Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

140 v 180

H

heroutdoors

I have been looking at the various posts and threads - and can see the debate about automatic v manual. Got to say that I will always prefer manual but the big question is does anyone drive a 180 manual - and if so how does it compare with the 140?

4wd is an option with the 180 - is it just for muddy campsites?

thoughts on this would be very welcome. We are looking at a 140 manual which has pretty much everything we want on it - but want to see what others think of the 140 engine.....

about to do some test drives - but that will only tell us so much as it will be flat and on a road.

thanks

I hired a Cali last year and went to eskdale/Ravenglass, very hilly and so on (hardnott pass and rhino pass I think), plenty of 'needing to nip past slow moving vehicles on single lane roads etc and it was effortless, I wasn't sure if it was the 140 or the 180 until I got back and asked when returning it. It was the 140 and instantly confirmed for me that I didn't care which one I ended up getting.

I'm sure there would be scenarios where 4wd could be nice to have but for the average camper vanner I'm not convinced it would be necessary.

Just my opinion, and I ended up buying a 180 as 'the vehicle' was the right one for me, but if the right one had come along as a 140 I would not have given the engine power a second thought

thanks for that - if it had the nip to overtake and do the hills that is pretty important. Its not always the biggest engine that is the best package overall - more fuel, more to insure and the like. :thanks

Hello

I'd like to add that I think the 140 is great - nippy enough for me and it's just replaced my sporty car. I bet the 180 is even better of course :)

Try and test drive both maybe?

My 180 Berghaus is a manual ...very happy with it's performance and not needing more than 2wd at the moment...if the site is that bad then i'll not be camping there .... :lol:

180 drives a bit differently as it has two turbos (rather than one) to "smooth out" that low rev flat spot that diesels have; makes it a bit easier to drive.

4Motion was an essential one for us - I just don't like FWD vehicles, especially torquey ones. The AWD is very good in wet conditions on tarmac as well as light "off roading" - it's not far off impossible to spin the wheels on the road. Also surprisingly capable in mud/grass. IMO it's actually a great VFM option. Makes your Cali and SUV without looking like a RR/X5/Q7 driving goon :mrgreen:

I don't like DSG but many do - personal choice.

Well if you want to know about 4motion benefits, then I can share that on Saturday I recon in pretty well saved me and my lady from getting stuck in 5ft drifts of snow. On route back home from Buxton, following snow plough... The plough got stuck as the drifts ahead were over 6 ft deep, and too deep to plough. it was billowing wild winds with snow drifting across the hills in a complete whiteout, the snow drifts were shifting all over the place and in 10mins of talking to the plough driver, we were seriously concerned the drifts would engulf us all. The plough managed to make us a turning space and after I engaged the diff lock we climbed back up the hill over deep snow, the 4motion (with conti contact 4x4 M+S tyres) got us out without a problem. There is no way a 2wd car or van would have got us out of that situation. Living here in the Peak District, 4wd is essential.
And yes it's a 180 manual. I like manual.

slowcoach65 said:
Automatic :clap

Yes! DSG every time, you are paying all this money you want some luxury when driving, I have better things to do than change gears. I love manual in my M5 but the Cali is so suited to DSG especially for the long trips.

not this manual and auto thing again ......... this is not the t4&5 forum guys . :lol: :crazy ......We have a manual vs dsg thread running guys for the ring fight .. :bananadance

lets not scare off any new members :shocked

thanks again for all the further information. I can imagine the impact of the two turbos for smoothing things out - but not sure its worth the extra fuel, cost etc. I think probably that winter tyres and snow chains stored would be good back up - just as you would with any car. The 0-60 mph times are about 3 secs diff between the 140 and the 180 - which is not that large I suppose (in the real world) and we won't be flooring it loaded up with gear and the two dogs in the back. We have been offered a very good deal on a 140 as they want to get it through for month end - and it sounds like these vehicles keep their value well. I've always tended to want to go for the big engine - but I'm trying to be sensible about what we actually need/would get the benefit of. No one has said the 140 is underpowered - which is the main thing

I'm glad no one got too diverted into the manual v auto thing - thanks - that is a different issue and I know where I am on that one.

thanks again

I had a similar dilemma, but ended up with a 140 (again since a deal was there to be done). No regrets, it drives great and cruises happily on the motorway.

