Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12V short curcuit?

when they attached my bikecarrier they made a shorting under the driversat and blew up my 100A headfuse below the start battery and also i think they blew my fuse of the second rear battery, Does anybody know how i can measure this problem. I tested the rearbattery when the loadingcable 230 V is coupled and the results were 14.0 on the top of the plus pole and 12.3 at the downsite of the plus pole so i think the fuse is broken on that battery. can anybody advice me please.

DavidA said:
Quick update - by shorting the battery under the seat while trying to disconnect and change it, the fuse that blew was a 50 amp fuse attached to the positive terminal of the second battery in the rear!

Problem solved - thanks for all the replies and information.

Thanks David for confirming that there is a fuse attached to the positive terminal of the second leisure battery,

A good tip is to always disconnect the negative (earthed connection) first when disconnecting a battery. If you then accidentally did short the positive battery terminal to earth, when disconnecting the positive connection, you will not blow any fuses as there is no longer a complete circuit.

In the case of the Cali leisure batteries, as there are two of them connected in parallel, it would be wise to disconnect both negative battery leads on the two leisure batteries first. :thumb

John