Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

130 Manual to 140 DSG - worth doing?

CaliGreg

CaliGreg

Hi all.

I think I'm trying to justify this to myself......but any feedback from 'facelift' Cali owners please.

We have a 2008 2.5 130 SE which we've had for coming up to 3 years and done some great trips to France / Switzerland / Italy (and in the UK of course).

Anyway, we are looking to move to a new or newly new 140 DSG (or maybe a 180 DSG). Anyone gone from an earlier 2.5 Cali to a 'facelift' 2.0 DSG? Worth doing? Any tips on specs?

Thanks

Hi Greg

Not specifically related to Cali's but you will find the later engine a lot more refined, quieter and better on fuel, and just less 'commercial'. And if you are after going for an auto, the 7 speed DSG is the best gearbox out there, very smooth, and learns your style of driving.

I would say go for the 180 over the 140, a lot more flexible to drive, due to the bi-turbo setup, and we have actually found in our experience, that its better on fuel as you dont need to push it as hard in the Cali, to get the same performance. Personally I think the 180 DSG is the best setup for the VW California.

HTH :thumb

Like Oli says.. not quite a Cali but I did quite a few miles in a 174 Caravelle and found the 180 much better to drive and a lot better on fuel.

Just backing up the engine refinement thing - i've got a facelift 140 transporter and can confirm that the engine is much quieter than our cali. Would also go for the DSG as an auto is well suited to the cali for that relaxed going on holiday vibe!

Thanks guys, deposit paid on a dealer pre-registered Dsg.

The dealer I bought my 2008 Cali from has just bought it back and I'm very pleased with how little I've lost in almost 3 years.

Hopefully collect new one next week!

What was the depreciation in 3yrs if to using mind me asking? Of course it does depend on the discount you got on the new van

Beardie

It wasn't a new van when we got it - it was a 2008 van that be bought in 2010....
Between 2010 and 2013, I've taken just short of a £3k hit. Happy with that, when you consider that we have had some fantastic family holidays in the UK, France, Switzerland and Italy contained within that deprecation.

I ended up getting a 2012 140 DSG, black awning, privacy, parking sensors, cruise, safe box and a few other bits and bobs.

Collecting this week I hope.....after the forecasted snow.......

Well, collected the new van today. Yep, what a difference in refinement. The auto box also is so smooth.

Very very impressed and happy.

If you could only 'can' that new car smell.......

Back