Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LCD TV for California

H

Helli

Hi,
Just taken delivery of my new 4WD Cali - delighted! Going through some mods that VW could not do.. and now turning to fitting an LCD TV. DOes nayone have experience of fitting a flat screen TV and if so how and where? A drop down will not work with the elevating roof, and I don't want to fit in the headrests. Ideas?
Paul :help

Re: LCD TV for Calirofnia

Martin Adams has fitted a tv to his Cali. T5WOB. He might help you :thumb

We are considering a dvd combi unit. We'll use it "freestanding" and stick it behind the seats when not using it.
There are threads on TVs elsewhere in here. No doubt someone brighter than me will provide a link.

We've got an avtex but didn't want it installed permanently due to space issues and the fact that we don't use it all the time.
When in use it sits either on the worktop or one of the front seats. We could do with a strap of some kind to fix it to one of the headrests but I've never got round to looking into it.
Martin has his installed in the wardrobe on one of those adjustable arms so he can pull it out when needed i think.
A nifty idea but not for us.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've discounted the various different (expensive) DVD/TV combos (ugly/bulky or expensive with limited functionality) for an iPad with the EyeTV TV tuner & a Vogel RingO mounting system...

eyetvmobile-productpages-titel-1_EN_121120.jpg

Mount to the wardrobe area or C pillars
Vogel-s-TMM-125-RingO-Flex-Wall-Mount-iPad-iPad-2-iPad-3-iPad-4-26112012-1.jpg
147352219028707463_af7TnTBW_c.jpg

mounted on the rear headrest with the adaptor, for watching in the back on the move...

VogelsRingO1.jpg

Once I've got it in the van I'll post some pics of how it looks

The iPod adpater with mount looks great - will look into this. Thanks. Fall back, as suggeted, is a free standing unit that we pack away when travelling and bring out as needed.
Many thanks to all that have responded.
Off to Vanworx tomorrow to get the Cali lowered.... was good to find someone that could do this on a 4Motion DSG.
Paul

Now that is a brilliant gadget.... next on the list of purchases!

Enjoy your Cali btw :D

Off to Vanworx tomorrow to get the Cali lowered.... was good to find someone that could do this on a 4Motion DSG.
Paul

What about your warranty on your new Cali :eek:

Gary&Heather said:
Paul

That's very interesting - what's made you decide to do that?

James

Gary&Heather said:
Paul

i can see why VW wouldn't lower the 4motion paul and could cause warranty issue's ,but i'm sure you've thought about it before booking it up ...

choplee said:
Gary&Heather said:
Paul

i can see why VW wouldn't lower the 4motion paul and could cause warranty issue's ,but i'm sure you've thought about it before booking it up ...

Of course it can be done - anything can be done - people show endless creativity and imagination when it comes to modding a T5 van.

The 4 Motion is very different though

I've thought about fitting a TV/DVD combo on a flat metal bar that goes under the elevating roof that can be slid to the rear when the roof is up and moved forwards as necessary when the roof is down - obviously it would need a L shape at the end to stop it tipping from the weight of the television and a hinge / swivel arrangement to attach the TV - to keep it tidy the leads could be fitted with sockets that stop at the L piece so when not being used it is tidy - the TV can be watched in bed / from the bench seat and from the front if desired with the correct arrangement - the L pieces would be covered with something soft to protect the roof and the bar to protect your head!!. It just needs a slim and light enough tv maybe up to 22inch - just an idea I've had for a while but not 'got around to it' yet ( like so much else) !!

I have thought that one of these tiny projectors beamed onto the underside of the roof or the bellows would be pretty cool...

Hi AndyFromTheBrac ,

Does the Eyetv mobile connector work for the UK only or will it also work abroad to pick up TV stations of the Country you are in. eg : French FTA channels when in France etc or does this require a different gadget ?

Thanks

In any area with a wifi or 3G signal you can use your iPad to watch tv using TV Catchup or similar app. No need for the roof antenna etc etc. in many areas the 3G signal or wifi is just as good as the tv signal

Beardie

Thanks for the tip. Now on my iPad. I split my time between a village and a Manchester city centre flat where there is a terrible tv reception caused by various tower blocks.

This app gives me proper terrestrial tv again

Sorry dfps, I wasn't paying attention here. Yep, as you discovered it works anywhere

As Beardie says the best way is probably using the various players/catchup services out there

In fact I use Plex http://www.plexapp.com which I find stunning and gives me the benefits of being able to watch tv when I want, rather than be slave to the tv guides. Works on iOS devices, androids and the new style "smart" wifi TVs (or the little inexpensive Roku media streamers, which are very neat). In fact, almost anything. It's also very cheap!

For anyone interested, pm me. Cant praise this setup highly enough. I've attached a couple of screenies of it on the iPad. First one is just a snippet of my tv collection. This can also be synced to the iPad/tab (without iTunes etc) & then watched offline, when you're *really* remote :) Second screenie shows the various "channels" that link thru to the catchup services.

Regards,

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365799389.344635.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365799428.311577.jpg

In most European countries the freeview technical standard is now DVB-T, which will be phased out by 2017. The current generation of Eye Tv and the like will not work with the new technique called DVB-T2.

All the best from Amsterdam,

Marc

I have a small tv tuner as I wanted to pick up DAB too - it is all but useless in more rural areas (including on my drive!) without a bigger aerial

The Philips Picopix mini projector is great.. I have it with the antenna so it picks up the basic freeview channels when the signal is strong enough, it has its own battery power.. You can attach your iPad for films etc. The only problem is the sound it's to so loud, but it works for us in our Cali.. We use the back window blind as the screen, try storing a tv that size in the van.

Serious guys , mounting TV screens in a Cali.....?:headbang
A I-pad keeping the kids busy , OK...

I just go to the drive-in movies if i want to watch the latest by Angelina Jolie in my Cali....:kiss