Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this a good discount on a new Beach?

3 months is correct. The van will be loaned to me until the 3 months is up. It was going to be used as a road demonstrator for up to 3 months, but the dealer is embarrassed that it has taken so long to get a build date: ordered in April last year, should be with the dealer by early March, 11 months later.
Understood, a special arrangement.

I used to do this with land rovers, buy a demonstrator before the 3 months was up & have them lend it to me as a courtesy car.

The dealer had to stop doing it when another customer wrote off a vehicle, at that point questions were raised as to who actually owned the vehicle & what happens when the insurance payout doesn't cover the cost of a like for like replacement.
There is also a question as to what would happen if the dealership went bust? the administrators would be arguing that they now owned the vehicle.

I used to do this with land rovers, buy a demonstrator before the 3 months was up & have them lend it to me as a courtesy car.

The dealer had to stop doing it when another customer wrote off a vehicle, at that point questions were raised as to who actually owned the vehicle & what happens when the insurance payout doesn't cover the cost of a like for like replacement.
There is also a question as to what would happen if the dealership went bust? the administrators would be arguing that they now owned the vehicle.
I am expecting to have to insure the vehicle for the three months, and I know this might cause problems as I will not be the registered keeper. I am not expecting to pay for the vehicle until the three months is up; if SMG goes bust, I expect the administrators would be only too happy to flog the vehicle to me for the previously agreed price.

But these are good questions which I need confirmed.

As I understand from my local dealer VW do not permit demonstrators being resold to the Public for either 3 or 6 months (can't recall which) to prevent 'backdoor' discounting.
There are numerous disadvantages in having a second owner vehicle in the eyes of Manufacturers and Insurance valuations plus I don't think you can have replacement value Insurance.
I've bought a preregistered car in the past (50miles clocked). I found out this way.
Hello B J G,
We own two California's. They were both purchased as highly specced three month old ex demonstrators in 2015 and 16 respectively. Both of our vans were obtained with substantial discount and both have a form of gap insurance (new for old for the first 24 months via the Caravan Club).
I am curious to know what the disadvantages are because so far we have found none. Can you please be more specific?

I would always prefer the dealer to absorb some of the intial depreciation than buy new and foot the bill myself.

I am expecting to have to insure the vehicle for the three months, and I know this might cause problems as I will not be the registered keeper. I am not expecting to pay for the vehicle until the three months is up; if SMG goes bust, I expect the administrators would be only too happy to flog the vehicle to me for the previously agreed price.

But these are good questions which I need confirmed.

I'd be amazed if they would 'lend' you the van for the 3 months without paying for it in full.

Good for you if they do!!!

Hello B J G,
We own two California's. They were both purchased as highly specced three month old ex demonstrators in 2015 and 16 respectively. Both of our vans were obtained with substantial discount and both have a form of gap insurance (new for old for the first 24 months via the Caravan Club).
I am curious to know what the disadvantages are because so far we have found none. Can you please be more specific?

I would always prefer the dealer to absorb some of the intial depreciation than buy new and foot the bill myself.
Hi Borris. Gap insurance was the difference between what was paid for the vehicle and current value. Admittedly would put me back to start with a second hand vehicle. I found that I didn't get the same level of afterservice as I would with a new vehicle, always got that annoying 'well you didn't buy it new' attitude. You probably have a more Professional dealer.
When changing vehicles it was going to be a third owned vehicle which wasn't seen as desirable when trading in. Plus the warranty runs out sooner.
I was also concerned about the Cali parts having being repeatedly demo'd causing wear & tear beyond normal levels. Probably the deciding factor for me in this purchase.
Nothing major but added together I go for new.
Now if the 20% VAT was being saved I'd join the queue or in other words it all depends on the deal.

@Roc1 sounds fair enough to me. £3K / 7-8% off an in demand vehicle is good going IMO.

It's your money, but personally I've found that haggling over the last little bit takes all the fun out the purchase & both parties walk away feeling they could've / should've done better.

Hi Borris. Gap insurance was the difference between what was paid for the vehicle and current value. Admittedly would put me back to start with a second hand vehicle. I found that I didn't get the same level of afterservice as I would with a new vehicle, always got that annoying 'well you didn't buy it new' attitude. You probably have a more Professional dealer.
When changing vehicles it was going to be a third owned vehicle which wasn't seen as desirable when trading in. Plus the warranty runs out sooner.
I was also concerned about the Cali parts having being repeatedly demo'd causing wear & tear beyond normal levels. Probably the deciding factor for me in this purchase.
Nothing major but added together I go for new.
Now if the 20% VAT was being saved I'd join the queue or in other words it all depends on the deal.
Interesting points.
I accept that some people prefer to buy new. You have obviously had a bad experience with second hand so I fully accept and understand your viewpoint. I have purchased new on numerous occasions in the past when I couldn't find what I was looking for as nearly new. In the end it comes down to personel choice.

