Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

140 v 180

NickE said:
Just wondering ... other than driving it or lifting the bonnet, how do you tell the 180 from the 140?

On the tailgate, 180ps has the 'di' in Tdi in red, the 140ps just has the 'i' in red.

Ah ha! I will update my I-Spy book of Californias.

180 has much bigger front discs too.

We have a180 dsg and it is fine - goes very well with little effort on the part of both driver and machine. Very useful when it the only vehicle. We average about 32 mpg, more o n long runs. Power is useful on hills, not just up but comiNg down also as the engine holds the vehicle without brakes. Great on motorways. 2ndtimeround.

180DSG with cruise, the only way.

Searched high and low for months for a used one in 2011, found one eventuallu of course :D

My 180 DSG is just coming up to 13k and the fuel consumption has improved as we've gone along. We did a slow and steady 140 mile trip on A roads at the weekend (with the van lightly loaded) and got 36 mpg!

Californiaman said:
My 180 DSG is just coming up to 13k and the fuel consumption has improved as we've gone along. We did a slow and steady 140 mile trip on A roads at the weekend (with the van lightly loaded) and got 36 mpg!

Only 13k Mark ! Mine has done 16800 in two years, is it's birthday this month !

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

High days and holidays only, Andy! I do 15,000 a year to and from work and wouldn't want to put that on the van. The bike will be taxed from June - I am quite looking forward to that.

I'm a fan of the higher output VW TDI engine. My Golf GT Sport has the 170 version with the lovely DSG box. It's great to drive, still feels as good as it did brand new, after 75,000 miles, and I love it. However I'm also very happy with my Jan 2014 Cali 140. My wife and I have been travelling in it for most of the time since early March, in France, Spain and Portugal, including a wide range of driving conditions. It's been equally at home loping along at the motorway speed limit in its long-legged 6th gear as on twisty mountain roads and tracks and there have been occasions when I was glad to have the manual gear box for manoeuvring in tight places. Even fully loaded for a long tour for two people it has never felt under-powered and, unlike some of the smaller-engined conversions we had tried before opting for the real thing, it will never be guilty of holding up the traffic. I'm sure that the 180 is a delight to drive, and the extra toys would be fun, but the camping experience will be identical and I doubt that anyone buying a 140 will be disappointed by its performance. In reality, the limiting factor is the character of the van itself - it's just not a vehicle designed to be driven like a rally car.

KernowLad said:
Anyone remapped a 180? I think I'd wait until the warranty is up but it could be interesting.

Yes, I got ours done by Pendle last week. Went up from 180 to 209bhp. Too early to say much about the fuel consumption but the turbo lag is reduced so pulling into traffic is less of a worry, and the acceleration has improved. Feels very sprightly.

Am told the earlier T5s 2003-2006 have a weaker gearbox as so remapping, although feasible, is not advised.

http://www.pendleperformance.com/

Alan

Sounds good although I've heard a few stories of the owner being rather aggressive to some customers!

I think I'll leave ours; it goes well enough (enough to upset the odd attempted tailgater!) and I'm not sure I have enough faith in the engine/emissions bashing kit to try and extract more. It's quite a challenge piloting such a big lump around at reasonable speeds; but they definitely move quite well; 4motion gives a little extra reassurance on the tighter bends.

But it's more limited to what's in the cupboards; I always wince when I hear a jar/pot/cup knock against the sides when making progress.

It's quite fun overall though!

Try 112bhp....

Personally it would be 180 for me. I would love to try a 180 Beach, that would be fun.

James

From what I have driven a 180 as a DSG or manual is pretty good ,however imho DSG is better, but as a 140 then manual is much better than a DSG

For my ten penneth worth, I've owned a Berghaus 180 manual and currently have a 140ps.

I have not really noticed a difference in power - have done months away in each on the continent and both cruise beautifully at 80mph. The 140 most certainly delivers better mpg; I'd say by at least four on average.
When I changed my van, I had taken into account all the things I decided I did not want or need and focused on sustainability and running costs. 140ps for fuel economy and the dreaded EGR valve failure ( am told on a 140 single turbo it's a 'side of the road 45 min job and a 180 means 7+ hours of labour and part of the van dismantled). 16" alloys - tyres are a quarter the price of 18". Non metallic paint as it's cheaper to have work than metallic. I did add Bluetooth which has been a boon for surround sound cinema. Oh and manual transmission, find VW auto boxes horrible and have no real need to complicate things with all wheel drive. Got it stuck in plough once, disconnected traction control and it pulled straight out.
Been very happy with my choices for what it's worth and appreciate it's just my preference to save a few bob if I decide to keep it for the long haul :D

Dave

Spuktoid said:
For my ten penneth worth, I've owned a Berghaus 180 manual and currently have a 140ps.

