Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can concur on the continuing to seep through; we put a wrap on last night once it started leaking - this morning there was evidence it had leaked all along the lower window seam of that window, but it had received no more rain because of the wrap.

I can concur on the continuing to seep through; we put a wrap on last night once it started leaking - this morning there was evidence it had leaked all along the lower window seam of that window, but it had received no more rain because of the wrap.
I heard a concern somewhere about this. The saturated bellows hold a lot of water. When you close the lid this has to go somewhere and that isn't to the outside world.

So it could leak down the sides internally where there is probably a lot of cupboards and stuff constructed with lightweight wood like MDF...

I heard a concern somewhere about this. The saturated bellows hold a lot of water. When you close the lid this has to go somewhere and that isn't to the outside world.

So it could leak down the sides internally where there is probably a lot of cupboards and stuff constructed with lightweight wood like MDF...
We shut out roof with wet bellows and the water stayed in the bellows, which were then laying horizontal. We didn’t get any internal seepage, but when we put the roof up again it leaked again, presumably because of gravity now it’s vertical again.

You won’t find a scrap of wood or MDF in a Cali. It’s all aluminium and plastic. Mould on fabrics & carpet is the biggest risk.

Family cars for £70k and you cannot sleep a family of 4 in any one of them.

Different category completely, Cali isn’t a car, It’s a campervan designed to sleep a family of 4 in, hence the reason for motor caravan on the logbook.
Cars aren’t designed to sleep in.
The Cali isn’t fit for its purpose as a campervan with its current issues.

You won’t find a scrap of wood or MDF in a Cali. It’s all aluminium and plastic. Mould on fabrics & carpet is the biggest risk.
Does the ‘wood’ floor have a plywood base to it?

Family cars for £70k and you cannot sleep a family of 4 in any one of them.

You can only sleep a family of 4 in a 2023 Cali if it’s not raining. It’s sold as a camping vehicle. If I had a tent that leaked like my Cali did I would return it for a refund. Not different with the Cali. I don’t see why this is so difficult to understand.

Different category completely, Cali isn’t a car, It’s a campervan designed to sleep a family of 4 in, hence the reason for motor caravan on the logbook.
I encourage you for being a little more subtle :thumb Anyway: It’s the newest, double layer canvas that is not fit for purpose and it is right to respond firmly.
May I add: If you would know the california, you’d know it’s very well fit for it’s purpose and wouldn’t start the resentment like you did by repeating it’s awful. Did you do that on all the other forums with your years of membership? Guess it would go the same way like it did here.
You mentioned a lot it’s price tag but did you compare, not with conversions -sometimes even based on a secondhand panelvan- but with real competition like westfalia Kepler six, stylevan Melbourne, westfalia Marco Polo, Pössl campster, Tonke van, a Reimo campervan and others? Look at their prices! Do you know about their issues? E.g. broken/ cracked roofs and also water seepage. I don’t think it’s that cut and dry.
You can make your own decisions and say how you see it but be a little more subtle.
I hope it will be sorted out soon and meanwhile you can try to think constructively, others with the same problem can. I don't want to upset you and you've clearly had it with your cali (do you have one or not? Have you traveled with it or driven it at all?). You're a little too direct for me to agree completely but I understand you somehow; I’m honest about my cali and had nasty comments for being like that but I’m also a very big fan of my van. If you choose not to have a cali I wish you all the best with whatever you buy.

Last edited:
I encourage you for being a little more subtle :thumb Anyway: It’s the newest, double layer canvas that is not fit for purpose and it is right to respond firmly.
May I add: If you would know the california, you’d know it’s very well fit for it’s purpose and wouldn’t start the resentment like you did by repeating it’s awful. Did you do that on all the other forums with your years of membership? Guess it would go the same way like it did here.
You mentioned a lot it’s price tag but did you compare, not with conversions -sometimes even based on a secondhand panelvan- but with real competition like westfalia Kepler six, stylevan Melbourne, westfalia Marco Polo, Pössl campster, Tonke van, a Reimo campervan and others? Look at their prices! Do you know about their issues? E.g. broken/ cracked roofs and also water seepage. I don’t think it’s that cut and dry.
You can make your own decisions and say how you see it but be a little more subtle.
I hope it will be sorted out soon and meanwhile you can try to think constructively, others with the same problem can. I don't want to upset you and you've clearly had it with your cali (do you have one or not? Have you traveled with it or driven it at all?). You're a little too direct for me to agree completely but I understand you somehow; I’m honest about my cali and had nasty comments for being like that but I’m also a very big fan of my van. If you choose not to have a cali I wish you all the best with whatever you buy.
If something is awful , I’ll say it’s awful. If something isn’t fit for purpose I’ll say it’s not. Whatever it is.
I’m not in school, and I’m allowed to speak how I wish.
If people want to have personal digs at me , which they have. I will reply with personal digs.
If someone wants to have my phone number and argue like they have on hear about my decisions, I will happily take that call.
If you had read the whole thread, yes I have bee away , for the past 3 weeks to Switzerland so have used the Cali, how’s its meant to be used. And this current model isn’t fit for purpose.
One night I had a family of 4, downstairs at 3am due to the rain, as the same time we were being dripped on from the tailgate.
Is that a campervan that works well ? Hmmmm don’t think so.

