Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2015 Camper unit in 2007 Cali?

soundsk

soundsk

VIP Member
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has tried a newer camper/roof control panel unit on an older Cali.
Ours is a 2007 and it's working well, apart from a button replacement I did soon after we got the van, but I'm always looking for a spare to buy and save for a rainy day.
Would a 2015 unit work? I don't think they made significant changes to the inner workings of the thing, and I'm guessing it might work, but before spending a few hundred quid I thought I'd ask!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Go on then, I'll bite.

What do you mean by camper unit? - control panel?

Go on then, I'll bite.

What do you mean by camper unit? - control panel?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear. Pardon my english... :(

I am talking about the control unit on the roof, that controls everything camping related: fridge, roof, heating, batteries and water tanks.

Sorry, no offence meant (your English is excellent) at all, but I thought you might mean the whole kitchen / wardrobe interior unit instead.

Seems a risk to me, but I don't see why a T5.1 2015 unit wouldn't work in a T5 2007 van. Have you been offered a spare? - if it's cheap enough compared to a new replacement unit it wouldn't hurt to have one in stores, but it seems an unnecessary spare to have money tied up in to me.

The newer face-lift ones did dim after a certain time my old one used to keep me awake I can't see why it would not work

Sorry, no offence meant (your English is excellent) at all, but I thought you might mean the whole kitchen / wardrobe interior unit instead.

Seems a risk to me, but I don't see why a T5.1 2015 unit wouldn't work in a T5 2007 van. Have you been offered a spare? - if it's cheap enough compared to a new replacement unit it wouldn't hurt to have one in stores, but it seems an unnecessary spare to have money tied up in to me.

hehe no offense taken, I just sometimes get lost in my train of thought and assume everyone knows what I'm talking about :headbang

I agree, but I'm kind of paranoid about these things, California's in Portugal are *exceedingly rare*, and seeing as I don't plan to part with ours, whenever I find spares I buy them, as one day they might become hard to come by, and I'm pretty sure she's going to need them at some point!
Also agree it's not the kind of spare to keep in your glovebox, but it is one of the major components, if it malfunctions you lose the fridge, roof and heating. And if they're not a dime a dozen now, I imagine in a few years...

It is the same control unit.
But if you want to check look for part number on 2007 and 201? i think you will find it the same.
At least a later one fits my cali and works

It is the same control unit.
But if you want to check look for part number on 2007 and 201? i think you will find it the same.
At least a later one fits my cali and works

Just looked it up, thanks to a thread on here that mentioned oempc.com, part number is the same, so I really think there should be no problem! Really tempted to go for it, the only thing holding me back is the van also needs leisure batteries, and money doesn't stretch, unfortunately!
:cheers

Just an update, ended up getting the 2015 controller, arrived yesterday, fitted it today.
5 minute job, turn it on, change the language and test everything. Works great!

Decided to keep it on there, and save the original one for a rainy day.

Back