Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

100,000 Californias

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
I see VW have just announced they have built 100,000 Calis now....

Parked nose to tail, they should reach from London to Land’s End! :D

I wonder, if in a few years time, the same group will be sat proudly around their "100,000th roof repair!"....:shocked

100,000 refers to those produced at Hanover plant. I guess other 60,000 produced elsewhere before Hanover?

"To date, more than 160,000 examples of the vehicle have rolled off the production line since its debut nearly 30 years ago – but this 100,000 milestone is a big one for VW. "

Don't follow this, are there 60,000 more in the car park?:confused:

That sentence confuses me also..... Maybe 60,000 Beaches and 100,000 SE/Oceans? Or, maybe 60,000 in their previous factory before moving to Hannover-Limmer plant? Who knows :rolleyes:

60,000 were produced elsewhere before VW took the whole project in house and opened the Hannover plant.

Or perhaps 60000 awaiting software fixes or emissions testing.
:headbang

From VW press release....

"California production
This home on four wheels began its story of success 30 years ago. The
California was developed jointly with 'Westfalia'. It was based on the third
generation of the Transporter and initially produced in Rheda-Wiedenbrück. Since 2004, the California has been developed and made by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles exclusively at the Hannover-Limmer plant. The California production facility covers approximately 13,000 square metres.
A workforce of around 300 is employed there, operating in three shifts. The base vehicles come to Limmer on trucks from the main Hannover-Stöcken plant. The bodies are prepared for the next stage of production
and thus have the necessary cut-out for the pop-up roof. Working by hand, experts fit out the California (prices from €43,221 incl. VAT) to customer specifications. Just recently, for being the most popular compact camper van, the California was awarded the title "Mobile Home of the
Year 2018". Over 30 years, since the California was launched, more than 160,000 units have been produced in total, 100,000 of them in Hannover-Limmer."

since its debut nearly 30 years ago.

That´s still the T3 and they were produced in Hannover since 1979
i´m confused dot com.

These figures must come from the same source as the fuel consumption on the MFD. Pure fantasy?

I love the way VW have managed to claim the T3 Westfalia California as being something down to them and gloss over totally the later falling out with Westfalia which led to them finally doing their own camper in house with the T5!

At last someone who knows how to spell the plural of California and Cali without an apostrophe...
As Cali is an abbreviation I reckon it should be have an apostrophe before the s

It is a legitimate point.

"No HGV's" is an abbreviation of "No heavy goods vehicles" with "V's" a contraction of the word vehicles. Using an apostrophe to show a contraction is correct.

I'd prefer to use "No HGVs", but my preference doesn't make the alternate spelling incorrect.

"Calis" or "Cali's" are both suitable contractions of "Californias". "California's" is incorrect as the plural form of "California"

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

My computer changes it to Calais :confused:

Computer knows best. We're all driving Calais. ;)

Nope. Oxford Dictionaries says:

The general rule is that you should not use an apostrophe to form the plurals of nouns, abbreviations, or dates made up of numbers: just add -s (or -es, if the noun in question forms its plural with -es).

There are one or two cases in which it is acceptable to use an apostrophe to form a plural, purely for the sake of clarity:

you can use an apostrophe to show the plurals of single letters:

I've dotted the i's and crossed the t's.

Find all the p's in appear.

you can use an apostrophe to show the plurals of single numbers:

Find all the number 7’s.

These are the only cases in which it is generally considered acceptable to use an apostrophe to form plurals: remember that an apostrophe should never be used to form the plural of ordinary nouns, names, abbreviations, or numerical dates.

BTW: the plural of hero is heroes, not hero's....

The general rule is that you should not use an apostrophe to form the plurals of nouns, abbreviations, or dates made up of numbers: just add -s (or -es, if the noun in question forms its plural with -es).

There are one or two cases in which it is acceptable to use an apostrophe to form a plural, purely for the sake of clarity:

Find all the number 7’s.

These are the only cases in which it is generally considered acceptable to use an apostrophe to form plurals: remember that an apostrophe should never be used to form the plural of ordinary nouns, names, abbreviations, or numerical dates.

My response was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley. I learnt long ago not to get involved in grammar and spelling semantics online. I am currently spending a lot of time with my grandchildren and "Oh no it's no.... Oh yes it is....Oh not it's not" came to mind.

but if you want to smile, currently trying to buy a fill-up hose for my Sisters caravan and on an outdoor camping and tracking shop. Someone was having a bad day when they wrote this description:

"This Full Up Hose from W4 comprises of a tube and a tap connector to make it easier when filling up a water carrier from a top"

Find all the number 7’s.

Is "Cali's" the plural of "Cali" or a contraction of "Californias"? As it would be wrong as the plural of "Cali", it must be a contraction of "Californias" which is correct.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I am now going out in Calais No 99,976 to enjoy the weekend

PS: Many thank's to everyone for the explanation's on apostrophe's. ;)

Back