Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 test drives completed, options chosen and ready to go!

Rhyddin

Rhyddin

A T6 Beach, named Dory
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Well, after 6 months of reading pretty much every forum post on here, watching every YouTube video, reading every review in every language and two good test drives, I think I'm ready to go!

My wife has now confirmed that she won't divorce me if I buy one, which is a big step forward, and the additional £750 towards the deposit from VW has swung it for me.

So, the spec I've chosen is:

150PS DSG Beach
Acapulco Blue
Kutamo Cloth
3 seater bench
2 additional rear seats
Comfort dash
Composition media DAB+
App Connect
Comfort Mattress
ACC (99mph)
Lights and Vision package
Parking sensors and camera
Black awning
Detachable towbar
Power latching tailgate
Electric sliding side door
Electric folding mirrors
Parking heater with remote (as per Ocean)
Sliding window - drivers side
Privacy glass

Still not sure about the Exterior package - I want the fog lamps and headlight upgrade but I also want the body coloured wing mirrors and the only way to get the fog lights and the headlight upgrade is the package and it automatically blacks the mirrors. Black mirrors suit a black, white or yellow van but not sure about Acapulco blue so I haven't decided.

Any feedback?

Well, after 6 months of reading pretty much every forum post on here, watching every YouTube video, reading every review in every language and two good test drives, I think I'm ready to go!

My wife has now confirmed that she won't divorce me if I buy one, which is a big step forward, and the additional £750 towards the deposit from VW has swung it for me.

150PS DSG Beach
Acapulco Blue
Kutamo Cloth
3 seater bench
2 additional rear seats
Comfort dash
Composition media DAB+
App Connect
Comfort Mattress
ACC (99mph)
Black awning
Detachable towbar
Power latching tailgate
Electric folding mirrors
Privacy glass

Still not sure about the Exterior package - I want the fog lamps and headlight upgrade but I also want the body coloured wing mirrors and the only way to get the fog lights and the headlight upgrade is the package and it automatically blacks the mirrors. Black mirrors suit a black, white or yellow van but not sure about Acapulco blue so I haven't decided.

Any feedback?
:bananadanceWahoo, you've got your wife's blessing, go for it! Sounds great, I would get your fog light/headlight upgrade, you can spray up your mirror caps easy enough. Order now and look forward to summer.

150PS DSG Beach
Acapulco Blue
Kutamo Cloth
3 seater bench
2 additional rear seats
Comfort dash
Composition media DAB+
App Connect
Comfort Mattress
ACC (99mph)
Black awning
Detachable towbar
Power latching tailgate
Electric folding mirrors
Privacy glass

Any feedback?
Very timely post for me. I have been set on an Ocean with all the bells,and whistles but have got,cold feet of late due to numerous issues. Chatting with the wife today who has obviously been paying more attention than I though to my Cali rants on numerous issues. Why not a Beach she says?

Your spec seems a good starting point to my next line of research now that I am considering the beach. Looks good to me and yes go for the LED lights.

Colour is difficult and personal. Going to have a rethink if I go for a beach, might even go for the yellow!

I am known in the family for major research before a decision. However I am normally decisive. Not this time

150PS DSG Beach
Acapulco Blue
Kutamo Cloth
3 seater bench
2 additional rear seats
Comfort dash
Composition media DAB+
App Connect
Comfort Mattress
ACC (99mph)
Black awning
Detachable towbar
Power latching tailgate
Electric folding mirrors
Privacy glass

Any feedback?
Wow! That's some specced up beauty!
I'd go for the exterior pack. Lots of the videos with the coast in are aca blue with black wing mirrors. I think it looks good. Would look even better if you blacked out the b pillars. Then you'd have the b pillar, wing mirror and awning all black. That'll look good I reckon.

Very timely post for me. I have been set on an Ocean with all the bells,and whistles but have got,cold feet of late due to numerous issues. Chatting with the wife today who has obviously been paying more attention than I though to my Cali rants on numerous issues. Why not a Beach she says?

Your spec seems a good starting point to my next line of research now that I am considering the beach. Looks good to me and yes go for the LED lights.

Colour is difficult and personal. Going to have a rethink if I go for a beach, might even go for the yellow!

I am known in the family for major research before a decision. However I am normally decisive. Not this time
I think it's just a matter of priority. For me, the Ocean would be more compromise than solution and I like that I can make the Beach into exactly what I want it to be. The options aren't especially cheap but I like the choice to bespoke.

The exterior pack does not upgrade to LEDs, it just makes the halogen headlights into the same dual halogen headlights that are on the Ocean. It probably makes no difference but I like the idea. The LEDs were on my original spec list but £1500 is just too much for me to justify on top of the £7.5K+ of options I've already chosen.

The yellow Beach looks fab - I've looked at daveyboydanger's in the lot, waiting for him to collect next week, and it epitomises the fun vehicle that's wearing the paint!

Incidentally, I'm the same with the research but I think I've exhausted every resource - time to jump!

Wow! That's some specced up beauty!
I'd go for the exterior pack. Lots of the videos with the coast in are aca blue with black wing mirrors. I think it looks good. Would look even better if you blacked out the b pillars. Then you'd have the b pillar, wing mirror and awning all black. That'll look good I reckon.
I think you're right - I'll add it to the list!

Looks like a great spec!

Re the exterior pack and lights, I called my dealer and asked him if what the difference is between the Beach and Ocean lights in practice. He said that he had specifically tested this with a client and could see no difference in use, only commented that the Ocean lights looked a bit 'blingier'! The cornering fogs sound quite handy though, so I may upgrade my order to include the exterior pack, but then my vehicle is white, where the black mirrors and handles are arguably a clearer improvement.