Go for it, if you've seen one you like.

thanks - what's not to like I think. Its got the necessary stuff for a great weekend away - most weekends. I'm not (yet?) that lost in the extras and kit. We have lots of camping gear already. Not really that bothered about cruise control (never used it on our existing car) and all those bits - just as long as we can get everyone in and cosy and go off and do stuff. Waterproof seat covers possibly the most important extra for dirty wet people and dogs :D

I have just taken delivery of a set of inka seat covers, not fitted them yet but the quality of the product looks to be superb.

(VIP forum members can get some discount too, which is always nice :) )

I've got the waterproof cover for the rear mattress coming once they are back in stock too which should be sometime soon.

There's plenty of great advice on accessories here, just be careful, many think buying a Cali is the end of it, I am coming to realise it can be just the beginning!

Dibz said:
I have just taken delivery of a set of inka seat covers, not fitted them yet but the quality of the product looks to be superb.

(VIP forum members can get some discount too, which is always nice :) )

I've got the waterproof cover for the rear mattress coming once they are back in stock too which should be sometime soon.

There's plenty of great advice on accessories here, just be careful, many think buying a Cali is the end of it, I am coming to realise it can be just the beginning!

It's never the end of it .... Lol
If u don't spend it we will spend it for you ...pmsl :)

we are getting waterproof seat covers thrown in as one of the items added in to encourage us to buy before the end of the month - hoping that will be for the back seat too but will need to check on how those seat covers differ from the waterproof mattress cover. I don't doubt that its easy to lose yourself in all the extra stuff that is available - yep I'm deliberately ignoring it for now. A friend who is already a Cali owner was telling me last night about the perfect little pan set from Lakeland that is ideal for cooking ....its a slippery slope ...

Yes Lee, you will!! :D Did I mention the set of tailored carpets that should turn up today too (VIP discount)... :rolleyes

Dibz said:
Yes Lee, you will!! :D Did I mention the set of tailored carpets that should turn up today too (VIP discount)... :rolleyes

:laugh2 ......that slope will only get more slippery as you use the cali :bananadance

i could give you a must need list to help you spend more if you like ;)

Too late to worry about this debate.

New 180 4-motion arrives tomorrow - can't wait!

Hi

Picked up our new 180 4-motion yesterday - and wouldn't have got it home through the snow without the 4wd :eek: . Don't you just love this weather :lol:

Not sure how often we will need the 4wd, but we would have been camping 5 miles from home without it yesterday.

Sorry MisterTea, didn't see your post "Has it arrived? Is it fab?"

YES! :D

sounds good - still so much snow further north.

out of interest has anyone tried winter tyres on a Cali? Snow chains?

Plainly you now have the 4wd - so may never need to think about this again but I'd be interested in what anyone has done on this? If we get the Cali, then it won't be a 4wd - as we don't think there will be sufficient need overall but that would be with the back up of snow chains and winter tyres. The tyres make a massive difference on a car and allow even our rear wheel BMW to go up hills in snow and ice conditions.

her outdoors said:
sounds good - still so much snow further north.

out of interest has anyone tried winter tyres on a Cali? Snow chains?

Plainly you now have the 4wd - so may never need to think about this again but I'd be interested in what anyone has done on this? If we get the Cali, then it won't be a 4wd - as we don't think there will be sufficient need overall but that would be with the back up of snow chains and winter tyres. The tyres make a massive difference on a car and allow even our rear wheel BMW to go up hills in snow and ice conditions.

Snow chains can (should) only be used when there is a good covering of snow on the road. Otherwise they damage road & can damage tyres.
There are some folk on here who use winter tyres on steel wheels from october to march, or april this year.
They will make a similar difference on a cali as on your bmw.
Should only be used at temps below 7 degrees.