Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2017 Britstop

Anyone else been sent two books?
Seems the lady who sends them out has cocked up and is asking for the second one to be sent back at their cost.

I love Britstop. All stops have been very acceptable. The 2017 book layout is improved. 150 new sites. 550 amendments over 2016, most made because sites have changed some detail. Changes are notified to subscribers on a regular basis.
I prefer it in book format as it is always to hand and accessible which is great when you are looking for somewhere late P.M. If it was on-line, you have to find somewhere that has WiFi which is not always possible in rural UK.

couple of stays covers the cost of book.
It work s for some people I do wonder how many pubs would just let you stay if you asked whether in the book or not.

Not had the van a year yet but the two I emailed were both quite happy for me to stop over in the car park.
I've joined a facebook group called 'Campervan Overnight Stops' - doesn't cost a penny and you can get all kinds of stops, pubs, car parks, seafronts, and up-to-date info from people who've recently been there or sometimes who live there. And sometimes you meet some of them at one of the stops, as I did on Exmouth seafront last year.

I spoke to the chap on the britstops stand at the NEC today and I was amazed at his attitude. Very much take it or leave it.

I asked why they haven't done an app like every other publisher and he said they couldn't guarantee security?!?
Security of What?
Your information!
You don't need to secure my info it's a reference app...
So as soon as I buy this it's out of date? Yes
What happends if a site details change? We send an email update?.. so
I have to update my book? Yes

I think this will just go the way of the yellow pages eventually as more apps with offline capability take over.

I spoke to the chap on the britstops stand at the NEC today and I was amazed at his attitude. Very much take it or leave it.

I asked why they haven't done an app like every other publisher and he said they couldn't guarantee security?!?
Security of What?
Your information!
You don't need to secure my info it's a reference app...
So as soon as I buy this it's out of date? Yes
What happends if a site details change? We send an email update?.. so
I have to update my book? Yes

I think this will just go the way of the yellow pages eventually as more apps with offline capability take over.
I agree an app would be better.

But, your a customer, and while you you can suggest ideas, it's their business and not yours. No point you feeling aggrieved if they want to run the business their way, and not your way.

true, but his justification on not doing an app was based on bad information he has been given by his printer by all accounts.
I think it is a great idea and would hate to see them fail through bad advise.

true, but his justification on not doing an app was based on bad information he has been given by his printer by all accounts.
I think it is a great idea and would hate to see them fail through bad advise.
But with respect that's the world we live in...every one apparently knows everything....

It's their business, you choose to buy off them or not, it's as straight forward as that.

I agree with Loz on this, we purchased the book last year and the first stopover we chose had recently changed hands and the new owners did still allow us to stop over but we were not made to feel very welcome as they wanted to be removed from the book. This made us very cautious when using other stopovers and I can see how app would have

I was going for Britstop but the thought of another book put me off.

Gone for this one in the end https://www.wildcamping.co.uk

I've downloaded the POI files and imported them into my satnav and there is also an app.

Time will tell.

Mike

Last edited:
I've joined a facebook group called 'Campervan Overnight Stops' - [/QUOTE said:
Sounds good. Are you sure about the name? It doesn't turn up in a face book search.

I was going for Britstop but the thought of another book put me off.

Gone for this one in the end https://www.wildcamping.co.uk

I've downloaded the POI files and imported them into my satnav and there is also an app.

Time will tell.

Mike

Wild Camping is pretty good Mike but a lot of them are actually laybys. We generally check them out now on Google Earth before using them.

Wild Camping is pretty good Mike but a lot of them are actually laybys. We generally check them out now on Google Earth before using them.

Yep GE is great. We don't bother to take the van out now, just travel virtually via Streetview. This afternoon we drove the A82 all the way from Crianlarich from Fort William, without leaving South Bucks.
:pinkbanana

Seriously though, don't think I'll renew my Britstops book this year. Several of the places we've tried in the book have been a bit... meah. As said by others, a lot of good pubs will let you stay over anyway, regardless. And no digital format - c'mon guys it's 2017. And like Briwy we do find a Google Earth recce can work well to find wild camping spots.

Not had the van a year yet but the two I emailed were both quite happy for me to stop over in the car park.
I've joined a facebook group called 'Campervan Overnight Stops' - doesn't cost a penny and you can get all kinds of stops, pubs, car parks, seafronts, and up-to-date info from people who've recently been there or sometimes who live there. And sometimes you meet some of them at one of the stops, as I did on Exmouth seafront last year.
Hiya , just tried a search on FB for Campervan Overnight Stops , comes out with lots of groups . Which do group name do you follow , cheers

Thanks + Briwy

Mike

Google earth is also good for checking out Britstops. It's saved me from parking on a pub forecourt facing a busy main road a few times.

There are only so my nights we are going to be away in a year whilst we are still working, so most weekends we are likely to use a club site, so for now we can't see the point in paying ÂŁ30 a year for brit stops or wild camping for that matter.