Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

110w hairdryer not powering up

C

Caliadventurer

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have bought a 110w hair dryer in the hope of using it off hook up (we have solar).
However when we plug it into the two prong socket it makes a high pitch noise and doesn’t work.

Does anyone have an advice or experience?

Does it work in a socket at home ?

We have bought a 110w hair dryer in the hope of using it off hook up (we have solar).
However when we plug it into the two prong socket it makes a high pitch noise and doesn’t work.

Is it rated at max 110W or continuous 110W. Alot of motors have a very high starting current much above their normal continuous one, and heaters can be the same when the element is cold it's resistance is lower so it will draw more current until hot when everything settles to the continuous current / power. If it is max 110W then ignore all this.

Is it rated at max 110W or continuous 110W. Alot of motors have a very high starting current much above their normal continuous one, and heaters can be the same when the element is cold it's resistance is lower so it will draw more current until hot when everything settles to the continuous current / power. If it is max 110W then ignore all this.
I can’t tell from the description- it’s this one if it makes any sense to you?

As above, or it might be that the hairdryer is sensitive to the " Sine Wave " form of the mains voltage output as the Inverter fitted is not a true sine wave inverter. Some electric toothbrush chargers don't work for that reason.

As above, or it might be that the hairdryer is sensitive to the " Sine Wave " form of the mains voltage output as the Inverter fitted is not a true sine wave inverter. Some electric toothbrush chargers don't work for that reason.
As above, or possibly the startup draw is too high. We have used a Jackery 1000 in the past for hair drying etc, and now use a bigger AC 2000 Max Bluetti, both of which do have the pure sign wave inverter and plenty of power.

As above, or possibly the startup draw is too high. We have used a Jackery 1000 in the past for hair drying etc, and now use a bigger AC 2000 Max Bluetti, both of which do have the pure sign wave inverter and plenty of power.
Thanks! I didn’t realise there was so much to this. I doubt we’d want to use a power pack so to speak. I think I’ll have to hunt to see if such a hair dryer for the van exists. Thanks so much for your guidance

I'd read the new 6.1 Inverter does not suffer the sine wave issue of older Calis? (Know OP is a T6, but checking my 6.1 understanding)

Are you sure it's 110W and not 110V? We searched a lot of hairdrers and even with our 300W Inverter realised it was not possible so just have a John Lewis mini one that is recommended by cabin crew and use that on hook up. A quick search just now of 110W Hair Dryer brings nothing up, but yours might be very specific. There are plenty of 110V hairdryers, which are rated usually at 1200W, which would be why the Inverter cuts out.

I'd read the new 6.1 Inverter does not suffer the sine wave issue of older Calis? (Know OP is a T6, but checking my 6.1 understanding)
Sorry, I have no idea if the T6.1 inverter is true sine wave, or at least better, compared with its predecessor.

Sorry, I have no idea if the T6.1 inverter is true sine wave, or at least better, compared with its predecessor.
Found it - was the update from @calibusje from his dealer trip. Seems the 6.1, or at least later 300W ones, has a flat sine wave. Not for OP issue but for my sanity. For my 2p the OP has a 110V hairdryer, not 110W.

Found it - was the update from @calibusje from his dealer trip. Seems the 6.1, or at least later 300W ones, has a flat sine wave. Not for OP issue but for my sanity. For my 2p the OP has a 110V hairdryer, not 110W.

You are probably correct. The lowest wattage I could find was 500w.