Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v Socket in boot area

pingpal6

pingpal6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Does anyone know what fuse feeds the 12v socket in the boot area?

The 12v socket in the boot is not working in my California.
I asked the local dealership if they could fix this whilst the van was in for its 1st year service (i asked for an oil change and service as the van has now done 10,500).
They said the 12v socket was not covered by the warranty and they would need an hour labour "to remove the passenger seat to check the fuse". I declined.

I contacted VWCV and they also said that its not covered by the warranty and its a wear and tear item, that is only covered in the first 6500. I bought the van from a vw dealer when it already had 6500 miles on the clock. Due to lockdown the van was bought unseen, and delivered to my house 200 miles away. I did report the non-working socket to the dealer and they said it would be covered under warranty at the next service.

I've checked all the fuses with a multi meter and they are all working. Just to be sure I even changed the fuse but the 12v in the boot is still not working.

I've emailed VWCV again to see if it's just the fuse they consider wear and tear item or indeed the 12v socket (that has never been used).

Ive also contacted the dealer I bought the car from and they are checking with their workshop which is the correct fuse, just in case its in a location I have not checked.

I contacted VWCV and they also said that its not covered by the warranty and its a wear and tear item
seems a bit of cop-out to me.

The boot socket in my van did not work. All fuses were okay. I checked the socket with a multimeter. There was no voltage on the center contact and no earth on the outer ring. I removed the side panel and discovered that the wiring loom connector was not connected in the factory. If you Check your socket and find both the 12volt and earth connection are missing it would prove that the socket was not connected in the factory and you could claim for a factory defect from VW.

Does the side panel just pop off? I might need to move the multi flex board forward.

It is difficult to totally remove. If you first remove the rear floor strip at the tailgate. It pulls off. There is another plastic strip underneath this that screws off. Pull the plastic cover with the louvres from the side panel. You can then pull the bottom of the side panel out a few inches to check the back of the socket. The socket is held with a screwed locking ring. The wiring loom connector would be on the floor just behind the socket. There are 2 metal clips that hold the side panel to the wheel arch. If these unclip they are very difficult to relocate. If you wedge a length of timber from the side panel just beyond the socket to the opposite side of the van you will be able to get enough space to work with the side panel slightly bent. I don't know about the multiplex board as I have a Coast.

Back