space of the bottom of the fridge or are there gaps on any of the sides?
tray.jpg

Does anyone perhaps have a photo of how this looks on the bottom of the fridge? Does it completly take up the floor space of the bottom of the fridge or are there gaps on any of the sides?
From memory there is a tiny gap with the fridge front/back and about 1cm side/side but that makes it easier to get in without having to take the basket out. I’ll try and get a photo for you.

I have a question about this (if you don't mind)... do the reversing sensors still work with this aftermarket unit? I need to replace mine and have been looking at something like this.
Yes it didn’t effect anything in the vehicle. The reversing sensors - I presume you mean the beeping - aren’t part of the stereo system. My 2008 T5 didn’t have any steering wheel stereo controls, which I think would be tricky to make work. You can connect a reversing camera to it apparently. It has a microphone that was placed near the rear view mirror that is for phone calls and controlling the stereo with your voice.

I use Waze (free) for satnav and have an Amazon Music account and Apple Music account. With my iPhone connected you can either say ‘Hey Siri play .....’ (or press the volume button instead of saying Hey Siri) and it’ll play practically anything. You can also dictate or listen to WhatsApp messages etc without taking your hands off the wheel. We also listen to audio books. For me Apple CarPlay is just brilliantly easy.
The original 2008 stereo was pretty useless. It cost about £240 for the DAB version and I paid £200 for someone to fit it.

@Virgil van Bike thanks for the photo! That helps! Looks almost like it was made for it.

@Dr-Snickers thanks alot.

@westfalia Danke!, but i like the idea of the tray cause it catches the water that can then easily be thrown out.
Doesn't really work like that.
1. Difficult to lift tray out without spilling water.
2. The moisture condenses on the base and sides so will mainly be under the tray.

Doesn't really work like that.
1. Difficult to lift tray out without spilling water.
2. The moisture condenses on the base and sides so will mainly be under the tray.
3. Extra weight with no use
A microfiber cloth will be much more effective to mop up the water quickly

Agreed, but a microfiber cloth won't prevent products inside the fridge from getting wet by the water buildup on the bottom.

Agreed, but a microfiber cloth won't prevent products inside the fridge from getting wet by the water buildup on the bottom.
I agree. The sink grid is useful as it keeps the food above the water. It is the additional tray underneath the grid to collect water that I find useless. It easier to remove the water with a cloth.

My reason is to keep food and packaging out of the condensed water. I have kept the tray as someone suggested that feet could cause an imprint/damage the fridge floor.

I agree. The sink grid is useful as it keeps the food above the water. It is the additional tray underneath the grid to collect water that I find useless. It easier to remove the water with a cloth.
Use the additional tray on the back wall, held in place by the fridge rack, to stop things sticking to the wall

Back