Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2017 Britstop

I mentioned Searchforsites on page 1. They are planning on launching an app which will make their up to date data available off line.
Many have tried to collate all the various data sources, but Ian Curtis who runs it seems to be heading towards victory.

I have been looking at the free wild camp site via moonfruit (wildcamping.moonfruit.com) loads of free spots on there. Lots of pubs on here that will let you camp it seems.

However I found it rather difficult and clunky to access via a mobile device as it's embedded in an old website but is hosted on google . It is possible to add the POI to your own google maps and it is then visible from the mobile phone google map app but with full satnav features. Also means I can use street view to scout them out before hand. Many are not places I would camp but quite a few are.

Here are the POI of a few different wild camp sources embedded into one map. Obviously this a snap shot and may not be updated.
Here are the POI embedded into google without the pages surrounding,
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1yBHC2i2OIQjMIigrgS-Kk0_c7iY&hl=en&usp=sharing

Last edited:
We were never asked if we were a Britstops member when we stayed at placed, I think the book has now seen its day as there are so many websites and apps offering wild camping options without having to be a member. I think it is also expensive at £30 now.

Searchforsites is planning on launching an app with all their up to date data available off line. Britstops will be under real pressure then (saying that, I've not seen how he's enhanced Britstops this year).

I have been looking at the free wild camp site via moonfruit (wildcamping.moonfruit.com) loads of free spots on there. Lots of pubs on here that will let you camp it seems.

However I found it rather difficult and clunky to access via a mobile device as it's embedded in an old website but is hosted on google . It is possible to add the POI to your own google maps and it is then visible from the mobile phone google map app but with full satnav features. Also means I can use street view to scout them out before hand. Many are not places I would camp but quite a few are.

Here are the POI of a few different wild camp sources embedded into one map. Obviously this a snap shot and may not be updated.
Here are the POI embedded into google without the pages surrounding,
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1yBHC2i2OIQjMIigrgS-Kk0_c7iY&hl=en&usp=sharing

Dont waste money on britstops...over the years Ive just asked pub landlords if its ok to stay in car park after a meal and a few drinks...to date none have refused and have actually welcomed us and are pleased for us to pass on their locations

Yes, I've tried the online version on an Ipad and found the map interface really jumpy, hopefully that will improve. Some additional filters like being able to filter on open all year etc would be useful. I'd certainly pay for a good comprehensive tool.

I cancelled my Britstops membership this year, to be honest I figured
  • How many places will have been added to pay again
  • Of the ones I have visited I have only ever found 1 good one
  • Most places tell me they don't get anything out of it other than the extra trade and so if you stopped and asked to stay if you ate/drank in the pub then they would say Yes anyway!
  • No electronic availability
  • Facebook group that encourages feedback, when you give anything but a glowing reference you are excluded form the group...which kind of defeats the object.
Well i was wondering whether to splash out £30 on the latest edition but that puts me right off.