Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Canvas - Roof Stop Switches?

comfortz

comfortz

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Hi Folks,

I have managed to source a new canvas for my se - mine is damaged in a few places so managed to pick a nearly new one from Germany.

With my van being a 2006 the roof goes up a little higher than the later vans hence the roof canvas is a little larger (2" front and rear) than the one I've got hold of.

So here is my question - how does the roof know its fully erected? Switches?, Pressure? or something else?

I don't want to put the new canvas on then - rrrrrriiiiiiippppp :Nailbiting

Cheers
Nick

Also think it is not by a switch....the struds all the way out and then pressure building up till it sets itself off.
I can see noting electrical on the roof mecanism or struds.....

Nick. This is in the California Training Manual

"Pop-up roof electrohydraulics
The electrohydraulic pop-up roof is operated by the roof hydraulics control unit J768 that controls the roof actuation
hydraulic pump V118. The roof actuation hydraulic pump is connected to two hydraulic cylinders. Each hydraulic
cylinder moves the props up on both sides.
Roof hydraulics senders G491 - G494 are fitted at the front and rear end stops.
They indicate to the roof hydraulics control unit whether the electrohydraulic pop-up roof is completely open or
closed. Two grommets seal the openings in the front reinforcement section of the roof cut-out."

That would seem to indicate to me that there pressure switches, bit vague though.

Edit. Just pmed you

Last edited:
Thanks a lot fellas :thumb I think that's why there's a bit of extra wurring at the end of the cycle when the roofs fully up - maybe it just takes that bit of pressure to activate the switches

Hi Folks,

I have managed to source a new canvas for my se - mine is damaged in a few places so managed to pick a nearly new one from Germany.

With my van being a 2006 the roof goes up a little higher than the later vans hence the roof canvas is a little larger (2" front and rear) than the one I've got hold of.

So here is my question - how does the roof know its fully erected? Switches?, Pressure? or something else?

I don't want to put the new canvas on then - rrrrrriiiiiiippppp :Nailbiting

Cheers
Nick
I would have thought it must be some mechanical stop on the struts that determine how high the roof goes, then at that point the hydraulics pressurise against the stop and engage the pressure switch to switch off, otherwise how would it cope with a 50Kgm roof load. It cannot be pressure alone that determines the height, can it?

I've had chance to have a good look more closely at this today and there's about 6" difference at the front end of the canvas - my canvas being a 7H7875059B 2006 van.
I'm going to bite the bullet and order a new one from VW so the size is correct.

So I'm going to pop the new one up for sale in the for sale section in a moment .... its a 3 window version - pretty much as new condition.
The part number on the canvas I have is 7H7875059G which is off a facelift vehicle I believe - the part number is in the top of the center batten at the very front of the canvas. - £350

I found a thread of changing the canvas here - - > http://www.furgovw.org/index.php?topic=303701.0

English translation below - Looks straight forward enough - albeit a bit time consuming.

"Good. Here I leave a tiny brico how the canvas roof of a California T5 advantage to bring my laptop to a house with internet !!!! changed. Mine I had to remove water that I came back and broke , I was lucky to ENCONTRA another with the front window ; D ; D ; D . It's simple , it will put a black rubber streaks by rails that go on the roof and the base. I used to remove them gently with a alicater I had.

Little by little you're pulling with great care and patience and go out . Since you can get a little shoot well and gum goes without problem , except in some sites that have glue and costs a little more .

Of course you have to go slowly through the roof of Cali is a very bad to work area.

Once you have removed all canvas comes the best part , which is to put the new one.

The only science that is to look at some marks in the canvas , search and make it more or less as the mark on the rail

I started at the top of the roof. The first thing I did was squaring the corners , may have to throw some canvas to reach either the marked points since the beginning canvas is not given if .
Once stuck in the corners , I was getting slowly rubber rails and go. If not fit, I guess you can help a little oil or petroleum jelly for the better , in my case I did not need ."

Well I ordered a new set of bellows from VW using my part number £550 and when they came they were exactly the same as the one I had from Germany, basically too short. So biting the bullet I though may as well ruin the cheaper second hand ones rather than the new ones! I had another look at my canvas and I felt the tension on the material and it was nowhere near as tight as the canvas on a 2014 model I once hired so I though let's do it!

Result it fits and I now have an extra window in the front!

A relatively straight forward job, there's little marks on the rubber seal and the channel in the roof so you know you're lined up! hardest bit being getting the first part of the rubber seal up then it pulls out pretty easily!

I'll probably do another how to link to help folks out - but looking at this...I'm fairly confident a T6 improved canvas, would fit a T5!

View media item 922View media item 915View media item 914View media item 918View media item 921

I'll probably do another how to link to help folks out - but looking at this...I'm fairly confident a T6 improved canvas, would fit a T5!

Oooo, that's a tempting mod...any idea what the part numbers are for T6 bellows?

Back