Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to order

Wolverinemac

Wolverinemac

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi

Speccing a VW Beach is harder than choosing a house. What to add? What can I do without? etc....

After much toing and throwing, this is my 6th draft spec. Have added and removed comfort dash, gone from standard cruise to ACC, added and removed towbars, added and removed the interior comfort lights. Can i do without the multifunctional steering wheel?

Trying to keep the original cost down, but keep being told think of your enjoyment and resale value. If you don't have a heater this will put a lot of people off selling it on. Anyhow, this is what I have come up with:

California Beach 7 speed DSG
Candy white
Seat trim covers in Kutamo
2 x swivel seats with integrated child seats
3-seater bench (movable) with reclining seat mechanism
App connect
Composition Media Radio with 6.33" touch screen
Lights & Vision package
Front and rear parking sensors with rear-view camera
Privacy glass in passenger compartment with heat insulating glass (Green) in cab.
Sliding window in side sliding door
Power latching for tailgate
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat
Exterior Package
Power latching for driver side sliding door.
Awning Housing and Rail Black
Wing mirrors, heated, power adjustable and power folding.
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist with City Emergency Braking System (maximum speed 99mph).
Heated front washer nozzles and washer fluid level indicator.
Heavy-duty anti-roll bars.
Programmable parking heater, air with radio remote control and auxiliary heater (coolant).

At present, I have been offered 7% of list price so Retail around £48,366 discounted £45,922 less £750 dealer contribution to finance.

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

Hi

As a beach owner I have a couple of observations on this spec which I think covers all the bases mostly.

1 - have you considered 3 zone ac? The main reason I had this as a must is it is the only way you get high level vents and ac in the rear - otherwise all ac is dash vents only. It's a big space to cool down!

2 - the light concept extra on the T6 is somthing that I would get. The boot is a black hole on the T5 and these lights would help immensely as well as the extra lights upstairs.

3 - not sure you need a remote for the heating - mine has no remote and I've never felt the need for it - an easy way to save a couple of hundred quid!

4 - I would not have a second sliding window in the rear door - these windows are very prone to leaking. I rarely use the one I have.

5 - have you considered laminated glass vs privacy glass - the extra security would be a draw to me. I believe the laminated glass is still privacy glass to but may be lighter.

However each to their own and we all value different things.

Hi

Speccing a VW Beach is harder than choosing a house. What to add? What can I do without? etc....

After much toing and throwing, this is my 6th draft spec. Have added and removed comfort dash, gone from standard cruise to ACC, added and removed towbars, added and removed the interior comfort lights. Can i do without the multifunctional steering wheel?

Trying to keep the original cost down, but keep being told think of your enjoyment and resale value. If you don't have a heater this will put a lot of people off selling it on. Anyhow, this is what I have come up with:

California Beach 7 speed DSG
Candy white
Seat trim covers in Kutamo
2 x swivel seats with integrated child seats
3-seater bench (movable) with reclining seat mechanism
App connect
Composition Media Radio with 6.33" touch screen
Lights & Vision package
Front and rear parking sensors with rear-view camera
Privacy glass in passenger compartment with heat insulating glass (Green) in cab.
Sliding window in side sliding door
Power latching for tailgate
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat
Exterior Package
Power latching for driver side sliding door.
Awning Housing and Rail Black
Wing mirrors, heated, power adjustable and power folding.
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist with City Emergency Braking System (maximum speed 99mph).
Heated front washer nozzles and washer fluid level indicator.
Heavy-duty anti-roll bars.
Programmable parking heater, air with radio remote control and auxiliary heater (coolant).

At present, I have been offered 7% of list price so Retail around £48,366 discounted £45,922 less £750 dealer contribution to finance.

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

Very similar to my spec, except:
1. Grape yellow not candy white
2. No lights and vision
3. No rear view camera
4. No power latching
5. No bed extension
6. No heated washer nozzles
7. No roll bars
8. No exterior package
9. Add interior light concept
10. Add navigation system
11. Add multi function leather steering wheel
12. Add removable towbar
13. Add climotronic air conditioning

14% discount on the dealer's condition that they use the van as a road demonstrator for up to 3 months prior to delivery; if the 3 months is not up before Christmas 2016 the van will be loaned to be until the 3 months expire.

Having just lived in a Beach for a solid month.

*Absolute* essentials:

No.1 = Cruise control (standard anyway!).
MFSW.
Waterproof Seat Covers.
Floor Mats.
Parking sensors.
Privacy glass.

