Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

204 or 150bhp

frenchie

frenchie

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi. Yesterday I took out both the 150 and then the 204bhp California. The test drive was a mix of busy city roads and motorway. First up was the 150. At the number of mini roundabouts on the route I found the dsg gearbox slow to change leaving me with a feeling of pull out or not to pull out. It was ok on the motorway. Body roll was not well controlled on both vans. On to the 204, there was pull out or not feeling, pick up was much better and I liked it a lot more. But my questions are.
Will a remap of the 150 overcome the slow pick up, will uprated roll bars overcome the body roll. Or is this the best the vans can give. Thanks F

Not tried the 204 but have a 105 Beach with manual gearbox. I know the Beach is a little lighter but honestly have had no complaints with either performance or handling - considering it's a camper van. It's true my Golf GTI is much quicker and sharper - ha ha :).

Driving long distance is very comfortable and easy and if on faster roads and motorways you just wind it up and let it roll! Not had issues with pulling away into gaps either - I don't believe the manual gearbox should make a massive difference.

Hi. Yesterday I took out both the 150 and then the 204bhp California. The test drive was a mix of busy city roads and motorway. First up was the 150. At the number of mini roundabouts on the route I found the dsg gearbox slow to change leaving me with a feeling of pull out or not to pull out. It was ok on the motorway. Body roll was not well controlled on both vans. On to the 204, there was pull out or not feeling, pick up was much better and I liked it a lot more. But my questions are.
Will a remap of the 150 overcome the slow pick up, will uprated roll bars overcome the body roll. Or is this the best the vans can give. Thanks F

I tried both as well and the 150 I think was just a wee bit slow on busy roundabouts and the 204 offered just that bit of extra when you need it. I did not try the 150 on hills but the 204 stayed up with traffic on steep winding hills with no problem.

I didn't notice too much body roll, but I did slow down a lot on corners. I think I was more concerned with the feel of the two engines.

I ordered the 204 just to be safe, the engine just felt better in places it would count.

IMO if you're looking at the difference from a standing start into fast moving traffic you're doing it wrong, it's a camper van not an S6 Avant & expectations should be set accordingly.

On the move - say lolloping along a two-lane Autoroute - then 204 would be a welcome uplift to a heavy van fully laden.

The factory -30mm lowered springs take a lot of roll out of roundabouts.

I just drove my 150 DSG 2,700-miles to Italy & back over the Alps (three-up, two bikes on rack) and the only time you could reasonably say it needs more oomph is on cruise control at c. 80mph when it does kick-down occasionally into sixth or fifth. I may get a Pendle chipping done, but it's certainly not urgent.

Lots of roundabouts around us which are often very busy never found and issue with 150 DSG pick up. (although excludes our 180 when the BMW driver rear ending me at a roundabout).

I didn't notice too much body roll, but I did slow down a lot on corners.
Again I do not find this an issue if I drive it like a camper van rather than a sports car. chill out adventures are why we own a camper and when we arive the milk is still in the bottle and the pots and still in situ in the cupboards.

In my opinion, if you try to remember the California for what it really is - a heavily loaded van - and drive it accordingly then I would suggest the high power engine option is only really important if you're one of those people who prefer to safely overtake slower moving traffic than become part of that traffic.

I have avoided lowering springs and stiffer ARBs precisely because I want to be reminded (through seat-of-the-pants) that I should handle with care and enjoy the ride - for me, in my camper, it's not about getting to a destination ASAP; the journey should be just as much fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback. I will go for the 204 with stiffer roll bars. F

I think the slow pick-up is also a DSG issue. The original DSG shift moments are for a standard (less heavy) Transporter. When we choose to remap our 180 hp, the DSG was also remapped. This DSG software was special written for a Cali. Leaving roundabouts is smoother and much better now....

Thanks for feedback. I will go for the 204 with stiffer roll bars. F
I think you knew that right at the beginning of the thread deep down.
Surely the Roll bar can't be a bad choice can it? nor can a 204 if you are happy with the extra associated costs.

However, that doesn't mean the 150 with standard ARB isn't impressive. It must be about personal needs as there are still plenty of 102 old and heavy conversions out there with happy owners.

We all have views. yes I know that the 204 will cost more to maintain, but I have a very good working relationship with my company's workshop and the boys will take care of it. for me the 150bhp pull out or not is down to the DSG. my other half had a smart car which had the same sort of feeling and if a mini roundabout junction also included a hill start, the car became a nightmare. I had the smart remapped and the problem was sorted. But if vw all ready have amore powerful engine, I may as well go with that. I think that the uprated roll bars are a must which ever van. I like driving and want the van to be able to meet my driving needs. again thanks for input. F

Simple. If you feel that you either need or prefer the extra performance and can afford it, get the 204. The lag from start is down to the DSG but is supposed to be better when tuned / mapped.

