Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

17" brakes

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
On the VW Beach configurator there is the option of a 17" chassis. This no cost option effectively increases the payload. The only difference that I can see, are better brakes.

Now here's my question: Are both front and back brakes different or is it, as I suspect, merely bigger calipers, discs and pads on the front end? Also, are there any other differences like a bigger servo etc?

Having had an SE with 17" brakes and now own a Beach with 16" offerings, I much prefer the 17" brakes. There is nothing wrong with the brakes on my current Beach but the bigger brakes undoubtedly do the job better. If they are the only differences, I might consider changing the front calipers when the front discs and pads are due for renewal.

Can anyone advise me?

The front brakes are sized for 17" wheels, whereas the rear brakes are smaller (as fitted to 16" wheels).

So if your Beach has 16" wheels fitted now, and if you upgrade the front brakes to the 17" wheel calipers/discs etc., then you are going to need to upgrade your wheels and tyres also to at least 17". This is not an insignificant cost.

The front brakes are sized for 17" wheels, whereas the rear brakes are smaller (as fitted to 16" wheels).

So if your Beach has 16" wheels fitted now, and if you upgrade the front brakes to the 17" wheel calipers/discs etc., then you are going to need to upgrade your wheels and tyres also to at least 17". This is not an insignificant cost.
Thanks Alan,
My Beach already has 17" wheels so it would only be the front discs, pads and calipers.

Front brakes. Mine are the size of dustbin lids compared to most other T5s. The benefit of this is at 38000miles the front brakes still have plenty of life left on them.

I suppose the next question is: Would the calipers be a straight swop? I cannot see why they wouldn't be.

I guess if you look on the parts list that Welsh Gas has rhe link for and check to see if the hubs are same part no that will confirm it. I gree Paul, cant see why they would be different.

I suppose the next question is: Would the calipers be a straight swop? I cannot see why they wouldn't be.
As the disc diameter is bigger, you will need new callipers too. So no, not a straight swap.

Alan

My T5 had the standard 16" brakes, So the second van a T6 I spec'd the 17" option for £100. Our current Cali 150 came with these as standard which was a bonus, I'm not an expert but if the mounting points for the callipers are the same I would think that the discs and callipers would be a straight swap (but at what cost)?

I'm sure VW Guru will know for sure on all counts. I think they look cool filling the wheels even 18", but best of all the 150 is now over braked IMO so should benefit towing a trailer, or less fade on long downhill sections.

This Parts Diagram might help but not very informative I'm afraid.

I have just had a set of sportline calipers and discs fitted to my beach. Bought secondhand calipers and discs, which were in good condition, but bought new pads.
I did some research and found it to be a straight swap. My beach came with 17" wheels as standard but I run 18s from my previous SE.
The mechanic who fitted them didn't comment on having any problems.

This Parts Diagram might help but not very informative I'm afraid.

Thanks WG. That's very useful. I can't really see VW using different brackets/carriers for the front calipers so it's my guess that 16" and 17" calipers are interchangeable. It remains to be seen but it should be a straight forward job.

Here you go

Thanks.
I'd forgotten about the back plates. An upgrade is looking quite expensive. It makes the "no cost option" on a new build look like the bargain of the century. Still a bit of shopping around might reduce the costs.

I have just had a set of sportline calipers and discs fitted to my beach. Bought secondhand calipers and discs, which were in good condition, but bought new pads.
I did some research and found it to be a straight swap. My beach came with 17" wheels as standard but I run 18s from my previous SE.
The mechanic who fitted them didn't comment on having any problems.
Thanks, that's very useful info. How have you found the new brakes?

This looks like my set up. Big disc / twin pot calipers

Yep mine are big
IMG_20190719_183134.jpg

Try some harder pads Paul and bigger boots
I remember when we first got our previous SE 180 dsg, I absent mindedly reverted to doing that boring manual driving thing of trying to depress the clutch with my left foot. Given that one usually depresses the clutch with much more force than the brake pedal, the 17" brakes worked extremely well on that occasion. In fact I can remember that split second clearly as the van stopped dead on it's nose. The screaching of tyres was accompanied by the alarming sound of crockery gattering speed in the back!

I only did that once. :Nailbiting

When asked by Mrs B why I had caused her to drop a stitch, I of course did the honourably thing and blamed it on a cat.

Last edited:
On the VW Beach configurator there is the option of a 17" chassis. This no cost option effectively increases the payload. The only difference that I can see, are better brakes.

Now here's my question: Are both front and back brakes different or is it, as I suspect, merely bigger calipers, discs and pads on the front end? Also, are there any other differences like a bigger servo etc?

Having had an SE with 17" brakes and now own a Beach with 16" offerings, I much prefer the 17" brakes. There is nothing wrong with the brakes on my current Beach but the bigger brakes undoubtedly do the job better. If they are the only differences, I might consider changing the front calipers when the front discs and pads are due for renewal.

Can anyone advise me?
Advise, mmm 17”/16” brakes. I don’t understand what these sizes relate to? Is this swept area as can’t be diameter, can it ?
I am slumming it in a 2010 SE but the brakes are very very effective.
Braking is a science in it’s own right as you know and do not have the information necessary to advise.
I do know though that when fitting new discs it’s a good idea to remove the storeroom id sticky labels from the clamping location hub face of the new discs to prevent annoying speed related shimmying.
A point wasted on the main dealer who did mine. Due to travel time and distance I corrected them myself hence me knowing the cause.
Long winded way of saying if you plan to change such vital components make sure the guy fitting them is on the same page.

The 16" or 17" relates to the size of wheels that will fit.
If you have the 17" brakes, you won't be able to fit 16" wheels on it.
If I look closely to my 16" alloy's, I would not want to be in the balance weigt's place. they are just a couple of millimeter away from the brake calliper. Translate that in a couple of rpm's, and you know what I mean.

And indeed, changing vital parts of a verhicle, must be done on own risk. If anything would happen, and they find out you have different parts on your vehicle as opposed to the certificate of conformity, you will be in big trouble.
My16" brakes are managing very well, and even after 140000 km, I am still running on my first set of front brake pads. My rear pads needed replacing 10000 km ago, because of the weight on the rear.

The 16" or 17" relates to the size of wheels that will fit.
If you have the 17" brakes, you won't be able to fit 16" wheels on it.
If I look closely to my 16" alloy's, I would not want to be in the balance weigt's place. they are just a couple of millimeter away from the brake calliper. Translate that in a couple of rpm's, and you know what I mean.

And indeed, changing vital parts of a verhicle, must be done on own risk. If anything would happen, and they find out you have different parts on your vehicle as opposed to the certificate of conformity, you will be in big trouble.
My16" brakes are managing very well, and even after 140000 km, I am still running on my first set of front brake pads. My rear pads needed replacing 10000 km ago, because of the weight on the rear.

Thank you,
I am amazed that a mass produced van should enjoy such fine tuning as to change size of calliper in response to wheel and bhp choice. Does this apply to both front and rear?
I am interested as I’m thinking of changing wheels for higher grade offroad and air suspension.
Mine is on 16” alloys as I prefer the taller sideswalls for offroad.
The SE with three large batteries and full liquids and luggage is a heavy vehicle and needs excellent brakes.

Back