However for me at least, the two main factors when buying any car will always be price and condition. As you know, one of the ways of saving a considerable amount of cash and still get a vehicle in as new condition is to buy a preregistered or ex demo. We placed the deposit on our latest T6 Beach when it was brand new and unregistered and collected it three months later after the dealer had had it on their books as a demonstrator. It then had 171 miles on the clock, was in mint condition and with 15%+ discount, it saved me £thousands. I admit that we were lucky with the mileage but we had agreed a maximum limit on mileage of 1000 miles. Many pre-reg vehicles have only delivery mileage.

My experience of buying pre-registered or ex demo vehicles is that if there were any faults or damage they usually put it right without question. They know you will walk if they don't. If they refuse it isn't the right vehicle or dealer.

Whilst I concede that it is not strictly GAP insurance the Insurance included as a feature of the vehicle insurance policy obtained via the Caravan Club excepts that this ex demo vehicle was new and accordingly will replace it with an identical brand new one if stolen or written off within the first 24 months. This isn't an isolated case as we obtained exactly the same benefits on another Cali that we own, bought under almost identical circumstances in 2015.

With the exception of having three months less warrantee there have been no disadvantages at all. The vehicle also qualified for the very cheap 2 year warrantee extension on new vehicles to take it up to 4 years 9months.

Having purchased many cars over the years, both brand new and second hand I can't say that I have ever noticed any difference in aftersales service. If I had, I would have had words and taken my custom elsewhere. IMO a car is a car, whether purchased new or second hand. A reputable garage should treat every customer in the same way whether you buy new or second hand.

Sorry to query your opinion. I was just curious to find out if there was an aspect that I hadn't considered.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Interesting points.
I accept that some people prefer to buy new. You have obviously had a bad experience with second hand so I fully accept and understand your viewpoint. I have purchased new on numerous occasions in the past when I couldn't find what I was looking for as nearly new. In the end it comes down to personel choice.

However for me at least, the two main factors when buying any car will always be price and condition. As you know, one of the ways of saving a considerable amount of cash and still get a vehicle in as new condition is to buy a preregistered or ex demo. We placed the deposit on our latest T6 Beach when it was brand new and unregistered and collected it three months later after the dealer had had it on their books as a demonstrator. It then had 171 miles on the clock, was in mint condition and with 15%+ discount, it saved me £thousands. I admit that we were lucky with the mileage but we had agreed a maximum limit on mileage of 1000 miles. Many pre-reg vehicles have only delivery mileage.

My experience of buying pre-registered or ex demo vehicles is that if there were any faults or damage they usually put it right without question. They know you will walk if they don't. If they refuse it isn't the right vehicle or dealer.

Whilst I concede that it is not strictly GAP insurance the Insurance included as a feature of the vehicle insurance policy obtained via the Caravan Club excepts that this ex demo vehicle was new and accordingly will replace it with an identical brand new one if stolen or written off within the first 24 months. This isn't an isolated case as we obtained exactly the same benefits on another Cali that we own, bought under almost identical circumstances in 2015.

With the exception of having three months less warrantee there have been no disadvantages at all. The vehicle also qualified for the very cheap 2 year warrantee extension on new vehicles to take it up to 4 years 9months.

Having purchased many cars over the years, both brand new and second hand I can't say that I have ever noticed any difference in aftersales service. If I had, I would have had words and taken my custom elsewhere. IMO a car is a car, whether purchased new or second hand. A reputable garage should treat every customer in the same way whether you buy new or second hand.

Sorry to query your opinion. I was just curious to find out if there was an aspect that I hadn't considered.

Best wishes
Nothing to be sorry about, I was merely trying to point out that any 'as new' or demonstrator deal has it's pro's and con's. I also forgot to say that part of my decision making was that if I ordered a Cali with delivery plus demo. 3 months I could potentially loose the use of it for most of this year. As I'm at the time in life where you don't put things to off, money wasn't the prime deciding factor.

Nothing to be sorry about, I was merely trying to point out that any 'as new' or demonstrator deal has it's pro's and con's. I also forgot to say that part of my decision making was that if I ordered a Cali with delivery plus demo. 3 months I could potentially loose the use of it for most of this year. As I'm at the time in life where you don't put things to off, money wasn't the prime deciding factor.
Good point.
Good luck with your new van.

I bought mine as ex demo (2012) with only 50 miles on the clock.
The important thing is to check everything before signing up, I mean everything and agree for the dealer to make good before you collect the vehicle.
I saved around £5k on the new price and would happily buy another this way.