Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2.5 Petrol running temps

apatchee

apatchee

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

Anybody else got a 2.5 Petrol in there T4 Cali?

Had mine a couple of months now and starting to get to use to driving it about.

The engine fans seem to come on quite a bit. The engine temp gauge shows it runs on around 1/4 way up on cooler days (fan doesn't kick in as much).
Warmer days engine temp gauge runs on half way rising just above in traffic ( fan kicking in and out quite a bit).

This sound about right?
I've come from a Aircooled T2 so had no idea what was going on with temps, and we have a modern Vw Passat so the fans hardly ever kick in.

Any feed back would be great Thanks

Andy

Sounds like your thermostat might of failed. The temperature gauge should sit in the middle whatever the driving conditions you're in. Rising slightly when it's hotter before the fan kicks in to bring things back down to regular running temperature.

Sounds like your thermostat might of failed. The temperature gauge should sit in the middle whatever the driving conditions you're in. Rising slightly when it's hotter before the fan kicks in to bring things back down to regular running temperature.

Yeah it does seem to stay in the middle when we are going a long, if I'm stuck in heavy traffic or on hills it does rise up to the next marker on the gauge.

The fans do bring the temp back down.
I guess I'm just not use to a vehicle where they come on as often as this.

My 2.4D sat around 1/4 on cool days then up to half way normally. Pushing hard in hot weather or up an alp then it went up to 3/4.

How many miles has your motor done?

Temp fluctuations like this can be an indication of a worn bottom end but given this is a T4 I'd think that unlikely.

Just crack on

My 2.4D sat around 1/4 on cool days then up to half way normally. Pushing hard in hot weather or up an alp then it went up to 3/4.

How many miles has your motor done?

Temp fluctuations like this can be an indication of a worn bottom end but given this is a T4 I'd think that unlikely.

Just crack on
Going on what you have just mentioned mine does the same as that!

I was just really checking that was normal really.
Mine has done 140k (miles)

My 2.4d stays just below half then when going uphill or in traffic it will go just over half until the fans kick in taking it to just below.

Once up to temp my 2.5 petrol (AAF Auto) sits happily on or slightly above the middle all day regardless of OAT or speed. Fans do come in and out very regularly though when I come to a halt, I'd say about 30s on, minute off.

Back