Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger Brakes

Scorf

Scorf

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just thought I'd offer an opinion on one of the options available on the Beach these days, namely the uprated chassis & brakes.

Known simply on the options list as - 17" chassis with 17" brake system, It results in Gross Vehicle Weight Rating increasing from 3000Kg to 3080Kg.

So this is the standard Ocean set up (or T32 in base transporter spec), now available to order for a Beach.

This is a No Cost Option, however It does of course necessitate the ordering of 17" wheels over and above the standard Beach 16" set up which costs north of £1100.

I was attracted to this option because of the bigger brake set up (340mm Front discs) as we'll be towing a caravan during the summer months, and even though the combined maximum train weight is the same, I wanted that extra margin of safety.

I have to say, I haven't been disappointed. Although I've done less than a 1000 miles in the Bus so far, my initial impression is that this is an option definitely worth having.

Even a basic Beach is 2.3 tonnes unladen, which is considerably heavier than the Landcruiser we had previously, but the stopping power is effortless, instilling real confidence, so if anyone else was wondering if its worth it, I would wholeheartedly recommend :thumb

Standard now on the ocean, was a £100 extra on my last van. but agree they are far better and look cool the dustbin lid discs and bigger callipers.

Having had an se with big brakes, I am now in the process of retro fitting a set to my beach. The current setup is fine but can be better.
Thankfully my beach came with 17" wheels, even though I currently run 18s, so come sell up time it will be fine.

Having had an se with big brakes, I am now in the process of retro fitting a set to my beach. The current setup is fine but can be better.
Thankfully my beach came with 17" wheels, even though I currently run 18s, so come sell up time it will be fine.

Are you fitting VW parts? often wondered how much it would have cost to upgrade.

Are you fitting the larger discs etc from the 180SE? Can you let me know parts and costs please.

Are the master cylinders different?

Sticking with vw parts, second hand calipers from a sportline with the appropriate discs. The mounting points are the same just the caliper is bigger. As far as I can find the master cylinder is the same.
Did look at some aftermarket calipers but the price can be eye watering. Also on some you can't have anything smaller than 19" wheels, which I don't want to do and it would involve more cost.
Cost, well it depends on what you're willing to spend. Bought second hand calipers with discs for around £500, all in good order, will be put new pads in when they get fitted.

Sticking with vw parts, second hand calipers from a sportline with the appropriate discs. The mounting points are the same just the caliper is bigger. As far as I can find the master cylinder is the same.
Did look at some aftermarket calipers but the price can be eye watering. Also on some you can't have anything smaller than 19" wheels, which I don't want to do and it would involve more cost.
Cost, well it depends on what you're willing to spend. Bought second hand calipers with discs for around £500, all in good order, will be put new pads in when they get fitted.
Don't forget to inform your Insurance company.

Don't worry, I already informed them of other mods, will do same again when fitted.