Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Am I just eccentric for preferring manual?

Most people just get confused, full stop.

From what I gather, DSG is a manual gearbox with a computer attached to select the gears for you. Tiptronic gearbox is automatic.

I never had a problem with tiptronic years ago and now have a DSG.

Saying that, I’ve never had a problem with any gearbox since my beloved 1990 Golf GTI 16v when I were a lad which needed a rebuild (I probably gave it a bit more grief in my younger days though!)

Imagine this option in a Cali.

Where do I sign. ?

I have seen earlier threads on comparing manual to DSG, and find the general sentiments to be: DSG much better / no going back to manual once you try the DSG / regrets for not getting the DSG, etc. I just wonder why my own sentiments are so different.

Last week I test drove the 150 BHP manual, 150 BHP DSG and 204 BHP DSG with a view to deciding which to buy. My preference is for a 150 BHP manual (with 4 Motion), but when I read other views, I wonder if I'm missing something. My current vehicle is a 2012 Passat Variant 2.0 L manual, which I enjoy driving. I have driven an automatic only a few times, and never felt excited by them. I have to say, I enjoy the control of a manual. My experiences below:

150 BHP manual: When I drove this, I thought: wow, this has power and is very responsive. An enjoyable drive.
150 BHP DSG. When I drove this, I just felt disappointment. There seemed to be a significant delay between pressing the accelerator and getting a response. I found the drive functional, slow to respond and unexciting.
204 BHP DSG. I found this much more responsive than the 150 DSG. It was enjoyable to drive, but I found no more than the 150 manual. I had another drive in the 150 manual just to be sure.
In conclusion, if I was to get a DSG, it would have to be the 204 BHP to ensure I would enjoy the drive, but for a good few thousand Euros more! (I live in Belgium). Thus, I am inclined to go for the 150 manual, which for some reason, is only available with the 4 Motion. And I am keen on the idea of 4-wheel drive, since I plan to use it as an all year round car.

So, I just don't get it when I see the majority of comments saying they love the DSG (even the 150 BHP).
Is there anyone else out there who much prefers the manual? And why? What am I missing? The only time I feel I would prefer auto is in stop-start traffic. And for the California, there is an annoying distance between the manual gear stick and the hand break.

Also. I'm intrigued to understand why VW maintains the manual option for the 4 motion and not 2 motion (at least in Belgium). Are there advantages of a manual for 4-wheel-drive?
I've had an 180SE dsg and now have a Beach 150 manual. Both gearboxes are very good indeed so in the end it's purely down to personal choice.

The dsg is a very smooth effortless drive that seems to suit this mainly leisure vehicle, especially when touring. The manual box is also a truely excellent gearbox. IMO each gear change is slick and positive with the ratios being perfectly arranged.

I have a relaxed driving style and am rarely in a hurry to get anywhere fast so my comments relate mainly to this type of driving. More aggressive drivers may see things differently. The other thing that I should mention is that our previous 180 SE dsg 4motion was usually fully loaded with our camping equipment so was in effect, similar to a fully loaded van. Despite this it had plenty of power and accelerated very well. Having a good reserve of power linked to the dsg box is a very pleasing combination. On the other hand, our Beach is always in use for a range of different duties but is usually much more lightly loaded. Accordingly the difference in power isn't that noticable. The manual box also provides a very pleasing relaxed drive and IMO gives you a greater degree of control under some conditions e.g Try reversing a dsg up a slope and you'll find that the transfer of power will be more difficult to control.

It's true that the dsg is a more complicated unit and therefore it's possible that at some point in the future it may present expensive issues. However, as far as I am aware they seem to be very reliable units so this shouldn't be any reason to avoid having one. They do require periodic servicing though so factor in this extra expense.

Whilst I have no experience of the 204ps with either gearbox or the 150ps with the dsg, I don't see how they would alter my above mentioned impressions.

As it is a personal choice there's no point in me giving my opinion as to which gearbox I would prefer to have in any future Cali replacement, so I won't.

Last edited:
Dual clutch boxes were invented pre WW2 so they’re quite evolved. The internal theory is largely the same as manual but they use a hydraulic servo system (Mechatronic) to operate the clutches and swap cogs.

I love them. The Porsche PDK unit is sublime.

I have had the mk5 & 6 Golf GTI DSG and now a 150 Cali DSG, I loved the Golfs DSG boxes and would choose that over the manual but I think I would prefer a manual in the Cali, its just for me the Cali box is slightly more laggy than the Golf (Yes I know the GTI is a sports hatch but I would prefer the sharpness in the Cali.....Along with the Paddles.

I have had the mk5 & 6 Golf GTI DSG and now a 150 Cali DSG, I loved the Golfs DSG boxes and would choose that over the manual but I think I would prefer a manual in the Cali, its just for me the Cali box is slightly more laggy than the Golf (Yes I know the GTI is a sports hatch but I would prefer the sharpness in the Cali.....Along with the Paddles.

The new sports wheel has the Paddles apparently

I do find it a bit odd that anyone would really dismiss having an auto (/DSG) GB purely because of the extra complication/potential cost of repair, but still I've heard people say that time and again.

