Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off to test drive a 204 DSG

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

Well this morning marks another step in our buying process/research.

I'm off to Coventry to test drive a 204 DSG. Not sure exactly what yet, 'velle, kombi, etc but I suspect it won't be a California.

The 204 DSG is what we think we will want, but having only ever had a quick spin out in a 150 manual beach before, I feel a bit limited in experience. I am also going to see if they have a 150 DSG there I can drive too, so do they back-to-back, and see what it feels like.

I do have a few niggles in my mind about the 204 - MPG and long term service-ability, over the 150.

But is the 150 going to be enough!? I certainly do NOT want to be one of those people holding up traffic anywhere.

Decisions decisions..

I'm also going to see if I can have a play with apple CarPlay while I'm there

But is the 150 going to be enough!? I certainly do NOT want to be one of those people holding up traffic anywhere.

We hold up all the traffic pottering along in our 150 - go for 204 if that is want but do not buy it because you think the 150 is under powered. enjoy your test drive,

There were some 150 DSG Californias in Coventry (Lister) a couple of weeks ago. It's plenty of power unless you want to drive like a F1 driver. Most of the Californias they have there are 150s now.

Ok, i'm back from my test drive!

They didn't have a 150 DSG that I could try and I wasn't going to push them in to letting me drive one of the brand new ones they've got there (they had plenty! 2x grey/black two tone and quite a few more).

I did drive a 204 DSG Kombi and it was okay. Certainly not rapid by any standard but acceptable. It had a reasonable amount of poke between 50 and 70 and held motorway speeds nicely.

I was actually much more impressed with the DSG box. Wow, the programming really has come along hasn't it! It felt super smooth and suited the van very nicely. I had a Mk5 Golf GTI with DSG and it was terrible. Hesitant, jerky etc. Not nice. Same on an S3 I had too. This felt WAY better.

Hmmmmm... I need to have a go in the 150 DSG I think. It may well be the peach of the range, just like everyone keeps saying.

Another thing I did notice too was the body roll around roundabouts. I think I'll be ordering the heavy duty anti roll bars for sure.

I do think the better mpg and more simple tech may win out here too.

Study the acceleration numbers for the 150 vs the 204 and you might not even have to test the 150.
If you sometimes overtake other vehicles on narrow roads etc you need all the power you can get. Our Cali is a daily driver so it needs to be as agile as a normal car, ie not underpowered.

They didn't have a 150 DSG that I could try and I wasn't going to push them in to letting me drive one of the brand new ones they've got there (they had plenty! 2x grey/black two tone and quite a few more).

I did drive a 204 DSG Kombi and it was okay. Certainly not rapid by any standard but acceptable. It had a reasonable amount of poke between 50 and 70 and held motorway speeds nicely.

I was actually much more impressed with the DSG box. Wow, the programming really has come along hasn't it! It felt super smooth and suited the van very nicely. I had a Mk5 Golf GTI with DSG and it was terrible. Hesitant, jerky etc. Not nice. Same on an S3 I had too. This felt WAY better.

Hmmmmm... I need to have a go in the 150 DSG I think. It may well be the peach of the range, just like everyone keeps saying.

Another thing I did notice too was the body roll around roundabouts. I think I'll be ordering the heavy duty anti roll bars for sure.

The Kombi is substantially lighter than a loaded Ocean.

I should have said really what our plans for the Cali are.

It will be a fourth vehicle in our house, with just the wife and me.

Holidays and long journeys only, including the odd days out, weekends away etc. It won't be a daily driver or commuting car in any way for us.

I'm coming round to the idea that a more lazy approach to things (i.e. 150 DSG) would be preferable to a 204 that might tempt me to drive it like I drive my M140i daily driver (or my wife who has an Audi S1!).

We just need to get our heads right in to holiday mode as soon as we shut the door on the Cali to go. I need to tell myself that Just because it's a vehicle it doesn't have to be driven flat out everywhere!!

