Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£109k - No thanks

Wasn’t exactly the point I was making. Convertors are never going to achieve the same price for the same product because they don’t enjoy transfer pricing on the base vehicle. Like for like, a converted van will be more expensive. This forces the market to adjust and offer greater customisation options to compete.
Wasn't ecactly your point? Maybe but for me this was what you showed: the california isn't that much (of an evolved product) and a converted transporter is rightfully expensive. Everyone has their own idea, but I don't think so: some existing elements and carpet in a transporter they bought with some fancy stuff added can't be higher in price than a California from the factory. I'm still looking forward to a 'to the point' (and certainly not such an overly decorated transporter as in the video) small campervan that is cheaper (should be in my opinion about converted vans). I have seen this video:
and like the concept... I think it's just pricey enough. Converters can make the same price for a product like a california (by the way: converters can get special prices, they can even order transporters with the California folding roof themselves) and even less expensive for a back to basic, well designed product. They can of course ask a good price for their effort and ideas but come on: more than a factory built california?

edit: or this one:
I like it and the price is.... a little less than our -hopefully- soon to be delivered T6.1 california coast.

Last edited:
Personally I would not have a complex air ride system especially if I wild camped a lot. If it fails can the vehicle even be driven? I assume it can but compromised. Finding a qualified repair center wherever you happened to be nigh on impossible. These utilitarian vehicles are already too complex with their electronics. I would go with this option or a similar design. Not cheap (at least the German made variant I saw) but offers the same functionality ie leveling capability without the potential headaches.

Worst scenario is a completely burst/split airbag but that is very rare as is a completely broken steel spring. Van drops to its lowest ride height, bump stop. Too low for anything other than on road use but driveable.

Levelling with air is more of a side benefit rather than the reason to have it.

Air would suit wild camping due to its ability to increase the ride height for off road tracks and areas.

A bit like saying that the option for DSG or 4 Motion shouldn't be taken due the complexity and what if it fails.

No electric roof - essential for me. Only one table. And for that money I'd want electrically operated bed and tailgate.
LOVE those wheels though!
Me too: I love the wheels.

Wasn't ecactly your point? Maybe but for me this was what you showed: the california isn't that much (of an evolved product) and a converted transporter is rightfully expensive.
For what it’s worth my point was about relative economics but if you going to misquote me, I feel it’s time to just start agreeing with you.

For what it’s worth my point was about relative economics but if you going to misquote me, I feel it’s time to just start agreeing with you.
Misquote= to repait something someone has said in a way that is not accurate; sorry but I do not think I did that, mistakingly using your words. I clearly say "Maybe but for me this was what you showed" and then I refer to what you wrote before.
This started about how you feel about the prices and I wanted responding to that because I think nuance is more appropriate. So you don't have to agree with me at all, but re-read everything - including yours - carefully.
Also no need to worry about it, everyone has their own idea about this, right? I posted my idea about it and I stick with it: those converted vans are often overpriced and the california is well designed. Just think about it, it's like relative economics (= value in terms of some other good, service, or bundle of good to make comparisons of different goods at the same moment of time/ I do understand the term, so no problem here ;) ): an overprized converted transporter with self-designed elements, existing elements in comparison of a well designed campervan, built in a factory by workers.
Why is that converted van so expensive then? My guess: they know they won't sell lots of them so they want to make big money on that one they will sell.
So, misquote: If you really think so: sorry :oops: Was not my intention.

Last edited:
There was/is a problem with those wheels mock bolt on rims corroding soon after purchase around the mock bolts.
For real? That's a shame, I still like them but won't buy them: when our coast is delivered (when Volkswagen pleases), I already have an idea for our standard steel rims ;)

Last edited:
I have been realising lately that I am out of touch with prices generally. Yesterday's confirmation was £69 for a family of four to enter Beaulieu. But £109k!?!? You really have lost the plot if you spend that on a builder's van.
Unless it included a builder or two of course!

For real? That's a shame, I still like them but won't buy them: when our coast is delivered (when Volkswagen pleases), I already have an idea for our standard steel rims ;)
All black painted similar version may not have the corrosion issue. Not too sure about cleaning the mock beaded rim.
30mm offset is 25mm less than standard rims and 1" wider, would need arch extensions to keep mud at bay.

Back