Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

220 power plug not working

kaoskitn

kaoskitn

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi folks. I have a 1992 VW California Westfalia and am located in Berlin. Gumby, as it is known, has a problem with the external plug not working. I plugged in 220 from a
2 different campgrounds and the icon on the console doesn't display, and the power doesn't draw any electricity.

The power from the campsites has been tested and works.

I also have some photos of the wires spaghetti in there and it looks like a plug is unplugged but this stuff is all new to me. Sorry. I'm a software engineer and this is a hardware problem... trying to learn though.

Please, if you can help me troubleshoot this, I'd be very grateful

Cari & Gumby

20200728_163429.jpg

20200728_161430.jpg

20200705_104820.jpg

Hi, do you have any pictures of the charging unit (should be sitting under the fridge - a black box with cables going into it).
Was it working before or this is your first attempt to use it?
Its not impossible that the charging unit (if its there) is no longer working (these things seem to have a shelf life and if yours is from 92 then its possible its had its day - there are solutions to fix this (scan the forum posts for 'Fraron' this subject has been covered in depth the last few years).
Cheers!

I unplugged that one there, BTW. That would be too easy.

Great!
lucky the guy had a spare, they're rare as hens teeth...
while you've the covers off have a good clean in there.

And a word of caution, don't spill any liquids above the fridge, water we spilled there fried our charger and meant a replacement had to be fitted.

Happy Camping!

As above but take the charger unit out and give it a good blast through with an air line.
Great colour van, my first Westy was that shade. :cheers

Whilst on the subject just so you know, the left hand connection circled is the engine battery charge output. The one on the right is for the leisure battery.
CDD3E2F9-BF11-4964-AECD-1A5817826256.jpeg

I learned a lot about my Westy today! Its gonna be a lot of fun. Thanks for all your help!

Back