Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

140 or 180 dsg

V

Volky

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, very excited as husband and I have finally decided to buy a Cali. We have found a 140dsg we really like, but wonder if it will be powerful enough to get us fully laden (2 kids + bikes and all the other stuff, we won't be light!) up mountain passes abroad. Should we pay the extra for a 180. Dsg is a must for easy cruising. Thanks!

I have never driven a 140 dsg but I am sure it will be just fine. This issue has been touched on before and I seem to remember that those with the 140dsg report that they haven't experienced any problems at all and that they have plenty of power. It might be worth typing the title of your post into the search box and see what it throws up.
We would have gone for one of these but we occasionally need to tow a heavy trailer so went for a 180 dsg 4motion instead. It seems to me that the only issue with this model is that you have to watch the overall gross vehicle weight once you have piled in all your clobber, yourselves and passengers. I haven't looked up the figures but I would imagine that the payload on a 140dsg is more generous. However I stand to be corrected.

If you do decide to go ahead I am sure that you won't regret your choice. They are brilliant vehicles.

Good luck and happy motoring.

P.S I have just looked up the figures and the 140dsg has a payload of 508kgs, 62 kgs more than the 180dsg 4motion and 20 kgs more than the 180dsg. The 180 dsg has a payload of 488 kgs.

Last edited:
Thanks Borris, really helpful, and thank you for looking the figs up for us. Don't have any background in engines so I'm wondering why a smaller engine has a higher payload - but not complaining!
We've read most of the posts on the 140/180 discussions - these seem to concentrate on speed and acceleration, which we're not that concerned about with the kids and bikes on the back. We just don't want to find ourselves crawling up steep inclines!

I assume that the reason that the 140 dsg has a greater payload is that it is lighter. It doesn't have the extra weight of the 180bits and the 4motion gubbins etc.
I am sure that you won't be crawling up hills.
Best wishes
Paul

We have the 140 manual and it is plenty powerful enough. It does slow down on hills but it is nearly 3 tonnes so expected really. It does not take much to use up the payload especially when you are carrying more people. Go for a test drive in both. I was impressed with the 180 but overall (cost, economy, payload) I went 140.

As i driven 30.000 km in my 2012 140bhp DSG always fully loaded ( watertank,...)for two persons and a dog i find it no problem .
Been uphill and down the Mont-Ventoux few times , cruised thru France a lot , three weeks 5000km trip thru Norway this year,...
140 is more than enough for me " normal" driving ...
It is a lesure verhicle not a sportscar.
When we start talking towing boats, car-trailers,,....thats an other thing.

Sounds like you've had some great trips! Thanks for your feedback.

We hired a 140 DSG conversion last summer and went cycling in the Alps. That's three people and two bikes. No problem getting up anything, including Col du Glandon and Alpe D'Huez and Col du Telegraph. Admittedly that's not as steep as some climbs, such as in the Pyrenees, but I really wouldn't worry.

I've now bought a new 140 DSG California, which might be slightly heavier since it's got a bigger water tank (though you don't have to fill it, or even have anything in it). The 140 is a simpler engine and cheaper to service.

I didn't even use Sport mode then but I've since seen lots of people recommend that for hills. The DSG is actually very good at dropping down through the gears when needed.

All in all the 140 is definitely sufficient as long distance tourer/cruiser. But it's no sports car.

One point worth mentioning: the 180 does have bigger brake disks I believe, that's why it comes with 17" wheels. After descending the Alpe D'Huez the 140 did have a lot of 'hot brake' smell. Perhaps the larger brakes would have helped. The Sports mode would have too as it gives more engine braking. If you are doing a lot in the mountains I'd be more concerned about overheating brakes on the way down than lacking power on the way up. We just stopped from time to time to admire the view instead.

That's very interesting, we had wondered about the braking. In reality we're not going to be heading up every steep mountain pass we can find, but the weight of the van will only increase as the kids grow and the kit increases - again Andy's remarks on payload v helpful. We are after as stress-free an experience as possible with the Cali (to balance the stress of the kids) so maybe we should look again at the 180.

That's very interesting, we had wondered about the braking. In reality we're not going to be heading up every steep mountain pass we can find, but the weight of the van will only increase as the kids grow and the kit increases - again Andy's remarks on payload v helpful. We are after as stress-free an experience as possible with the Cali (to balance the stress of the kids) so maybe we should look again at the 180.
If you decide to go for a 180 dsg and you find that the payload is a little tight then I believe that you can have the rear springs uprated. I am not sure how it works but may look into this myself. Our 180 dsg 4motion weighs in at 2.9 tonnes without water but with my wife and me,Ă® all our stuff and a full tank of fuel!!! As things stand, if we decide to take anyone with us we may have tio throw some of our stuff over board.
As for the brakes, they are very effective on the 180. If you step on them a little too sharply it stands on its nose and you can hear the plates and cutlery gathering speed behind you!

