Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150 ps or 240ps

If you remove the circumstances where the 150 is more capable, it will no longer be more capable than the 204 – is it? ;)

I think those points you address is exactly where the 150 is more interesting than the 204. But at the end, it is all up to personal feel good, needs, environmental concerns, economy, etc.

I also agree that a more dynamic drive with less roll would be of high value on all the models.
So if I read your post correctly It is all down to Financial considerations that people go for the 150?

So if I read your post correctly It is all down to Financial considerations that people go for the 150?

Not solely but at some point yes. But the higher consumption may also have an (environmental) concern to some, like the assumption that it might be less reliable (as you point out), and the fact that the cargo limit is less than i.e. on the 102. And I am also sure that some who have the funds, will choose the 150 because they find it sufficient, not because of the price. All a matter of personal wishes.

Anyone here with a 204 wishing they’d gone 150? Thought not. :bananadance2
I wanted 150. had to get 204 because of delivery dates.
Do I regret getting 204? No idea. I am sure 150 could have been a plenty.

This is better than should I buy a Cali or a MP.

just out of interest, does the DSG work as well with the 150 or is it better suited to the 204?

I'll get my coat ......:sad

Just to throw another spanner - the bbc news quotes the massive increase in CO2 so where does this place the petrol Californias for the long term. I was told the local authority planning was to treat CO2 no different to NOx and as the petrol throws out much more CO2 the diesel makes more sense
:Stig

The dsg works by an electrical signal from the engine ecu. The changes are faster with the 204 due to the way the system configuration. The reasons for this are simple, weight v torque v speed. At higher speeds on the flat both engines will preform much the same. However added weigh, hills, long motorways climbs, mid range overtaking and the extra torque will always win. The 204 also obtains better torque lower down the rev range which is always better.

This is better than should I buy a Cali or a MP.
These threads just turn into self justification of other owners choices instead of just saying what some others have said to the OP, buy what you can afford and matches the context of you're other budgeted options.

Ffs does it really matter both are great vehicles

No one has said anything about one vehicle being better than the other, unless I missed something.

I dont collect my Cali till Thursday, so I'm still driving my 32 year old T25 Westy. It has 112 bhp but is lighter than the Calis so about the same bhp/ton as the 150. I have to say I've never felt short of power except on motorways; A-roads, rural roads, mountains - all fine. Hills are no problem - that's what the gearbox is for. I've been over Hardknott & Wrynose pass a couple of times as well as Alps & Pyrenees.

Usually my problem is that other drivers seem to assume because it's an old van it must be slow, so they pull out in front of me, don't accelerate and I have to slow down. I guess the same may happen with a Cali (van = slow)?

I've chosen a 150 manual because my primary requirement is long-term reliability. Looking forward to the significantly greater torque of the diesel though.

jp

About to order tomorrow an Ocean automatic, which engine should I order. Although we have another vehicle will also be used as 2nd vehicle as well as for camping. Current vehicle BMW530i Petrol 25mpg so either should use less fuel. Previously owned a split screen 45 years ago & a hymer a class 2.5 diesel manual. Interested in performance & driving differences. We have to get out onto a busy main road with a cold engine. Also turning right with a roundabout about 80 yards to the right. Cars coming round the roundabout fast only seen at the last minute, also just after our turning 30mph ends. No trouble getting out with BMW, how about automatic Ocean.
If you are the kind of person who bought a 530i and not the obvious choice of a 520D (the premium price hike is about 10.000£) I would definitely go for the 204, price difference is 3000£? I drive a 520D and I dont find the 204 4motion DSG is even near the 520D.
I would not get the 204 as fwd since IT has lots of torque steer even with 4motion.

Had it been available, we'd have bought a 204 Beach, however, 150 was the only option available.

If replacing tomorrow, I'd happily get the 150 again.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Just to throw this in the mix, I actually have a 204 however if I was buying again I would buy a 150 as I had one as a loaner for two weeks and the MPG was so much better and the performance was not that noticeable. Also all the problems I have had so far have been engine related and service manager at local dealer told me the 150 is the engine to go for as it appears I am not alone. All well and good now but it worries the hell out of me one the warranty expires.

For those interested I am purchasing a 204 with stiffer anti roll bars following the comments. After the comments on reliability I also took out the additional two year factory warranty.

For those interested I am purchasing a 204 with stiffer anti roll bars following the comments. After the comments on reliability I also took out the additional two year factory warranty.
Good to hear. I hope your wait is short.

Just to throw this in the mix, I actually have a 204 however if I was buying again I would buy a 150 as I had one as a loaner for two weeks and the MPG was so much better and the performance was not that noticeable. Also all the problems I have had so far have been engine related and service manager at local dealer told me the 150 is the engine to go for as it appears I am not alone. All well and good now but it worries the hell out of me one the warranty expires.
I

I also had a 150 on loan for two weeks when my roof was being done, used it for a journey from Edinburgh to Portsmouth, much more economical than my 180 especially at higher motorway speeds, no issues with overtaking, did not notice any lack of power.

Hi All,
I’ve just had my weekly email on the most popular topics and this one was at the top of the list...
My first thought’s.. with a smile, This is going to open up that can of worms with a perfectly innocent question.
As always tho, some interesting views. Some very personal views and some very defensive views.
From me; well I think both units are up to the job. I say I think as I originally had a 150 in my head (but never driven), the test drive was a 204. I liked and that became my new choice.
If you can stretch to it go for the larger lump for the benefits the extra cost and larger lump brings, if you are unable, then stick with the 150. From all of the research I did before my test drive I decided that it is more than capable.
I don’t think you will be disappointed either way.

Enjoy....

Why are people thinking that buying the 150 is decided on cost? That is not the case with us, we could quite easily afford the 204 but we actually wanted the 150!!!
Totally agree. Money was not a consideration but reliabilty and use were the determining factors. It is campervan and long term use and reliability are more important than any other factor. I did drive a 204 and it was nice but to be honest not much different apart from very steep hill climbs where a gear change easily coped. You get what you want and just be happy. I smile every time I drive mine:)