Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 SoT Kayaks - best way to secure them

M

mainy

Guest User
Hi, I've recently bought 2 SoT tandem Kayaks for use for me and my wife and two kids. The challenge i've got is reading the forum it is a bit of a minefield in terms of best way to have them on the van. They are quite wide (86cm each) but i realise having them both on the flat is unlikely unless i can get a hold of long bars which are likely to protrude too far out the side. It seems most roof rack from Thule comes up at 135cm. My question, does anyone have a similar situation. If so do you mount on the upright or do one on the upright and one flat. I'm thinking flat is ideal for drag/robustness etc but i could be wrong? I had emailed Karitek but due to the width the rack system would be too wide IMO. Grateful for your opinions.

Hi, I've recently bought 2 SoT tandem Kayaks for use for me and my wife and two kids. The challenge i've got is reading the forum it is a bit of a minefield in terms of best way to have them on the van. They are quite wide (86cm each) but i realise having them both on the flat is unlikely unless i can get a hold of long bars which are likely to protrude too far out the side. It seems most roof rack from Thule comes up at 135cm. My question, does anyone have a similar situation. If so do you mount on the upright or do one on the upright and one flat. I'm thinking flat is ideal for drag/robustness etc but i could be wrong? I had emailed Karitek but due to the width the rack system would be too wide IMO. Grateful for your opinions.
Great fun. But a hell of weight to lift onto the roof - and a fair weight given the latest 50kg limit. My bars are wider than 135cm (possible 150cm) with no problem. We used to carry the singles on their sides using kayak carrier or one on top of the other. Given up now - use SUP boards.

Probably safest to get an upright to fit to the roof bars. They let you loop a strap through the top which helps secure the boat. It also means you have something to push the boat against meaning they dont fall off as you load.

Unless the boats are the same? Many SoT are designed so they can be stacked which would solve the width issue.

Either way check the weight, a lotof SoT are heavy and may exceed the 50kg roof load limit.

Probably safest to get an upright to fit to the roof bars. They let you loop a strap through the top which helps secure the boat. It also means you have something to push the boat against meaning they dont fall off as you load.

Unless the boats are the same? Many SoT are designed so they can be stacked which would solve the width issue.

Either way check the weight, a lotof SoT are heavy and may exceed the 50kg roof load limit.
Thanks for the valuable reply. Looking on other threads I thought the 50kg was increased if using a roof rack to 100kg (or even 150kg with 4 rails).
The boats are identical so I’ll give that a try first, they arrived tomorrow!

I thought the 50kg was increased if using a roof rack to 100kg

The roof load is contentious.

Early thoughts were 50kg with roof up, 100kg down. 100kg is the max load for a standard Transporter.

More recent threads/advice from VWCS is roof load of 50kg max, though this could be based on misreading their own guidance.

Logic says decent roof bars/ roof down/ basic physics will take more than the roof up. Not seen any reference to 150kg with 4 bars.

Enjoy your toys.

Lay the bed flat, turn the passenger seat round, lean it right back so that you can see the wing mirror and just slot them diagonally :rolleyes:

IMG-20200923-WA0004.jpeg

You can get 150cm bars (Thule / Whispbar), put kayaks on their sides using something like below - still a pain to lift on/off, especially if windy!..and you wont be able to pop the top until you take them off:

- https://yakima.com/products/jaylow?_ga=2.22651132.674577707.1600937197-50061209.1600937197

or if you have alot of cash (but check max combined weight of bars, slide out, kayaks, etc):

-

I really liked the idea of the Thule Hullavator, but I was worried about the extra pressure on the pop top... When the kayaks are loaded on the side, all the weight and force is trying to lift the roof bars.. which are on the pop top. I'm now leaning towards a roller on the back of the cali and half moon type support on the front. Essentially roll the kayaks from the rear onto the roof and secure.

Lay the bed flat, turn the passenger seat round, lean it right back so that you can see the wing mirror and just slot them diagonally :rolleyes:

View attachment 66817
This is by far the easiest. It's what makes a lwb van perfect for kayakers.

Until you misjudge the position, close the boot and take out the windscreen or rear glass. Sadly I've seen it happen, mostly kayaks in cars to be fair.

I saw a windsurfer through a front windscreen when he stopped too quickly :oops:

Thanks for the valuable reply. Looking on other threads I thought the 50kg was increased if using a roof rack to 100kg (or even 150kg with 4 rails).
The boats are identical so I’ll give that a try first, they arrived tomorrow!
Just don't try to put the roof up with them on lo!

Just don't try to put the roof up with them on lo!
If anyone is looking to carry kayaks on roof, I would recommend Thule Pro bars,
the adjustment slot under the Pro bar runs the whole length, so you can adjust the feet width, enabling the bar to continue past the foot, up to the width of the van, but only if you’ve brought the very long bars. Many lengths available.
This overhang of the bar helps protect the roof when loading/ unloading, just in case the kayak slips during lifting.
The best way to tie 2 kayaks onto the bars, is to use 4 VERY long 4m+ cam straps, use ones with the buckles covered in protective rubber.
Thread two of cam straps onto the front bar, one for each kayak, hold the four ends and position them at the centre of the bar. Have the 4 ends hanging at the front of van bonnet,
Do the same for rear bar, with the two cam straps round centre of roof bar, 4 ends hanging down rear of the van.
Load one kayak, and flip one cam strap over kayak and tighten down round the bar near the foot, do the same for rear cam strap.
Load second kayak and repeat,
The knack is always put the 4 straps round centre of the bars before kayaks are loaded and have very long straps so you can hold both ends at the same time, to flip over the kayak, by standing at front and rear of the van.
Clear as mud...hope it helps someone