Last edited:
We are after as stress-free an experience as possible with the Cali so maybe we should look again at the 180
I have a 180. I don't race it like a sports car but find it reassuring that it has bags of reserve for rapid acceleration when needed. We've also done lots of mountain passes and it takes the steepest hairpin bends with ease, even when heavily loaded. The driving experience is a pleasure and very stress-free.

I drove a 140 on loan from a dealer while our Cali was being serviced and, while it was a perfectly OK vehicle, I was aware of the drop in power.

So, personal view only of course, but I'd certainly choose a 180 in preference to a 140.

Think we'd be sensible to arrange a 180 test drive ... too much money to pay out for the wrong engine. Thanks for these really useful posts.

If you decide to go for a 180 dsg and you find that the payload is a little tight then I believe that you can have the rear springs uprated. I am not sure how it works but may look into this myself. Our 180 dsg 4motion weighs in at 2.9 tonnes without water but with my wife and me,Ă® all our stuff and a full tank of fuel!!! As things stand, if we decide to take anyone with us we may have tio throw some of our stuff over board.
As for the brakes, they are very effective on the 180. If you step on them a little too sharply it stands on its nose and you can hear the plates and cutlery gathering speed behind you!

The brakes are certainly very responsive. Not having driven an automatic very much before I did the Newbie thing with my left foot.
Our suitcases and other baggage that I'd left safely in the back then joined us in the front. Luckily the driver behind had quick reflexes.

We hired a 140 DSG conversion last summer and went cycling in the Alps. That's three people and two bikes. No problem getting up anything, including Col du Glandon and Alpe D'Huez and Col du Telegraph. Admittedly that's not as steep as some climbs, such as in the Pyrenees, but I really wouldn't worry.

I've now bought a new 140 DSG California, which might be slightly heavier since it's got a bigger water tank (though you don't have to fill it, or even have anything in it). The 140 is a simpler engine and cheaper to service.

I didn't even use Sport mode then but I've since seen lots of people recommend that for hills. The DSG is actually very good at dropping down through the gears when needed.

All in all the 140 is definitely sufficient as long distance tourer/cruiser. But it's no sports car.

One point worth mentioning: the 180 does have bigger brake disks I believe, that's why it comes with 17" wheels. After descending the Alpe D'Huez the 140 did have a lot of 'hot brake' smell. Perhaps the larger brakes would have helped. The Sports mode would have too as it gives more engine braking. If you are doing a lot in the mountains I'd be more concerned about overheating brakes on the way down than lacking power on the way up. We just stopped from time to time to admire the view instead.

Decending with DSG in SPORT helps cooling the breaks as the engine is used as a retarder....did you?

I have a 180. I don't race it like a sports car ..............
Unfortunately I do! For me had to be the 180. But then I use it everyday and have clocked up 20,000 miles in 11 months..
The 140 will cope. The 180 will just do it in its stride, no matter what.

Always the same , those who have 180horses like it and not want 140horses , if you drove a 180 for many miles/km offcores you feel the diffrence!
But if you never drove a Cali and tryed the 140 it feels good overall.

I would say it is all up to the one paying the bills , and personal reference.
Up till a few 10-15 years ago no one ever needed that much horses on a lesure verhicle ,motorhome , Cali ,...
Now on the T6 you can have +200 horses and bet they will tune it soon ....not my pice of pie...

I've had both, and found the 140 adequate. However, if you need to do that overtake the 180 has slightly more safety margin. And it's only human nature to want the next model up (or is it just me ...?).

Realistically, 140 is a lot anyway for this type of vehicle; many conversions only have the 102bhp engine. I think there is an 84bhp too (?).

That's the great thing about engine choice! Tried a 102bhp conversion last year - conversion was great but driving experience wasn't. So the 140 was a real step up, not to mention the dsg.

Always a point of discussion (don't necessarily buy the 'acceleration for overtaking argument....if it's not safe don't do it...)...anyway...we have a 140, very capable, towed boats up/down hills, carried bikes, people the lot really and no problems......personal choice as ever....'the 140 will cope' as ever is the normal point trotted out....it does more than cope ;)

Its very similar to people who buy a Porsche Boxster, they really want a 911 but would never admit it
Well...my initial response to this was going to be something like 'nonsense' in respect of this debate....but then remembered that a more considered view may be better.....or perhaps not ;)

Always a point of discussion (don't necessarily buy the 'acceleration for overtaking argument....if it's not safe don't do it...)...

The less time spent in the overtaking lane the better, and on the Autobahn even more so. Just my opinion.:thumb

Like buying an 8gb iPhone but you should really of gone for the 64gb one

Its very similar to people who buy a Porsche Boxster, they really want a 911 but would never admit it
Bet you had a Ford Capri too.