Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 or 3 sit bench?

Why didn't they make hinges so it can be narrowed for moving the seat further back.

Dunno. Maybe because there's already stacks of room.

There's an opportunity here for someone to make a folding version for the aftermarket.

I've also considered hinging the front fastening, so that you could lift up the back like a sunlounger. Would make reading in bed much more comfortable.

I'm confused.
Triple bench + flexiboard come for free.
Double bench goes only with that worse board and box on the left side is a paid option...

I think the 2 seater bench with box is standard free of charge and the 3 seater is an option but with no cost.

Anybody has pictures or even better videos of that container box in 2 sitter? Is it top loading?
I see lots of people mount a fridge above it which is very practical, but how to access that box then?
Sorry for late reply but here are a few pictures of the box. And one of the draw in the 2 seater beach. Hope they help.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thank you a lot!
That huge drawer under the bench is alone a reason to go for 2seater. I think 3 small drawers in3 seater have less space. Might have to build my own rear board for my needs though.

Yes the draw is great you can store lots in it and the cupboard is also a good size for clothes and toiletries.
I agree the flexi board could be more flexible would be interested to see what you or any other Beach 2seater owners have done regards this issue in the future.

Just done about 2000 miles around South Island NZ with my Beach (two seater bench). It's normally just the two of us, but we took our two adult children as we were visiting family for Christmas. I believe that the seats in the 3 seater bench may be more comfortable as they are contoured, although obviously not so good for sleeping. For the trip I removed my kitchen POD and refitted the bench box as I wasn't intending wild camping. This gave us plenty of room for four with the Waeco CF-40 fridge wedge between the bench box and passenger seat. We had a tent although on a few nights all four of us slept in the van, jury's out on whether upstairs or downstairs is best.

If there's only two of you I think the two seater is the better option as you can build a pod for the left side and the bench seat will still slide past and make into a bed, albeit narrower (same as SE Cali). You can then mount the fridge behind the pod. I put the Porta Potti (Qube 345) and 5 large staples boxes under the bench.

For more on Beach Pods there's a whole thread on here.

Andy

How do you mount the fridge? Do you simply put it on that side box?

How do you mount the fridge? Do you simply put it on that side box?
Currently it sits on the floor. I am still making my final Pod in laminate, initial version in mdf has been passed for self-containment in NZ (24 ltr fresh water, 24 ltr grey water,+sink = porta potti = 3 days freedom camping for two people). I have bought a Waeco mounting bracket and will create a platform at back of pod the same height as sidebox and will secure it using that. It will act as arm rest for rear nearside passenger and is better than just having empty space next to them.

Andy

Back