Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2014 California Wi Fi Sim Card

C

Craig Mc

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could advise the best supplier of a Sim Card to insert into our California,s Wireless Internet Box.

We bought one from 3, that worked perfectly for 4 weeks and has gone off yesterday and 3 are saying that the sims only for a mobile device despite them telling us when we purchased it that we needed this one.

We've cancelled the 3 contract now, and we just need some help with what you maybe using.

Many Thanks

Craig

we bought a EE Buzzard car wifi set up for the van which is data only - we use it as pay and go
I would see if you could link one of their sims to your Cali.

We have just done best part of 3 weeks around the north of Scotland and the West Coast and was really impressed with the signal being able to log on most nights

hope this helps

We do successfully have a 3 monthly rolling contract in our router- has given us very reliable service for a few months now.

HY09UMU said:
we bought a EE Buzzard car wifi set up for the van which is data only - we use it as pay and go
I would see if you could link one of their sims to your Cali.

We have just done best part of 3 weeks around the north of Scotland and the West Coast and was really impressed with the signal being able to log on most nights

hope this helps

I too have a 4G EE Buzzard setup and have been blown away by its performance, but I suspect that the built-in WiFi unit in the Cali is only 3G enabled.

Hi thanks for your replys, for now it looks like I'm going to have to try and find a data only sim to use in the Cali,s fixed device

If only VW made sims cards, they most likely be as good as our Cali :)

Three offer Pay-as-you-go broadband sims, preloaded with 1,3 or 12gb, valid for 1, 3 or 12 months respectively, no contract. The 12gb/12 month is about £70. Last for 12gb or 12 months whichever comes first. We've been using these on our iPads for a while now. Used to be available at good prices from Amazon, but now as good or even cheaper at Three stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi again, I found a massive language barrier talking with 3 in India and they kept trying to sell me a mobile device even though I explained the all you can eat sim they sold me was working in my Cali for four weeks.

3 replied in Pigieon English that it was a Glitch why it was working as it never should, I suspect I'll have to talk with EE whom we have around five phones on contract with to see if they can help, and as there call centre is in the uk it's much easier to get across what you need.

Cheers all

Craig

Have a chat with Sophie from Motorhome Wifi. I have found her very helpful.
Although not their product I am sure she will be able to advise you.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/
0113 815 1120

Alan

I have just setup my California wifi with a 3G SIM card and was wondering if I could change this for a 4G Sim?

You could but I think you will find it will default to 3G as I don't think the VW wifi is 4G enabled.

Craig Mc said:
Hi thanks for your replys, for now it looks like I'm going to have to try and find a data only sim to use in the Cali,s fixed device

Our BMW comes with an in-built SIM card but it's more for emergencies - use the "emergency" button and you'll get BMW straight on the phone. If they hear no response, they send all emergency services to your location - they'll have a GPS fix. Pretty clever I reckon.
It also "tells" BMW when it needs a service and what needs doing so they can order ahead and make sure you're booked in.

KernowLad said:
Craig Mc said:

Our BMW comes with an in-built SIM card but it's more for emergencies - use the "emergency" button and you'll get BMW straight on the phone. If they hear no response, they send all emergency services to your location - they'll have a GPS fix. Pretty clever I reckon.
It also "tells" BMW when it needs a service and what needs doing so they can order ahead and make sure you're booked in.

Apparently the EU are now saying that by 2018 all new vehicles must have that kind of system fitted as standard to alert the emergency services in the event of a crash. All well and good so long as there is a GSM signal. I do sometimes wonder if things aren't just getting a bit out of hand though with technology, it all adds to the initial cost, more to go wrong and fail the MOT for a warning light that doesn't work, more to service etc.

Hi

I picked up an EE data only SIM. SIM itself is free, then just top it up for either a month (starting at £10) or per day (£3). I think you have to top it up once every three months to keep it active. Works well, and no contract.

Link here.
http://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/mobile-b ... you-go-sim

Cheers
Mark