Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v socket next to bench seat advice

homerorchid

homerorchid

VIP Member
Can anyone tell me if the 12v socket next to the bench seat uses the vehicle battery or one of the leisure batties? Also do the leisure batties supply power for different things ie the one under the front passenger seat snd the one under the wardrobe. Thanks for any advice

Can anyone tell me if the 12v socket next to the bench seat uses the vehicle battery or one of the leisure batties? Also do the leisure batties supply power for different things ie the one under the front passenger seat snd the one under the wardrobe. Thanks for any advice
Both batteries are wired in parallel. The socket next to the seat is from the Leisure Batteries, as are all sockets behind front seats.

Thank you very much for your help WelshGas, much appreciated

The socket on the front end of the cupboards next to 240v plug is wired to the engine battery on my T5.1, as is the 12v socket in the ash tray /cup holder on the dash.
The one on top of the dashboard is wired to the leisure batteries.

The socket on the front end of the cupboards next to 240v plug is wired to the engine battery on my T5.1, as is the 12v socket in the ash tray /cup holder on the dash.
The one on top of the dashboard is wired to the leisure batteries.

Do you know how it is with a T5 SE from 2005 re kitchen 12v?

Sorry, don't know .
Mine is 2015. Very surprised to find the kitchen socket is from the engine battery, not expecting that but have confirmed and dymo labelled it as such !

The Kitchen socket should be wired to the Leisure Battery. If not it is a mistake.

The 12v Socket in the pull out drinks holder ( cigarette lighter ) is wired to the Engine Battery.

The Dash top 12v socket should be wired to the leisure battery. This was an extra socket introduced on the California, I think.

Sorry, don't know .
Mine is 2015. Very surprised to find the kitchen socket is from the engine battery, not expecting that but have confirmed and dymo labelled it as such !
I'm surprised as well as it is a made to measure wiring loom for the kitchen wardrobe unit that ends in a large multi-plug under the unit. So the other half must be wired wrongly. probably somewhere under the Passenger seat.

The Dash top 12v socket should be wired to the leisure battery. This was an extra socket introduced on the California, I think.
Thank you very much! I just checked my 2005 T5 California SE comes without that socket.

Thank you very much! I just checked my 2005 T5 California SE comes without that socket.
I’m not sure but I think it came in on the T5.1 so about 2010 onwards.

I’m not sure but I think it came in on the T5.1 so about 2010 onwards.

My 2011 T5.1 (GP) does not have a 12 socket on the dash. Only a cigarette-lighter-style one in the slide-out.

My 2011 T5.1 (GP) does not have a 12 socket on the dash. Only a cigarette-lighter-style one in the slide-out.
Different countries had different extras at different times. My 2014 has the extra socket.

Mine too, the mainland european ones all had the comfort dashboard, UK ones had
transporter van dashes on the earlier ones, it might have changed now.

Its not any kind of extra like WG says, not saying that he's wrong
he's just not right. :)

Mine too, the mainland european ones all had the comfort dashboard, UK ones had
transporter van dashes on the earlier ones, it might have changed now.

Its not any kind of extra like WG says, not saying that he's wrong
he's just not right. :)
Not a paid for extra. It was just there. Not mentioned in any brochure I saw when ordering.

Dashboard top socket came in mid 2013. There are a few threads on this site about retrofitting it together with a new tray. I've added it to my 2012 Beach, in the retrofit case its wired to the vehicle battery.

I went with this option, as my pull out ashtray rattles when opened. Plus it is just in the way of movement if opened.

IMG_20190504_213152.jpg
Yes, I also have the Multivan dashboard.