It sounds to me like your heart is with the 204, and that servicing and MPG aren't massive concerns for you. But as I have mentioned to you the 150 DSG is very nice I have compared this to a 140 manual of which there are many about so very capable in its own right.
All I can say is, the difference in driving sensation was a lot and most of it was probably due to the DSG aspect.
I wonder what the 102 manual conversions feel like :mute

I should have said really what our plans for the Cali are.

It will be a fourth vehicle in our house, with just the wife and me.

Holidays and long journeys only, including the odd days out, weekends away etc. It won't be a daily driver or commuting car in any way for us.

I'm coming round to the idea that a more lazy approach to things (i.e. 150 DSG) would be preferable to a 204 that might tempt me to drive it like I drive my M140i daily driver (or my wife who has an Audi S1!).

We just need to get our heads right in to holiday mode as soon as we shut the door on the Cali to go. I need to tell myself that Just because it's a vehicle it doesn't have to be driven flat out everywhere!!

Another cali sitting on the drive for 8-10 months of the year, remember this is a commercial vehicle, A VAN, that needs to be used !!!!!!!!

I agree with you about the roll on roundabouts and, since I have very carsick prone kids, I was concerned about both that and the wallowing feel when cruising along. So that's why we've gone for the HD anti roll bars and are probably going to put the stiffer springs in too. When I was ordering today (so exciting! :)) I got a chance to try a Kombi with HDARB and lowering springs and also lower profile bigger wheels (18") to see if I'd find it too solid. Actually it was great and massively improved the roll etc. (Obviously the lighter weight and different wheels need to be accounted for too) So I'm almost certainly going to go for the springs as well as the roll bars. Might well be appealing to you too...

I miss read the title and thought you were doing an off road test drive. Lol.

I am surprised to hear you say that the 204 DSG "was not Rapid by any standard" but then if you are comparing it with a Golf GTI I can see your point. I have a 204 DSG Ocean and have been impressed with both the power and the fuel consumption. I also have a Golf GTD (140) and a caddy 1600D . and the ocean stands well though obviously does not have the poke of the Golf but there is plenty there for overtaking. As for fuel consumption it compares favourably with the Caddy but you do notice the consumption clime on the Devon hills and lanes but om my recent 3 weeks in France it was impressive (no motorways).
When the Ocean went back under guarantee a couple of months ago they let me have a manual Beach 150, I certainly know which I prefer and it had nothing to do with the Beach being bright yellow.
Incidentally I do try and not hold other people up and if I want to "just poodle along" I make sure I don't hold other people up and pull over after all that's good manners. In my opinion there are too many drivers out there who drive with no consideration of other drivers and what they are trying to achieve!

We've certainly not ruled out the 204, just a tricky decision to make as we don't want to regret not getting it for the extra power, but would I always resent how much fuel it drinks compared to the 150!?

We are planning on doing a proper back-to-back test, mid week sometime so it's not rushed, so we can properly decide.

I would only ever buy as 150 now, with the added costs on repairs and higher fuel consumption I really do not see the point (it is a campervan at the end of the day)

I guarantee you whether you have a 150 or a 204 you will arrive at the destination at the same time and if driving the 150 you will have extra £££'s in your pocket when you arrive.

I was given / loaned a 204 DSG 4motion Combi for two months when my 150 manual Beach was off the road - my observations are - i didnt drive them any differently but the average MPG was 29 vs 38 which is quite a consideration - for me, the 150 is just about right for a campervan - i very rarely ever find myself changing down on motorways - unless on those amazing mountain motorways in France.

i didnt like slow manoeuvres / parking in the DSG - there is a slight unpredictable take up that makes it a bit tedious - also there is a hesitancy when pulling away which is a bit disconcerting. I am happy to have my manual Beach back.