May I ask you your impressions on the DSG? Which models did you test drive? I have been unable to do a test drive and won't be able to (overseas). I've ordered manual, but i'm still curious about the DSG on the T6 and will have a few days left to change to DSG most likely!

Doublecheck with vw uk if the Edition is coming. Lots of extras for a good price. I am really close to signing a deal at the moment for a 204HP Beach from germany.

Looks like a great spec!

Re the exterior pack and lights, I called my dealer and asked him if what the difference is between the Beach and Ocean lights in practice. He said that he had specifically tested this with a client and could see no difference in use, only commented that the Ocean lights looked a bit 'blingier'! The cornering fogs sound quite handy though, so I may upgrade my order to include the exterior pack, but then my vehicle is white, where the black mirrors and handles are arguably a clearer improvement.

May I ask you your impressions on the DSG? Which models did you test drive? I have been unable to do a test drive and won't be able to (overseas). I've ordered manual, but i'm still curious about the DSG on the T6 and will have a few days left to change to DSG most likely!
Thanks for that - that's really useful for me. I have the cornering fogs on my car and I really like them so I think I've decided to go for the pack, especially if the lights are blingier! The Coast on the promo video is in Acapulco blue with black mirrors and Daveyboydanger is right: they look good!

As for the DSG, happy to help. I test drove a T6 150ps manual Beach and a 150ps DSG Caravelle Generation 6, as it was the only demo with that engine/gearbox combo. I mostly drive an auto anyway so I do have a bias but I much preferred the DSG.

The main reason is that, while the Cali has the same smooth and quiet engine that you'd find in a Passat or A4, it's gearbox betrays its roots as a van, in that it has a very short first gear, which I just didn't like. The DSG jumped straight past it without me noticing. Plus, being able to pop it into manual (or sport auto) mode on the DSG box gives the best of both worlds, if you want it. Worth every penny to me but it's all about personal preference and what you're used to.

Essentially, despite the obvious height and size, along with van-based benefits when you arrive somewhere, I don't want to Cali to feel like a van when I'm driving it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Rhyddin.

How did you find the 'lag' some mention with the DSG on the 150 and how was the performance and refinement in general? Did you get a chance to cruise at motorway speed and can you comment on how relaxed and quiet it is at speed? I understand the DSG revs a little higher for a given road speed in top gear.

My spec is quite similar to yours i.e. 150, comfort dash, Kutamo trim, air parking heater etc and I know I can't really go wrong at this point, which is the good news!

It was Guy at Preston I spoke to about the lights and he and the client present could not really see a meaningful difference in output between base Beach lights and the upgraded ones, but the Beach ones definitely look a little more utilitarian.

Its sooo easy to burn money on all these options!

Yes, don't get carried away too much with extras, second hand prices won't reflect all the money you've spent and most don't make any difference to the purpose of the vehicle.

Yes, don't get carried away too much with extras, second hand prices won't reflect all the money you've spent and most don't make any difference to the purpose of the vehicle.
But, I don't think the Cali is a vehicle where the residuals rule the mind quite as much as with the average car. This is a vehicle you're going to live with - make it exactly how you want it!

Thanks Rhyddin.

How did you find the 'lag' some mention with the DSG on the 150 and how was the performance and refinement in general? Did you get a chance to cruise at motorway speed and can you comment on how relaxed and quiet it is at speed? I understand the DSG revs a little higher for a given road speed in top gear.

My spec is quite similar to yours i.e. 150, comfort dash, Kutamo trim, air parking heater etc and I know I can't really go wrong at this point, which is the good news!

It was Guy at Preston I spoke to about the lights and he and the client present could not really see a meaningful difference in output between base Beach lights and the upgraded ones, but the Beach ones definitely look a little more utilitarian.

Honestly, I didn't notice any lag. I've had a DSG box before so I'm used to releasing the brake a little earlier than I want to set off, anyway. I didn't take a note of the economy but I'm sure it will be fine.

I tried it on the motorway, but only from junction 31a to 31 and it was fine. I overtook without too much issue. It's not like my 3.0d Audi but it's a worthy compromise!

Last edited:
Delighted to say that I've finally placed a deposit for my new T6 Beach - with the exterior pack!

Now, the waiting game begins...

How much is your spec coming out at...???
I'm guessing £43k ish. Shame that Volkswagen website won't allow you to build and see a rough price.
Your spec is looking good. There are a few things on there I wouldn't pay for or have, but you have some of the must have options:thumb

How much is your spec coming out at...???
I'm guessing £43k ish. Shame that Volkswagen website won't allow you to build and see a rough price.
Your spec is looking good. There are a few things on there I wouldn't pay for or have, but you have some of the must have options:thumb
Before discount (and including my £7.5k+ of options, delivery etc) it just topped £50k!! After the £750 contribution from VW and the discount from the dealers, it's brought it down to just over £45k. Really happy with the deal, especially as the finance is at 4.9%.

Enjoy you van when it arrives!

Before discount (and including my £7.5k+ of options, delivery etc) it just topped £50k!! After the £750 contribution from VW and the discount from the dealers, it's brought it down to just over £45k. Really happy with the deal, especially as the finance is at 4.9%.

Wondered what the figures were. They have probably increased a little since I bought mine 3 years ago.
Enjoy, I'm sure you will have loads of fun. Great vehicles.
Welcome to the club:bananadance:cool::thumb

With he £750 finance bonus I decided to change my order to a DSG. I then added the exterior pack and the app connect too. All in price is less than the DSG without discount of course, which is a nice way of helping me overlook the fact that I just spent more money. Again.