I have not really noticed a difference in power - have done months away in each on the continent and both cruise beautifully at 80mph. The 140 most certainly delivers better mpg; I'd say by at least four on average.
When I changed my van, I had taken into account all the things I decided I did not want or need and focused on sustainability and running costs. 140ps for fuel economy and the dreaded EGR valve failure ( am told on a 140 single turbo it's a 'side of the road 45 min job and a 180 means 7+ hours of labour and part of the van dismantled). 16" alloys - tyres are a quarter the price of 18". Non metallic paint as it's cheaper to have work than metallic. I did add Bluetooth which has been a boon for surround sound cinema. Oh and manual transmission, find VW auto boxes horrible and have no real need to complicate things with all wheel drive. Got it stuck in plough once, disconnected traction control and it pulled straight out.
Been very happy with my choices for what it's worth and appreciate it's just my preference to save a few bob if I decide to keep it for the long haul :D

Dave

That's a great post, i think there's some great points. My Beach is pretty basic and when i look now at Beach demos and they have so much more equipment, I do think, it would be nice to have those things but i am also mindful that keeping it simple may prove better in the long run.

Like your comparison, and an interesting point about DSG, i would like DSG personally, but long term, if I intended to keep the van, not so sure, always going to be costly to fix. If was able to change my van every few years, it would make sense. Like you say, there's an advantage to keeping things simple.

James

Have to agree to some extent; the 180 engine is worryingly complex but 4motion was a must and only available with the 180 at the time. TBH the Cali is so heavy it needs as much power as it can get!

We've all done the 4motion thing to death but it's surprising most think it's just to get out of a muddy site once in a blue moon; it's actually very beneficial on the road too; almost no wheelspin, virtually eliminates understeer, gives the whole van a much more sure-footed feel (despite it's lack of feet).

Anyone driven a 180 or older 174 in a bare van? They are genuinely quite nippy!

I have a 180 now, had a 2005 174 (shuttle with full conversion).....have to say the 174 was a rocket that was huge fun to drive. The 180 is too refined and very boring by comparison. The 174 averaged 43mpg when driven like a loon for 4000 miles across Europe (a/c on permanently, massive collection of board bags on roof, loaded bike rack, monkey bike on towbar, cruising speed of 80mph). If I did the same trip in the 180 I don't think I'd be in the 30s more like 25mpg.
Afraid with the T5 evolution isn't necessarily progress...

Tested both SE and Beach, 140 and 180. opted for the SE rather than a more basic Beach and the 180DSG. More creature comforts in the SE and as it's our leisure vehicle more comfort was required. As for the 180 it was within our budget and so pleased it was.

According to a few dealers I asked, when ordering my California, the DSG probably accounts for 50% plus in commercial T5's, and growing in numbers.

Hello forum!

I found a fully specced 140 SE DSG ex demo with just 600 miles on the clock at Beadles in Dartford. Coming from a pretty fast car, and having read the numerous threads in this forum, I thought i really wanted/needed the 180 so didnt think this would be "the one". However, i test drove the 140, really enjoyed the ride and negotiated 20% off the vehicle new price! I'm now the proud owner of a 140 and am loving it! Ok its not a rocket but there is plenty enough power and a lovely drive with the DSG.

So, i say it doesnt really matter - especially if you are getting a bargain!

I'm not a techie person, All I know is that I turn a key, it makes a funny noise and if I do something with the gear selector it moves, hopefully in the direction that I want it to.

I had a 140 manual on hire. Loved the van, hated moving it. Roundabouts were a nightmare, mostly I shuddered to a halt somewhere in the middle of them. I just felt the thing was fighting me all the time.

I now have a 180 DSG 4WD and it is a total delight to be moving. Loads of power, smooth effortless ride, the comfort of knowing I can get in a hole and Albert has everything it takes to get me out of it, the comfort of knowing I can be 400 miles away, can turn round and get home without feeling it's an ordeal.

I have no idea what's going on under the bonnet but I do know whats going on inside the cab and inside my head and without comparing to anything else I find driving Albert around to be a joy that leaves me with a big smile on my face.

OK, I might lose 4miles to the gallon, if that is the sum, but if I did have to turn around and make that 400 mile journey then the extra fiver or so in fuel cost is a fiver I would happily hand over.

Not sure if I'd call driving a Cali "a joy" but it all works well and with the windows shut, the nasty engine noise is all but muted.
It's certainly very comfortable though - 650 miles in one day was fine and that was with two young kids (and a dog).
Despite the weight, they certainly can be hustled along at a reasonable rate too - I've shocked a few vans and cars up hills and on flat roads; I don't think you can get a "faster" camper?
4Motion is also better on wet roads - near monsoon conditions in Mull would have been even hairier with FWD.

However a mate (who doesn't look after his van too well) had a replacement 180 engine in his Transporter six months after buying it. I think it would have been £8k out of warranty…

But the main thing about the 180 isn't going faster, it's smoothing that nasty gap in power before the "main" (or only in the 140's case) turbo kicks in. Diesels at low revs with a single turbo feel like slugs. Then there's a rush of power and torque, then it's all over by 4k rpm.