I believe it is the driving style that needs remapping to over come any pull away lag
I agree that it’s easy to compensate for but the lag is there. Although it shouldn’t be expected to have the throttle response of a sports car, it could be improved (as could some people’s driving). :)

No lag on mine at all, the ones reporting this problem must have a fault or they are not used to the DSG gearbox

No lag on mine at all, the ones reporting this problem must have a fault or they are not used to the DSG gearbox
I’ve only done about 150 miles in mine but the lag from a standing start is there for sure. It’s not a major issue and can be compensated for with throttle control but I’ve read many reports about it from others so there must be a lot with faults out there. I’ve had about 10 vehicles with a DSG box or similar double clutch automatic (currently have two others) so can compare easily.

I’ve only done about 150 miles in mine but the lag from a standing start is there for sure. It’s not a major issue and can be compensated for with throttle control but I’ve read many reports about it from others so there must be a lot with faults out there. I’ve had about 10 vehicles with a DSG box or similar double clutch automatic (currently have two others) so can compare easily.
Knowing how the DSG box works, on the California is the key to the lag. When you stop the DSG will have cycled down to 2nd, and will stay in 2nd until you release the Footbrake when it will change down to 1st. So when you start off the box has to change to 1st and engage before you can accelerate.
If you stop short, ease up on the Footbrake and then reapply the box cycles down to first and is engaged ready for immediate acceleration. Other vehicles, which are lighter may have different programming and may even be able to start off in 2nd, but not the California. Also in 1st the anti-stall is in operation so you can creep forward without using the gas peddle.

Knowing how the DSG box works, on the California is the key to the lag. When you stop the DSG will have cycled down to 2nd, and will stay in 2nd until you release the Footbrake when it will change down to 1st. So when you start off the box has to change to 1st and engage before you can accelerate.
If you stop short, ease up on the Footbrake and then reapply the box cycles down to first and is engaged ready for immediate acceleration. Other vehicles, which are lighter may have different programming and may even be able to start off in 2nd, but not the California. Also in 1st the anti-stall is in operation so you can creep forward without using the gas peddle.
This ties up entirely with what I’ve observed so far with the Cali. It’s easy to get used to managing it with delicate throttle control and not unlike some other double-clutch autos I’ve driven. However, I’ve driven many more that have no lag from stop (VW, Audi, BMW, Porsche). I can’t understand why the Cali box doesn’t change down to first when you stop, ready for immediate acceleration when you pull away, just like all of those. I don’t understand what the point of that is because it has to change to 1st next regardless. Maybe someone who knows can tell me if there is a good reason for this.

No problems at all with our DSG, this problem appears to be quite isolated considering the amount of users on here?

We've seen similar conversations regarding start/stop. People have very different driving styles and the standard set up will suite some more than others. Personally I think it is fine and the 150 combined with DSG is a very nice ride. It does reinforce the need to test drive before you make you final decision. It is a big purchase and worth spending some time over.

Looking back at previous posts, the people that seem to have this problem are the ones with a 180 or a 204

This ties up entirely with what I’ve observed so far with the Cali. It’s easy to get used to managing it with delicate throttle control and not unlike some other double-clutch autos I’ve driven. However, I’ve driven many more that have no lag from stop (VW, Audi, BMW, Porsche). I can’t understand why the Cali box doesn’t change down to first when you stop, ready for immediate acceleration when you pull away, just like all of those. I don’t understand what the point of that is because it has to change to 1st next regardless. Maybe someone who knows can tell me if there is a good reason for this.
I think it is to do with the fact that 1st gear is a very low ratio because of the weight. I’ve noticed on a steep hill near home if you stop on the steepest section downhill it stays in 2 nd on start off. Maybe the clever electronics are taking account of the brake force needed to keep stationary? Or something to do with the anti-stall.
On my Defender, that had a very low 1st gear it was no problem to start in 2nd in normal use, even on slight hills, but that was a manual box.

I think it is to do with the fact that 1st gear is a very low ratio because of the weight. I’ve noticed on a steep hill near home if you stop on the steepest section downhill it stays in 2 nd on start off. Maybe the clever electronics are taking account of the brake force needed to keep stationary? Or something to do with the anti-stall.
On my Defender, that had a very low 1st gear it was no problem to start in 2nd in normal use, even on slight hills, but that was a manual box.
Could be those. It makes sense that it’s been set up specifically for the weight of the Cali. Regardless, I personally don’t think that they’ve got it quite right and, without a remap of the DSG, it just requires compensating for on start off in certain situations but lifting the foot off the brake gently to engage 1st prior to moving off. Just a bit of anticipation and allowance.

Back