Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12V sockets and reading lights not working

L

LTW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
California Beach T6 2017 - I've just realised the 12v rear sockets X 3 and rear reading lights & boot light aren't working. I recently plugged an electrical drill into the van and thought this might have tripped the circuit breaker. I located the breaker and I don't think it had tripped. I've subsequently plugged in the mains electric, tested the circuit breaker and reset. The 240v plug, 12v rear sockets and rear lights work on hookup only. I've plugged in a voltage meter and its reading 13.9V. I've recently fitted one of Roger's solar panels with bluetooth receiver and had a planar heater fitted by Pete. I've been unable to work out which fuse covers the problem and where it's located. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I've just realised the 12v rear sockets and rear lights aren't working. I recently plugged an electrical drill into the van and thought this might have tripped the circuit breaker. I located the breaker and I don't think it had tripped. I've subsequently plugged in the mains electric, tested the circuit breaker and reset. The 240v plug, 12v rear sockets and rear lights work on hookup only. I've plugged in a voltage meter and its reading 13.9V. I've recently fitted one of Roger's solar panels with bluetooth receiver and had a planar heater fitted by Pete. I've been unable to work out which fuse covers the problem and where it's located. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.
Am I correct, lights and 12v sockets work on hook-up but don’t work from the Leisure Battery?
Is the 13.9 volts measured with Mains Hook-up connected or Solar Connected .?
What voltage does the Leisure Battery show on its own and is it actually connected?

I thought the rear 12V sockets and reading lights worked off grid, how does my coolbox work when driving and wouldn't it drain the leisure battery if I left it plugged in with the engine off. The 13.9 reading is on hook up and using a volt meter that plugs into the 12V socket. Looking at my solar panel app on my phone the battery is showing 12.9 without hookup. I'm starting to wonder whether something hasn't been reconnected when the heater was fitted.

I thought the rear 12V sockets and reading lights worked off grid, how does my coolbox work when driving and wouldn't it drain the leisure battery if I left it plugged in with the engine off. The 13.9 reading is on hook up and using a volt meter that plugs into the 12V socket. Looking at my solar panel app on my phone the battery is showing 12.9 without hookup. I'm starting to wonder whether something hasn't been reconnected when the heater was fitted.
The 12v sockets and ceiling lights are powered from the Leisure Battery as is your fridge if plugged into a 12v socket in the habitation area.
When plugged into the electrical mains a Battery charger charges the 12v Leisure Battery hence the voltage reading of 13.9 volt, and also the Mains socket becomes live.
When the engine is running the alternator will charge both the engine battery and leisure battery and if you measure the voltage it should be about 14.5 volts after about 10 minutes with engine running.
The fridge would flatten the leisure battery, depending on the setting and type of fridge, after about 24 to 48_ hrs.
During a sunny day, Not on mains hookup, you should be seeing a voltage of anywhere between 13 to 14+ volts from the Solar Panel from your voltmeter and at night that voltage will drop to the 12.9 volts of just your Leisure Battery.

Does the Heater fire up? That runs off the Leisure Battery.

I think your reasoning is correct.

The Solar Panel should be connected to the Leisure Battery Direct. Hence the 12.9 volts via your Solar app.

The Leisure Battery should be connected to the Habitation area fuses located under the front passenger seat.

The Mains Charger is connected to the Habitation circuitry and hence Leisure Battery under the front passenger seat.

The engine alternator, via a special relay, is connected to the Habitation circuitry under the front passenger seat.

I think the Leisure battery has been disconnected from the Habitation circuits either due to all wires not being reconnected or a blown fuse between the leisure battery and the Habitation fuse box etc.

With the Leisure battery out of circuit the rear lights and 12v sockets would only work on Mains hookup via the charger or when the engine was running.

Thanks for taking the time to send such a comprehensive reply. Once I finish work today, I'll have a look at the fuses under the passenger seat, thanks again.

Another member had work done and they left off one of the fuse feed wires off the battery terminal, it had dropped down the side of the battery.
So check for loose terminals that may have come off the battery terminal and check fuses etc.
For reference, the beach with a single leisure battery should look like this.
Camper Electrics single battery.jpg

Another member had work done and they left off one of the fuse feed wires off the battery terminal, it had dropped down the side of the battery.
So check for loose terminals that may have come off the battery terminal and check fuses etc.
For reference, the beach with a single leisure battery should look like this.
View attachment 59961
Looking at that diagram, if the lead from charger and lead to Camper Fuses are crimped into 1 connector and Not connected to the Leisure Batteries then that would allow the Camper electrics, lights & 12v sockets to work BUT only when connected to the mains, using the Charger as the power source rather than the Leisure Battery, and no Camper electrics when not on Mains Hookup.
The Split Charge relay would charge the battery but not power the Camper electrics and likewise the Solar Panel would charge the Leisure Battery and not power the Camper electrics.

Thanks for taking the time to send such a comprehensive reply. Once I finish work today, I'll have a look at the fuses under the passenger seat, thanks again.
See posts above.

You might have to unbolt the front passenger seat to get a good look at all the battery connections. Easily done.

Switch Off Ignition and put key in a safe place - there is a reason.

Undo the 4 bolts holding the seat to the sliding base rails. Tip the seat forward so that the backrest rests on the dashboard.
There are a number of wires running into the seat. These can be disconnected, but you don't really need to, if you want to move the seat. These wires are for air bag and seat heating. If the Ignition is switched ON while these are disconnected you will have an error on dashboard that can only be switched off using a diagnostic computer. So DON'T.
Remove the rubber battery cover and all the connections will be exposed for easy checking.
Reassembly is the reverse.

Thanks again for the replies, I've run out of time tonight and plan to take a look on the weekend.

I've just manged to remove the seat and the brown cable isn't connected to anything. What should it be bolted to ?

I've just manged to remove the seat and the brown cable isn't connected to anything. What should it be bolted to ?
Normally brown in vw wiring is earth, but electricians use it as live. So is it original wiring or additional?
what does it go to?
photo?

All sorted, I connected the cable to the negative terminal on battery and everything is working as normal. Thanks again to everyone's input, this forum is invaluable. Loz we'll have to meet up once we're back to "normality"

Just a small reminder: in VAG cars, brown is always connected to earth.
Sometimes brown can be accompanied by another color (black/white/yellow/ ...) but that can mean a sensor earth.

Glad you found the problem. Any clue on what could have happened to disconnect that brown wire?