On that basis, we'd presumably all still be driving cars with no turbos, or independent rear suspension, or electric windows, or aircon**. I could go on (and usually do).

(** Just had to cough up more than a grand today to get the aircon fixed on our Volvo, but hey that's the cost of staying cool.) :cool:

If you want complete control go manual. If you want to eat a baguette while doing switchbacks go DSG.

I recently discovered Ham & egg with whole grain mustard worked well in this scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments. All useful.
I was leaning to the manual 4motion, but salesman's view (his personal preference - he says) is he would choose a 204 HP DSG over that. (And of course, many are happy with the 150 HP DSG). So I'm wavering. Will need to do another test drive probably. One hitch, is the test drive location is in pretty flat territory (northern Belgium), so limited chance to test on hills.
I'm looking at lots of pro/cons Youtube videos. And actually learning more about how gears and autos work. This is a great one on the DSG:

Make sure you try the DSG in sport or manual mode if you haven’t already. Minimizes the delay in pickup.

I recently discovered Ham & egg with whole grain mustard worked well in this scenario.
Does this mean having DSG could be fattening? No exercise from constantly moving a leaver back and forth to match engine to road speed and the ease of endless patisseries consumption could be a danger to ones waistline!

Does this mean having DSG could be fattening? No exercise from constantly moving a leaver back and forth to match engine to road speed and the ease of endless patisseries consumption could be a danger to ones waistline!

Difficult Scoffing with Gears (DSG)

I do find it a bit odd that anyone would really dismiss having an auto (/DSG) GB purely because of the extra complication/potential cost of repair, but still I've heard people say that time and again.

On that basis, we'd presumably all still be driving cars with no turbos, or independent rear suspension, or electric windows, or aircon**. I could go on (and usually do).

(** Just had to cough up more than a grand today to get the aircon fixed on our Volvo, but hey that's the cost of staying cool.) :cool:

94A4DF93-E226-4046-97B9-846986C49312.jpeg

I agree with your observations in the original post. I found the dsg in the Cali and t6 slow to respond when changing gears. I previously had a Ford smax with dsg that was much smoother, I did not get the same driving pleasure in the t6. So when I had to choose I went for the 4motion manual, and I do not miss dsg. In snow and driving up steep dirt roads I would rather have a manual.

I’ve driven the DSGs and my wife also has a Golf DSG. It’s a personal choice, but the manual gearbox is fantastic and I can’t understand the DSG love-in. Our 150ps Cali is manual and has a light clutch pedal and a slick change. Other than when stuck in heavy traffic, I struggle to see any benefit - especially if you enjoy driving and getting the best out of the vehicle. As a long-term purchase, the manual will enevitably be less problematic and expensive to repair as the vehicle ages. Manual is a great choice... go for it.
Don’t forget to factor in the cost of replacement Clutch, Dual Mass Flywheel and/clutch slave cylinder. More posts on these items than the DSG on this and other T5/6 Forums.

The ongoing discussion proves one thing. Some like DSG and some like Manual. Truth is you get what you prefer and don't listen to others like me. Much prefer travelling in my Cali to worrying about gear changing.

At the end of the day. Get what you want. DSG is reliable. I’ve had it now for 15years with no issues.

On balance manual was the standard for most of us and I only moved because i found it better. If you want to drive it as a manual you can and I frequently do to up the revs and keep the soot at bay.

Mike

Good evening,

I had a Tiguan with the DSG for 5 years and loved it. Driving with a DSG is so relaxing.

We bought the van as a demo model with manual clutch. And for me here is the disadvantage of the DSG in comparison with the DSG - the cost. We would struggled to afford the California with a DSG clutch (even though I would have loved it). It would have been another 6 - 8000 Euros more. Because of this we went ahead with the manual clutch.

Slowly I get use to it and it is fine. But I miss DSG for the ACC Cruise control. ACC with DSG must be a dream...

Never the less, I am happy with our camper as it is.

Regards,
Eberhard

I have driven both too. I am a manual guy . just personal choice. then vw had this pre registration emissions thing this year and were free upgrading orders to dsg. i dont know what went on there. i dont hear of many problems with either box or it would be on this forum I'm certain. for me and you it's manual. for others it's dsg all the way. no right or wrong answer there.

Slightly off topic.

I'm new to the forum - but looking for:

4wd
Manual
Diesel
Most power!

I can see there are a lot of variations in the T5/T6 in terms of the above. I think I have it sorted for the T5:

T5: 2003-2009 (Diesel)
131hp or 174hp and come with manual as an option
T5: 2010 - 2015 (Diesel)
140hp or 180hp and come with manual as an option

I have the T6 brochure in front of me:
T6: 2016 -
150PS has manual as option
204PS listed as only DSG - no manual option!

I can see from a couple of the contributors to this thread that they have 204PS in manual - so is the brochue wrong - happy if that is the case as the 204PS/manual/4WD woud do me!

Cheers!

I eventually bought a 204 HP DSG auto. Very happy with it, especially with the Actice Cruise Control. One point against the manual is that, so far, there is no auto hand brake option (which I had in my Passat), so you have to lean down far to reach the hand brake.