Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 switches...what are they for...?

nomadicmedic2005

nomadicmedic2005

VIP Member
Morning all! I've been exploring the van in a bit more detail during the sunny weather we've had recently (although it's currently tipping down in West Sussex). I've a couple of questions about 2 switches I've found...any help would be greatly appreciated.

On the driver's side pillar at the rear of my seat there is a switch that looks like it should control some sort of lighting - perhaps to switch off all lights from the bed? I can't make it do anything and can't find reference to it in the manual. Any ideas?

Also in the cup holder in the back, driver's side again, there is a spring loaded catch/switch. Doesn't seem to serve any purpose but must've been put there for a reason...

I'll put some photos up if my descriptions haven't helped.

Thanks very much!

They are for disabling the volumetric and movement sensors of the alarm.

Useful on ferries and if you leave dogs in the van.

Open the door, they'll light up red...press the button (a couple of times in my case) till they change from their normal colour to orange. That part of the alarm is then disabled. (For mine only until the next time the van is opened. That is, it needs to be done each time)

The spring loaded part of the passenger compartment cup holder is simply to stop cups and bottles rattling around

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Mark

The switch in the drivers door pillar is for the anti tow alarm to allow you to switch it off whilst on ferry's etc. The other one you describe I think is just to help hold the cup in the holder and does nothing else

SimplyDubs said:
They are for disabling the volumetric and movement sensors of the alarm.

Useful on ferries and if you leave dogs in the van.

The spring loaded part of the passenger compartment cup holder is simply to stop cups and bottles rattling around

Rgds

Mark

Thanks very much! :thanks

Mark you be at me to it :thumb :thumb I must be losing my touch :laugh2

Calikev said:
Mark you be at me to it :thumb :thumb I must be losing my touch :laugh2

:) :thumb

Edited to add a few more useful details...

The volumetric alarm switch in the driver seat pillar in my Beach 2013 is not clear to me.
I arrive in the car at night: I open the car with the remote, open the sliding door and enter the car: the alarm switch led is red (I think it's red, looks pink, don't think it's orange, but it's not very clear because of the sun light). Pushing the button ( top or bottom part), doens't make any difference.
I close the sliding door. The light doesn't change, stays red (?pink, ??orange). I push the alarm: the alarm switch led colour doesn't change. Pushing: no difference.
I close the car from within with the remote: no more alarm light. After a few seconds the alarm goes off.
What am I doing wrong?
It's probably confusing because of the daylight, VW should make it easier for dummies. There migth be a technical problem but I think the problem is me.
I did not use the key, I assume I leave the parked car and come back before going to bed.
Thanks for any help. I read the manual and I just don't get it.

I think it needs to be set with the drivers door open rather than the sliding door.

That's what I'm thinking too now.
And it probably stays switched off until the engine is started the next morning, to prevent the alarm goes off when going back to bed thru the sliding door after a toilet visit during the night.
Anyone sure?
I also wonder if it makes a difference if you close the car with the button in the door or with the remote.
I'm doing a few tests again.
I remember one night I put the key to prevent the car from locking itself and enabling the volumetric alarm.
Why do they take red and orange ??? Red and green would be easier...

the pillar led is very clearly orange when pushing the button with the driver's door open-that makes the difference indeed!

Ok, so we arrive after going out for supper, kids open sliding door, I have to open the driver's door to set off the volumetric alarm by clicking the button
I close all doors, lock the car with the remote, see the general alarm is set because of the blinking red lights in the door, and I can be sure the volumetric alarm is NOT set because I see no red light in the pillar? (no light at all).
I can go out for a drink, my kids can go to bed but can go to the toilet in the mean time (using the sliding door), everything is set until the engine is started the next morning?

what if I put my key to listen to the radio when coming back after my drink (I do need the key after switching the VW radio to a Pioneer one), no problem as long as I don't see a red light in the pillar?
am I getting it right?

I don't set alarm when in the van = no problems such as you describe

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Andy, how do you do that? I've been thinking of removing the alarm if I don't get it...

Just lock van with switch on drivers door which deadlocks it. Need to pull twice on side door to open.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

nomadicmedic2005 said:
Also in the cup holder in the back, driver's side again, there is a spring loaded catch/switch. Doesn't seem to serve any purpose but must've been put there for a reason...

Yup, you've just found the most useless feature of the otherwise great Cali!

Thanks Andy! Will do that from now on.

Isn't it also possible to disable the volumetrics alarm by double clicking the close button on the remote fob??

That's what I always do when I leave the van with the roof up to go down the pub. Probably non-sensical, but that section in the manual is completely unintelligible.

Possibly, but how do you know disabling worked? Because you don't hear the alarm? I hate this volumetric alarm. My dealer recommended me not to buy it, saying "it's expensive and doens't stop thieves", I understand why now.

Anyway, I'm very grateful for all help from colleague owners!

Back