Anything else is not essential by far (ie a *lot* of what you have on that list!) in my book but I like to keep things simple. :)

And three seater? - how many kids? Do you plan to camp in it lots? I'd go two seat for sure if you only need to transport four people. Three seat is more a people carrier, two seat a very flexible and back to basics camper especially if you are a fair-weather fairy summer camper (like me).

I suspect if that solid month had not been in the Summer you might add parking heater. But hey what do I know, I'm still waiting for mine!

Indeed, a parking heater - either factory or after market would be a good fitment for sure.

Agree on parking heater. Despite ordering in spring I went for a more winter focused spec, but then this will be our daily driver through winter too:
* Parking heater
* Light and vision package
* Heated windscreen
* Heated washers
* Mudflaps
* Winter tyres on the standard wheels

The one option I regret not getting is LED headlights! They are expensive but they are even more expensive to retro-fit!

Hi

As a beach owner I have a couple of observations on this spec which I think covers all the bases mostly.

1 - have you considered 3 zone ac? The main reason I had this as a must is it is the only way you get high level vents and ac in the rear - otherwise all ac is dash vents only. It's a big space to cool down!

2 - the light concept extra on the T6 is somthing that I would get. The boot is a black hole on the T5 and these lights would help immensely as well as the extra lights upstairs.

3 - not sure you need a remote for the heating - mine has no remote and I've never felt the need for it - an easy way to save a couple of hundred quid!

4 - I would not have a second sliding window in the rear door - these windows are very prone to leaking. I rarely use the one I have.

5 - have you considered laminated glass vs privacy glass - the extra security would be a draw to me. I believe the laminated glass is still privacy glass to but may be lighter.

However each to their own and we all value different things.

Added these to the spreadsheet it takes the RRP to £49704 and discounted price around £47174

You need to spend more!
If you are going for the ACC 99mph version at £870 I assume you realise you have to select the MFSW at another £336 (not on your list) in order to use it. You can save a little if you go for the ACC 130mph version at £1092 as that includes the MFSW for 'free'.
Then if you feel you need to spend more and opt for that comfort dashboard (which I agree does look much plusher) then bear in mind you can soften the blow as you get the 3 zone climatic control thrown in for 'free' in that price!

Going through the same process, all good fun until you look at the figures!

The trick is not to get too caught up in the bling and consider function most of all. My beach only has a few extras but they make it a year round camper and an easy to live with daily runner. The only thing that nearly stopped me buying mine (it's an ex demo) was it has no privacy glass - got it thinking I can get it filmed, and having had it over a year, I find I don't mine not having it as it helps in the gloomy winter months and you still have blinds.

Like a lot of these ideas and much the same as my thinking.

Will probably get the comfort dash for the 3 zone ac.

Had not thought about the potential consequences of extra sliding window and leakage but given what I have read about leaks a good consideration.

Parking heater remote - is this not useful at night to turn down/up without getting out of bed?

Light concept extra- found very little info on this. What does it include?

Anyone any thoughts on DCC? I love idea of it, seems it works best on 16 inch wheels - anyone had any experience of it?

DCC - we have this and 18" wheels and it is does work. On the 'comfort' setting there's no longer any jarring etc when hitting bumps in the road. I've not tried the sport mode for more than a few minutes so can't offer any comments on body roll etc, but there is a noticable difference when in comfort mode compared to the other two when going over bumps. So comfort is now permanently engaged, which works well for us as we only pootle around or hoon down motorways.

I wouldn't have specced it, but it's what the van came with. And for the first few weeks was fairly non-plussed about it. But on our Europe trip in Aug I got a change to play with it a bit more, hence the comments above.

Will probably get the comfort dash for the 3 zone ac.

Had not thought about the potential consequences of extra sliding window and leakage but given what I have read about leaks a good consideration.

Parking heater remote - is this not useful at night to turn down/up without getting out of bed?
My opinion,

the 3 zone a/c is great, very powerful.

Not had any problems with the sliding window and very glad of them both when camping and it's hot or cooking etc.

Heater remote is useful for switching it on from inside the house etc on a cold frosty day.

I just ordered our Beach this week and there's a lot of overall in our specs but I was very "function over fancy" orient and kept things to minimum.