I wasnt brave enough to test the 4motion (as a loan vehicle straight out of the showroom) but if it was available on the 150 Beach i would have ticked it - i love bumping along sandy forest tracks hunting out secret beaches - i just grit my teeth with 2wd.

Less is more when you buy a California - dont waste your money on the fancy stuff - stick to manual everything roof / doors / gears / heating - you will enjoy the adventure more, and there will be less stuff to go wrong.

IMHO

I was given / loaned a 204 DSG 4motion Combi for two months when my 150 manual Beach was off the road - my observations are - i didnt drive them any differently but the average MPG was 29 vs 38 which is quite a consideration - for me, the 150 is just about right for a campervan - i very rarely ever find myself changing down on motorways - unless on those amazing mountain motorways in France.

i didnt like slow manoeuvres / parking in the DSG - there is a slight unpredictable take up that makes it a bit tedious - also there is a hesitancy when pulling away which is a bit disconcerting. I am happy to have my manual Beach back.

I wasnt brave enough to test the 4motion (as a loan vehicle straight out of the showroom) but if it was available on the 150 Beach i would have ticked it - i love bumping along sandy forest tracks hunting out secret beaches - i just grit my teeth with 2wd.

Less is more when you buy a California - dont waste your money on the fancy stuff - stick to manual everything roof / doors / gears / heating - you will enjoy the adventure more, and there will be less stuff to go wrong.

IMHO

Cali Fate is right.
It’s a Campervan, keep things as simple as possible.
I drive a manual 140 Beach. It’s plenty fast enough. Holds 88mph on cruise fully loaded with camping gear no drama. Does a camping vehicle need to be any quicker...???

If I was you, I would be looking into a Coast instead of Ocean 150 DSG

Well, I drive a 102 T6 Ocean. Even with roof box and bikes, it runs well – surprisingly well. I only have to gear down on steep motorways if I want to maintain +120 km/h. Or on very steep mountain roads.

It is not the fastest car, but it feels like my old 140 T5 SE.

The range is about 10 km/l when I run 130-140 km/h on the motorway. But when I reduce speed to 110-120 km/h I can achieve +14 km/l. I have an idea that the 150 bhp might be the same or even better due to a little more grunt.

Mine was a showroom model, so not much to spec. If we should buy today, I guess 150 bhp / 4M / Manual would be it.

I have concerns regarding max load when you go all in (204/4M/DSG), there is not much room left for bikes, and other before you max out on weight limit.

Well, I drive a 102 T6 Ocean. Even with roof box and bikes, it runs well – surprisingly well. I only have to gear down on steep motorways if I want to maintain +120 km/h. Or on very steep mountain roads.

It is not the fastest car, but it feels like my old 140 T5 SE.

The range is about 10 km/l when I run 130-140 km/h on the motorway. But when I reduce speed to 110-120 km/h I can achieve +14 km/l. I have an idea that the 150 bhp might be the same or even better due to a little more grunt.

Mine was a showroom model, so not much to spec. If we should buy today, I guess 150 bhp / 4M / Manual would be it.

I have concerns regarding max load when you go all in (204/4M/DSG), there is not much room left for bikes, and other before you max out on weight limit.
Hmmm......I did wonder how long you would resist those bigger brakes we talked of at the Champagne meet!! ;)

Being a bit nieave to California's still, I'm a bit shocked yet very pleased to hear the 102 drives so well. Great news for the range.

I met two owners of 204hp and both had the broken engine! on t6 new! ..... i'm happy with my manual 150hp ..... it's not done to run but it takes you where to serve ...

Purtroppo ... un ragazzo della mia città ha avuto una pausa nel motore (ruggine del pistone), fissato come garanzia, ma poi ha venduto la Cali .. un altro gentiluomo tedesco conosciuto per il campeggio in Croazia mi ha parlato del suo dissapointing con il motore 204hp .. .. consumo di olio, turbina rotta ecc ..... probabilmente il motore è troppo "tirato" .......

Back