Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

×Diesel heater question

Ray Cali

Ray Cali

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, how do you use the diesel heater with a drive away awning attached to the van or do you not?

Depends on which way the winds blowing, whether you have a separate inner section, I’m guessing it’s cold, so you’ll close the side door.
So it’s all good. Doesn’t use a lot of fuel or pump out a lot of smog.

We often use an awning, and have the heater running in the van. We don’t notice any odours in the awning - it has a joining / tunnel section though.

You can get an inflatable thing which goes under the van to block wind coming into the awning. It would also stop the fumes I guess. I have no firsthand knowledge of these, just seen them mentioned a few times.

You can get an inflatable thing which goes under the van to block wind coming into the awning. It would also stop the fumes I guess. I have no firsthand knowledge of these, just seen them mentioned a few times.
We’ve seen this in use, and it is effective. Something else to pack though.

You get more noticeable fumes from a neighbour firing up there vehicle to charge the battery / ipads, clear the windscreen etc. The fumes from the Cali camping heater are minimal.

Thank you for your replies, did not fancy killing anybody sleeping in the room of the awning

Thank you for your replies, did not fancy killing anybody sleeping in the room of the awning
The amount of Carbon Monoxide produced by the Parking Heater is so low it requires sophisticated equipment to measure as the diesel is burnt rather than combusted as in a diesel engine. Any smell produced is normally on startup and is unburnt diesel which rapidly disappears as the heater gets upto temperature.

Back