We're a family of 5, so a 3-seater config was obvious but against your spec:

- Went with standard cruise control and not adaptive. Also skipped on the multi-function steering wheel as didn't see any value to it as it merely moves the controls from the stalks to the wheel. I have fingers...
- Power latching tailgate struck me as as something else to go wrong. On the other hand the power-latching side door is a must unless you want woken through out the night by a slamming door.
- Bed extension and comfort sleeping mat is just going to take up useful space in the van. You're better off with a couple of self-inflating mattresses (Thermarests). They're much smaller when not in use.
- No idea about the anti-roll bars. Never even considered them.
- Simple heater i.e no remote. Definite YES on the heater but, again, kept it simple.
- Skipped up up-sized media system. It's all about the smartphone these days anyway...

Otherwise we're much the same! We added heated front screen (a real bonus when you come back with damp jackets/gear and need to get on the move). Having seen the "interior concept light" it's not worth the money. Get a torch, or just get a 12V led swan-neck light and plug it into the boot (there's 12V socket there). We also got mudflaps and a fixed towbar.

That said, everyone needs different things - so everyone to their own!

Hi

Hi,
We've had our beach for a few months now :
Removable tow bar
Privacy glass
MFSW
Cruise control
Reversing camera (very helpful)
Night heater (with remote)
Fog lights
3 seater

We use our phones as a sat nav (might have been different if we were planning a Euro trip)
Our phone also plugs into the usb socket allowing us to play out music from spotify so didn't see the need to upgrade to app connect.
The comfort dash looks great but from a personal point, during our demo the sun was reflecting from the shiny surface strip.
The standard interior lights are fine for us and our boys love a torch when sleeping upstairs.
My thinking behind the night heater remote was that if it's a cold frosty morning I could turn the heating on in the van and defrost it while I'm having my morning coffee.
if I were to buy another van tomorrow I would get DSG and only because I've discovered I'm getting too lazy to change gears :)

I set out with the same plan (to buy a DSG) but that £2K buys a lot of other functionality! I figured I'd just remain less lazy. Also, I was told by dealer that a DSG was more likely to get a longer lead-time. I suspect that's just speculation. Anyway, I'll just need to keep working on that left leg after all!

if I were to buy another van tomorrow I would get DSG and only because I've discovered I'm getting too lazy to change gears :)

* Parking heater

* Heated windscreen

Why would you need both the parking heater and the heated windscreen? Surely a 15 minute blast on the parking heater would defrost the screen in all but the most exceptional circumstances?

Why would you need both the parking heater and the heated windscreen? Surely a 15 minute blast on the parking heater would defrost the screen in all but the most exceptional circumstances?
From what I've read it takes longer than 15mins to defrost a frozen screen with the heater. It's a fair question though. I'll report back in a few months!

From what I've read it takes longer than 15mins to defrost a frozen screen with the heater. It's a fair question though. I'll report back in a few months!
Fair comment. I decided not to go with the heated screen because of the parking heater. Time will tell

The trick is not to get too caught up in the bling and consider function most of all. My beach only has a few extras but they make it a year round camper and an easy to live with daily runner. The only thing that nearly stopped me buying mine (it's an ex demo) was it has no privacy glass - got it thinking I can get it filmed, and having had it over a year, I find I don't mine not having it as it helps in the gloomy winter months and you still have blinds.

Good advice. Keep it simple and functional.

I have owned my Beach for almost 4 years. I am currently traveling around France and this is how I would go.

DSG, not worth the extra £££ and it's not a gearbox I would own outside of warranty. Having tested it again a few weeks ago, it's nice. But upon reflection there are more necessary extras required.
ACC, personally not keen. I had a demo Caravelle a few weeks ago with it and found its reaction times to sluggish.
Definitely get standard cruise...!!!
DCC, just another electronic headache outside of warranty.
Power latching doors, no you don't need them.

This is what I will spec on my next Beach:
Cruise Control
Light Package
Full Parking Heater
Full Climatic (in rear)
Sat nav plus steering wheel controls
Parking sensors all round
Extra sliding window
3 seater every time, otherwise you may as well order the Ocean.
Towbar, to carry Atera slide mounted bike rack as the Volkswagen rear mounted tailgate rack is a major PITA.
Awning
Heated front screen
Alloy wheel package (17" or 18") or 17" steelies
140bhp motor (150bhp pigs Pe pee) ;)

Probably missing a couple of little bits. But the above are must have's for us after 4 years of ownership and lots of travelling and day to day use.

Last edited:
Back