SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
:help Advice sort.
Which ones are any good?
Most seem to have maker’s names that I’ve never heard of, except Toshiba which was recommended to me at COTF, but which I can’t seem to find available now.
I’d rather pay a little more than end up staring at a fuzzy, pixelated screen,after all it’s going in a Cali!

SusiBus said:
:help Advice sort.
Which ones are any good?
Most seem to have maker’s names that I’ve never heard of, except Toshiba which was recommended to me at COTF, but which I can’t seem to find available now.
I’d rather pay a little more than end up staring at a fuzzy, pixelated screen,after all it’s going in a Cali!
If you want a decent one I'd suggest an Avtex.
Ours is an old model it's a 16" with DVD built in, I think the new ones are led.
Excellent picture and they have an easy auto tune system which is handy when you're setting it up in different reception areas.
Also the after sales support is brilliant I've had a couple of problems which were dealt with swiftly (though I had to pay a collection/delivery charge last time).
3 year warranty if you register it online as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The Kenwood systems have a DVD player integrated bit you need an extra bit for TV.

We've got a Nextbase from Halfords (DVD) which helped us survive an 11 hour trip back from Scotland with two little ones; works well and unlike the dash mounted one, can be used on the move. Much better sound on the dash one through the stereo speakers.

I really wanted a 10" Avtex, so contacted a number of resellers, and eventually found one that had an ex-demo that he provided with a year's warranty at a good price.

This guy (at Homestead Caravans) also confirmed that the Avtex customer service was 'second to none' in his opinion.

Our little device has a specific carry case, records to USB stick and can also pause live TV - it has a DVD, powers the Avtex aerial, tunes itself in and can also output sound to an FM frequency so you can have sound through the van stereo (watch the battery, of course) - sadly they don't make the 10" model anymore, but all their current TVs have these features and more - including built-in freeview satellite if you want (just need a dish).

Runs off mains or 12v and we also have an Avtex bracket that clips to the headrest, or it sits on the side on its little flip-out stand!

Recommended, but not cheap, a bit like a Cali :D

Ian

I think the very best option is an iPad with eyetv added and Vogel headrest bracket - it's simply brilliant - live tv without wifi connection, hours of battery, small enough to store in safe box, can charge in van if electric hookup, picture amazing, download DVDs etc - the other options are no comparison.

For us the space saving and simplicity is brilliant

View all options on apple store before you decide otherwise

I have an AVTEX 10" LED. I think it's fantastic. Easy to use and is built to stay in the van in all weathers. :upsidedown

Hi Aldi are selling a camping TV it's 24" for £130.00. I think that's a bit large for the Cali but would work in the awning. Has anyone ever heard of the make and any oppinion welcome.

This Bauhn 24" HD TV/DVD with Freeview will be the perfect addition to any room in your home. With built in HD Freeview you'll be able to continue watching your shows while relaxing. Meanwhile, the DVD player means you can watch a few of your favourite films too. Small and compact this TV/DVD combo would also make a great addition to a kitchen, caravan or child's bedroom.

Accessories Included
12V DC Car Adaptor and remote control with batteries
Features
  • Integrated DVD player
  • Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080 Full high definition
  • Response time: 16ms
  • Brightness: 180 cd/m2 (+/-10%)
  • Impedance 4Ω
  • Frequency response 100Hz~15KHz ++/- 3dB
  • Electronic program guide
  • PVR Function - Record, pause, playback
  • Built-in speakers (output: 2 x 3w)
  • Comes with 12v DC car adaptor
  • Sleep timer
  • Parental lock function
  • USB Port for easy playback of video, picture and music files from external sources
  • Freeview function
Ports

• 1 x RF (Antenna)
  • 1 x HDMI
  • 1 x CVBS (Mini)
  • 1 x YPBPR (Mini)
  • 1 x USB
  • 1 x VGA
  • 1 x PC Audio
  • 1 x RJ45
  • 1 x SCART
  • 1 x CI
  • 1 x Earphone Out
  • 1 x Optical Out
Guarantee/Warranty
3 years
Ideal For
Rooms with limited space such as the kitchen, a child's bedroom or even a caravan!
  • Batteries Included: Yes (remote control)
  • Brand: Bauhn
  • Colour: Black
  • Dimensions: 557 x 165 x 365mm (with stand), 557 x 86 x 333mm (without stand)
  • Freeview: Yes
  • Product Type: TVs
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080 Full HD
  • Screen Size: 23.8"
  • Wattage: 2 x 3w (speakers)

Yeah sorry about that, it's a multi personality thing lol

£130.00 with a three year warranty.

We don't use TV in the van often but carry a Hauppauge PCTV NanoStick which plugs into a USB port on the laptop. It works in most locations of the UK and will receive local stations in Europe. It does work with the latest versions of MS Windows as well as older ones.
The main benefit to us as we don't need it often is the minimum extra space needed to carry it.
It may be that these are becoming more difficult to obtain but can still be found with a Google search.

Rod

On my last trip I used our 10" screen very lightweight Chromebook and free "TVPlayer" website (one of many we also have Virgin TV GO which can be used abroad with a VPN so we can watch premium channels too.) and the picture was perfect with Zero lag and crystal clear with great loud clear sound. The Chromebook is light and thin and slips easily into seat pockets. The fact its a laptop style means you can use on a table or folded with keyboard side inside the front seat pockets. Signal by WIFI or via your phone if you have 4G. (I have unlimited 4G). Then of course you also have a laptop in the van for all the other uses.

PS: I have been back a week and just opened the chromebook in the house and the live TV started immediately! (I simply shut the lid before going to sleep in van)

PPS: And being Google it always works first time...

20180219_105520bbb.jpg

Last edited:
I'm only really looking at having a TV for my 6 year old son. From morning to night hrs in the pool on holiday, but when it's bedtime he loves to cuddle up in front of the telly before bed.

I'm only really looking at having a TV for my 6 year old son. From morning to night hrs in the pool on holiday, but when it's bedtime he loves to cuddle up in front of the telly before bed.
We travel with an ipad, can be held or mounted to the back of a headrest. iplayer etc for tv or store your childs favourite films on the ipad and use a videoplayer app.

Back