Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Zonesleep topper

I had one of these delivered at the end of the week and I had a look at the fit today. There have been some comments about the roof not closing properly at the rear. I think this is primarily due to it covering the flat corners at the rear of the mattress, where the small rear section of the original mattress has cut corners and is inset, the zonesleep does not. The roof must close very tight to the bed here, so unless we have all been sent the wrong mattress topper, there is a design flaw. I will contact them for advice.

Other observations, It is also a little narrower, as other people have mentioned. :headbang

It has been decided that its best not to leave the upstairs topper in the roof when it's closed
The toppers will now come with straps and a proper storage bag here are a few mor pictures

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks for the update, Kev.

When you spoke to them, were they interested in bevelling the rear corners? Or were they too nervous about liability in the event of roof damage? Or even about the effects on the mat itself of leaving it permanently compressed (in the same way that you're supposed to store a Thermarest open and flat)…?

Seems a shame for such a great idea to only get 90% of the way. Still tempted, mind!

Steve

Hi Steve. They looked at the roof topper in detail and just though it was slightly to thick to be left up there safely. Not taking away from the fact it's still a great product.zonesleep are concentrating on storage and will be producing straps and a bag to keep it neat and clean :thumb

Well I've just ordered a lower bed topper. Bag will follow once its been made! Works out as about the same as the Brandrup but the
breathability, compactness and wash-ability all appealed. Hope its worth it!!

Could the roof mattress be taken out and replaced with a thicker made to measure zonesleeper...?
Would really like a look at the zonesleeper at COTF if thats ok :cool:

Calikev said:
Hi Steve. They looked at the roof topper in detail and just though it was slightly to thick to be left up there safely. Not taking away from the fact it's still a great product.zonesleep are concentrating on storage and will be producing straps and a bag to keep it neat and clean :thumb

You are more than welcome to look I will have both upstairs and downstairs toppers on display :thumb

Excellent thanks
:thumb

Well, well... for me the most interesting point about the Zonesleep mattress was the fact that it could stay in the roof therefore saving some space in the van and some time to set up the upstairs sleeping arrangements.

The only problem is the bottom corners? Is it because the mattress goes all the way down over the second part of the VW mattress? Because in that case, they could make a "shorter version" that would stop before the second part and only cover the main mattress (?)

frigorifix said:
Well, well... for me the most interesting point about the Zonesleep mattress was the fact that it could stay in the roof therefore saving some space in the van and some time to set up the upstairs sleeping arrangements.

The only problem is the bottom corners? Is it because the mattress goes all the way down over the second part of the VW mattress? Because in that case, they could make a "shorter version" that would stop before the second part and only cover the main mattress (?)

Shorter suits me- my feet don't go that far!
I'd really like a zonesleep if it could stay upstairs

No the problem is not the bottom corners it is the thickness of the topper and the fact you have the bellows folding down as well.

I spoke to Tim at Zonesleep yesterday and he confirmed what Calikev has said above.
We have Raskelf memory foam toppers - two 60cm side by side, and although they are really comfy they are bulky and take up a lot of space in the boot.
Despite the fact that it is no longer recommended that the Zonesleep topper stays in situ we have decided to go ahead and order one as they are lighter, more compact and and should be easier to handle.
I'll be interested to see how it compares with memory foam for comfort.

Sounds like a few reviews are imminent ( I will do one too)!

I got postage free but nowt else. Might be worth encouraging a slightly better forum discount if interest is high enough.

I ordered a Zonesleep for downstairs and slept on it this weekend. I must say it is excellent. It irons out the lumps and bumps and gives a smooth surface. It is firm (which I like) but still has 'give'. It is cool to sleep on - I don't mean cold, but not at all sweaty (which i find with memory foam).

It's made up of a soft top and a mesh or web structure underneath. It folds or rolls up to a reasonable size. I will probably buy a storage bag once these are released. It is alose easy to wash at 40C.

Overall: highly recommended.

Yelekreb said:
I ordered a Zonesleep for downstairs and slept on it this weekend. I must say it is excellent. It irons out the lumps and bumps and gives a smooth surface. It is firm (which I like) but still has 'give'. It is cool to sleep on - I don't mean cold, but not at all sweaty (which i find with memory foam).

It's made up of a soft top and a mesh or web structure underneath. It folds or rolls up to a reasonable size. I will probably buy a storage bag once these are released. It is alose easy to wash at 40C.

Overall: highly recommended.

Sounds great; we should get ours mid week - can't wait!

Hoping to get ours tomorrow. Slightly odd service so far but if it arrives tomorrow, I will be happy. If it doesn't, I will be a bit disappointed.

Will let you all know if it arrives (or doesn't?!).

EDIT (19.20, 2/5/13)

Nothing to show it might turn up tomorrow.

Sounds like it may have arrived; phew!

Will review next week.

Not the smoothest of orders but its here and it looks pretty good! Very unusual design but it looks tough, pretty comfortable and its fairly compact too. Testing it tonight...

First night on it and very impressed; extremely comfortable yet stores away easily.

Some slightly odd loose threads/fluff on the mesh side but hopefully nothing to worry about.

Recommended!

Just a quick previw of the zonesleep bag
This contains the upstairs topper but the bag will be the same for the lower one

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1367766320629.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1367766352216.jpg

Looks good; I've emailed asking for one.

This topper is definitely a good product; very good in fact. But communication does need improving.

Also do any of you with one have loose cotton threads and/or "fluff?" Slightly concerned about durability.

But overall, a great product. Unusual but innovative and very effective.

Thought a few pics might be useful just to show the packed up size and shape as well as the unusual material it's made from:

It's fairly thin so can be folded, rolled, whatever - this is (mostly) in the plastic bag it came in - e'll get a proper bag soon:

975422_10151355356227805_846048071_n.jpg

Close up of the material showing both sides - the "mesh" is made of a few layers that somehow support themselves - clever stuff!

975136_10151355355407805_527550969_n.jpg

Side view showing the thickness (about 1.5" I'd say) with the "mesh" on the lower side and the soft upper side - very comfortable.

960854_10151355355047805_613187928_n.jpg

It doesn't look as OEM as the Brandrup topper but I think it should last well.

I'd rather see a slightly more attractive discount (I got less than 4%) for forum members and comms need improving but we're pretty impressed with it overall. It's an expensive product at £275 + £10 delivery and the bag will be £40 (hope I can get something off that!) but I reckon it's worth it.

Cheers Matt
Good review. Going to try a long weekend in my Cali this weekend to iron out any problems before we drive out to Switzerland on the 1st of June.

The wife and I have discussed this topper for downstairs.
I'm thinking camping mem foam, then zonesleeper, then sheet.

Fingers crossed should make a half reasonable bed :cool:

Soulstyle said:
Cheers Matt
Good review. Going to try a long weekend in my Cali this weekend to iron out any problems before we drive out to Switzerland on the 1st of June.

The wife and I have discussed this topper for downstairs.
I'm thinking camping mem foam, then zonesleeper, then sheet.

Fingers crossed should make a half reasonable bed :cool:

That should work rather well! We were in sleeping bags but for our euro trip it'll be a sheet and a blanket to save space. With two kids, space is limited so it had to be something nice and compact. We certainly slept well on it on our trial night. Errrmmm, slightly assisted by a few large bottles of Kingfisher...

I assume this is too thick to be stored in the roof (when closed) whilst not in use downstairs..??

BillyBain said:
I assume this is too thick to be stored in the roof (when closed) whilst not in use downstairs..??

There is an upstairs version too which was originally meant to be okay to store upstairs but there were a few issues; its just a bit too thick I think. Sheets are okay but not a lot else.