Hi, how did you solve this in the end.
I have a solo and a tandem SOT. Just purchased Thule Eco ProBars 200cms for the roof of a T6.1 Ocean. I plan to mount them hull side up, side by side. I have cam straps and am about to get some bow straps as a back up.
I have another thread about this on the forum at the moment and there ar many different opinions about max weight on the roof of an Ocean.
If it is now to be believed that the max load is 50kg, regardless of raising the roof, then I will be over by roughly 12kg. When I purchased a T5 11 years ago it was believed to be 100kg.
I ask as your two tandems would probably be heavier than my load.
Thanks.

Hi, how did you solve this in the end.
I have a solo and a tandem SOT. Just purchased Thule Eco ProBars 200cms for the roof of a T6.1 Ocean. I plan to mount them hull side up, side by side. I have cam straps and am about to get some bow straps as a back up.
I have another thread about this on the forum at the moment and there ar many different opinions about max weight on the roof of an Ocean.
If it is now to be believed that the max load is 50kg, regardless of raising the roof, then I will be over by roughly 12kg. When I purchased a T5 11 years ago it was believed to be 100kg.
I ask as your two tandems would probably be heavier than my load.
Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply. I used the below batch of equipment from the roofbox company. Overall with the two SoT's and the roofbars i think my weight came in at 74Kg or so from memory. Of course i never left the roof with the kayaks on which means removing them at night. Including a telescopic ladder it seems to do the trick for us. Lifting them up you need two people but only really for stability to get them on the back "glide bar", then the move easily forward and sit in the "saddle" fixings. I've attached the best photo i could find from my files showing it on the side. As you will see, because of the glide bars the hull is to the roof. Hope this helps.

2 x Thule DockGlide kayak carrier no. 896

1 x Thule QuickDraw no. 838

1 x Yakima Hood Anchor tie-down attachments (1 pair) no. 8007416

1 x Thule Professional 200cm heavy-duty bars (2) no. 394

1 x Thule Rapid System Fixpoint XT feet (4) no. 751 (Volkswagen VW T6 California (2015 onwards))

1 x Thule Rapid System Fixpoint XT adapter kit no. 3057 (Volkswagen VW T6 California (2015 onwards))

Attachments

• van kayaks.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
Sorry for the late reply. I used the below batch of equipment from the roofbox company. Overall with the two SoT's and the roofbars i think my weight came in at 74Kg or so from memory. Of course i never left the roof with the kayaks on which means removing them at night. Including a telescopic ladder it seems to do the trick for us. Lifting them up you need two people but only really for stability to get them on the back "glide bar", then the move easily forward and sit in the "saddle" fixings. I've attached the best photo i could find from my files showing it on the side. As you will see, because of the glide bars the hull is to the roof. Hope this helps.

2 x Thule DockGlide kayak carrier no. 896

1 x Thule QuickDraw no. 838

1 x Yakima Hood Anchor tie-down attachments (1 pair) no. 8007416

1 x Thule Professional 200cm heavy-duty bars (2) no. 394

1 x Thule Rapid System Fixpoint XT feet (4) no. 751 (Volkswagen VW T6 California (2015 onwards))
Great. Thanks for getting back to me on this. My new van has now arrived. I have the same roof rack as you with a 200cm width. I also have to Thule bow and stern tie down with the Yakima hood anchors. I haven’t fitted them yet though! My difference is that I will load them upside down and that I have a tandem and a solo next to each other. This will be a little unbalanced.

Can I ask why you opted for the DockGlide system as apposed to just mounting then upside down?

The most interesting thing is the max weight issue, you have loaded 74kg, mine will be approx 60kg. I had a chat with my dealer about this and he confirmed that the company line was a maximum of 50kg and he was unable to say anything different. He said to be aware that the roof section is aluminium. However he did agree that the roof hasn’t changed in design and VW used to recommend a max weight of 100kg.

Thanks again for replying.

Great. Thanks for getting back to me on this. My new van has now arrived. I have the same roof rack as you with a 200cm width. I also have to Thule bow and stern tie down with the Yakima hood anchors. I haven’t fitted them yet though! My difference is that I will load them upside down and that I have a tandem and a solo next to each other. This will be a little unbalanced.

Can I ask why you opted for the DockGlide system as apposed to just mounting then upside down?

The most interesting thing is the max weight issue, you have loaded 74kg, mine will be approx 60kg. I had a chat with my dealer about this and he confirmed that the company line was a maximum of 50kg and he was unable to say anything different. He said to be aware that the roof section is aluminium. However he did agree that the roof hasn’t changed in design and VW used to recommend a max weight of 100kg.

Thanks again for replying.
No worries, I opted for it due to the weight/awkwardness of the thing, once you get the nose onto the back glide parts it is really easy to push them on, it has worked well for us :) when they are cradled like that on the front part as well they are really sticky to move so the glide bards work nicely, kind of like launching a ship in reverse.

Enjoy your travels in your new van!

Back