And btw, I don’t need to be subtle.
Why would I change my personality , for people I don’t Know on a forum.
If people get offended by me speaking the truth and my mind , that’s their issue not mine.

MY CALI isn’t fit for purpose.
FIFY.
Not all MY23 T6.1's are afflicted by bellows leaks. If mine fails I will report here, but so far it hasn't. We have no idea what the proportions of hydraulic and manual pop tops leak. What you are reporting is your truth which isn't necessarily representative. It's clear you are on a crusade so good luck with that.

And btw, I don’t need to be subtle.
Why would I change my personality , for people I don’t Know on a forum.
If people get offended by me speaking the truth and my mind , that’s their issue not mine.
Oh man, stay as you are; you clearly aren’t fit for reason and didn’t get anything I wrote. Did you even read it? Your loss, not mine. Then stay stubborn and believe in yourself being right. I tried to be comprehensive, you clearly don't want this. No problem, I got better things to do then. Bye

Last edited:
Oh man, stay as you are; you clearly aren’t fit for reason and didn’t get anything I wrote. Did you even read it? Your loss, not mine. Then stay stubborn and believe in yourself being right. I tried to be comprehensive, you clearly don't want this. No problem, I got better things to do then. Bye
Hahaha my loss, not sure I’ve lost anything. Why is everyone so offended by me saying the Cali isn’t fit for purpose ! If your Cali leaks , it’s not fit for purpose .
If anyone’s Cali is not Leaking and working well , great stuff. Go and enjoy it because you don’t need to be on this thread.

Hahaha my loss, not sure I’ve lost anything. Why is everyone so offended by me saying the Cali isn’t fit for purpose ! If your Cali leaks , it’s not fit for purpose .
If anyone’s Cali is not Leaking and working well , great stuff. Go and enjoy it because you don’t need to be on this thread.
Probably because you might feel YOUR Cali isn’t fit for purpose when thousands of us have vans that are.
The way you are going on it sounds like. Every van ever made is bad.
Get some perspective on it, using the numbers on the poll there’s about 2/3 of vans delivered since about October 2022 that have an issue with leaks. That’s a tiny number compared to the previous 16 years of production without the leak.

If you think the van is that bad give it back.

Last edited:
Probably because you might feel YOUR Cali isn’t fit for purpose when thousands of us have vans that are.
The way you are going on it sounds like. Every van ever made is bad.
Get some perspective on it, using the numbers on the poll there’s about 2/3 of vans delivered since about October 2022 that have an issue with leaks. That’s a tiny number compared to the previous 16 years of production without the leak.

If you think the van is that bad give it back.
Once again…. I have that choice . And it’s my choice… no one needs to get offended by my remarks about how awful they are .
Those getting offended by my remarks are probably the ones who sit in their van on their drive having dinner, and polish it with a cashmere cloth every Sunday.
If you’re happy with yours , crack on.
If I’m unhappy with mine I will say so.

And once again, there is an ignore / mute button somewhere.

Many thanks x

Yours may not be fit for your purpose, but many are.

You can only sleep a family of 4 in a 2023 Cali if it’s not raining. It’s sold as a camping vehicle. If I had a tent that leaked like my Cali did I would return it for a refund. Not different with the Cali. I don’t see why this is so difficult to understand.
Not difficult to understand. So return it!

Crack on then. No need for you to be Here.
Since you raise the point, what exactly is your need to be here, @Joncali2023!! ? It is puzzling to me.

@WelshGas, to who you posted the question to, is perhaps the most generous poster (with his time) on this site (though several others come close) offering help to anyone in need. Perhaps you have not been here long enough to see that.

He doesn't suffer fools gladly, which is part of his appeal.

In comparison your postings, which I just glanced over, seem short of civility or goodwill and only on the take. You have not even subscribed to full membership.

Last edited:
Since you raise the point, what exactly is your need to be here, @Joncali2023!! ? It is puzzling to me.

@WelshGas, to who you posted the question to, is perhaps the most generous poster (with his time) on this site (though several others come close) offering help to anyone in need. Perhaps you have not been here long enough to see that.

In comparison your postings, which I just glanced over, seem short of civility or goodwill and only on the take. You have not even subscribed to full membership.
Have you read the thread ?
Not Many have offered help to me, and few. Those mentioned have come on to jump on my back at my decisions.
And if you didn’t know I am still a current Cali owner , and this is a Cali forum I believe?
Hope that answers your question x

Once again…. I have that choice . And it’s my choice… no one needs to get offended by my remarks about how awful they are .
Those getting offended by my remarks are probably the ones who sit in their van on their drive having dinner, and polish it with a cashmere cloth every Sunday.
If you’re happy with yours , crack on.
If I’m unhappy with mine I will say so.

And once again, there is an ignore / mute button somewhere.

Many thanks x
When you use emotive language (e.g. woeful) don’t be surprised when you provoke emotion.

Ignore button pressed.

Have you read the thread ?
Not Many have offered help to me, and few. Those mentioned have come on to jump on my back at my decisions.
And if you didn’t know I am still a current Cali owner , and this is a Cali forum I believe?
Hope that answers your question x
I have read the whole thread, and contributed (I hope helpfully, or at least with sympathy) - though I have one of the few MY2023 with the older fabric bellows.

If there was an ignore botton, which let me view the whole forum as normal except anything from you, I would select that immediately but I don't think there is (if I am wrong I would welcome that info). That alone might give someone of conscience cause to pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.