Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Bluemotion BiTDI 180 California SE + 4Motion

Cali-61-180-SE

Cali-61-180-SE

Hi I am new on this Forum. I am about to book my new California SE 180 (4Motion + Bluemotion) but confuse on Manual or DSG :-( but before that i just want to know any one member of this forum owned recently introduced Blue-motion version fo Cali? if yes, Please let me know what is the major difference its has apart from BMotion technology? like Any look and feel or designs changed? if possible post some pictures please.
Thanks In Advance!!
Jeetu

Is there such a thing as 4 Motion + Bluemotion ?

In France, Bluemotion is only (was?) available on small engine (102 hp, maybe on 114hp) and not on the classic 140/180hp. 4 Motion was only available for 140 and 180 horsepower engines...

What I know is a guy bought a 114 hp with bluemotion at the same time as I bought my 180 (i.e. 3 month ago) and he already has issues with the start/stop thing. Apparently, I've read that the start/stop is mainly a way for VW to gain a few on the carbon emissions but in the long run it's not so great for the engine...

I think (but not certain) that they all get be Bluemotion badge now?! But not sure

You need to try both gearboxes. Many prefer DSG but some (like me!) prefer the manual box. Both are decent.

I have a 180 DSG 4-motion on order (not long now!) and it comes with BlueMotion as standard. I have it on a Mk 6 Golf TDI manual and it's very good - not too sure how it will work on a DSG though.

As I understand it all new Californias in the UK at least are BlueMotion now. You could well be right about the CO2 credits and of course it has an OFF button if it's not to your taste.

FF

frigorifix said:
Is there such a thing as 4 Motion + Bluemotion ?

In France, Bluemotion is only (was?) available on small engine (102 hp, maybe on 114hp) and not on the classic 140/180hp. 4 Motion was only available for 140 and 180 horsepower engines...

What I know is a guy bought a 114 hp with bluemotion at the same time as I bought my 180 (i.e. 3 month ago) and he already has issues with the start/stop thing. Apparently, I've read that the start/stop is mainly a way for VW to gain a few on the carbon emissions but in the long run it's not so great for the engine...

There are Bluemotion features aside from the start stop - Regenerative brakes for example. The UK is different to the rest of Europe but I imagine certain features of bluemotion will become the norm on cars.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... chnologies

I am not convinced Start Stop has much effect in real world driving but in a year of driving, I've had no issues yet.

James

My 2012 140bhp is bluemotion.
However, it has no stop/start and not sure in what way its bluemotion but was told this is how all Calis from Sept 2012 will be classed

UK is different from France... mine was delivered in March 2013, 180bhp and bluemotion did not exist on this engine (nor did it exist on the 140).
So if you don't have the start/stop, what does the bluemotion consist of ?

I had a quick look in the 2013 VW configurator and indeed they offer this bluemotion option for all engines now. It seems to be :
- Start/stop technology (pretty useless unless you drive a lot in urban area, not exactely the purpose of the Cali)
- Cruse control (was already on all Cali from the 140bhp)
- some special tyres
- regenarative brakes : the only thing that seem interesting...

In France it's not available for the 180bhp (read it in the official brochure)

Thanks for considering my query. Yesterday i went to vw dealer and they sad blue motion is standard now for both 140 and 180 California in UK. but their is no any other difference. the look and feel exactly same. i am going to factory order California SE + DSG + 4Motion with Diff Lock. current waiting is around 16-20 week :sad but their is no option to get quickly.

Thanks
JK

Just picking up on JK's comment on 16-20 week delivery (which normally would be in a separate discussion I guess) I ordered my 180 BMT on 3rd April, and it's being manufactured this week. Add 3 to 4 weeks for delivery to me, and 10 weeks elapsed exceeds all expectations. So you may be pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to disable the Stop/Start component and welcome the rest of the package.

frigorifix said:
I had a quick look in the 2013 VW configurator and indeed they offer this bluemotion option for all engines now. It seems to be :
- Start/stop technology (pretty useless unless you drive a lot in urban area, not exactely the purpose of the Cali)
- Cruse control (was already on all Cali from the 140bhp)
- some special tyres
- regenarative brakes : the only thing that seem interesting...
I was expecting some interesting tyres. But Dunlop doesn't seem to mention low rolling resistance in their description of the SP Maxx TT tyres which came on my new bluemotion cali - so maybe not so special in that regard.

And on the regenerative brakes thing, I don't think it's the brakes that do the regeneration. I believe energy is produced electrically when braking (using the alternator perhaps?) and this energy is stored in the battery. A pretty maginal gain if you ask me, given that you can't access this energy to drive the vehicle, you just gain from not having to generate it using engine power.

The regenerative breaking of Bluemotion is via the alternator. Effectively the alternator is turned on an made to charge the battery which effectively places a breaking effect on the engine slowing the van down. I don't believe the brakes are any different.

The only benefit is to provide the energy for the more frequent starts needed for the start/stop feature.

For other vw vehicles with blue motion the battery is larger and is higher spec and costs quite a bit more. I also expect the alternator is a higher spec and more expensive. So if you don't use the start stop and get some fuel saving blue motion is lose lose come alternator and battery replacement time.

Back