Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Very strange fault with the hook up power.

N

Northbridge

Vehicle
N/A
After what properly is best described as a power surge at a camp site in Albania, a couple of days ago, it seems like the hook up icon in my control panel doesn't show up anymore, when I plug a power cable in the hook up socket.

This is a T5 btw.

I'm calling it a surge, because the there was a power outage, and the owner of the campsite said he had 2 water pumps destroyed because of it, and neighbours in the area of the town reported that they had several airconditioners ruined. I my self had a phone charger left in the socket inside the car while it happened, and it doesn't work anymore.

It's just so weird. It seems like I have power in my 220v socket, since when I plug in power from the campsite, I can use the socket. But there's no icon at the control panel. There's no indication that I'm on hook up power. And it gets even more confusing. At the time of the surge, I was hooked up via our traveling buddies cable drum. They drive a brand new T6.1 and the exact same thing has happened! They get power from the hook up, but no indication in the control panel.

How can this be? What has happened? And how do I fix it? Any guesses?

After what properly is best described as a power surge at a camp site in Albania, a couple of days ago, it seems like the hook up icon in my control panel doesn't show up anymore, when I plug a power cable in the hook up socket.

This is a T5 btw.

I'm calling it a surge, because the there was a power outage, and the owner of the campsite said he had 2 water pumps destroyed because of it, and neighbours in the area of the town reported that they had several airconditioners ruined. I my self had a phone charger left in the socket inside the car while it happened, and it doesn't work anymore.

It's just so weird. It seems like I have power in my 220v socket, since when I plug in power from the campsite, I can use the socket. But there's no icon at the control panel. There's no indication that I'm on hook up power. And it gets even more confusing. At the time of the surge, I was hooked up via our traveling buddies cable drum. They drive a brand new T6.1 and the exact same thing has happened! They get power from the hook up, but no indication in the control panel.

How can this be? What has happened? And how do I fix it? Any guesses?
Very high probability that both you and your friends built in mains battery charger have been damaged. It is the battery charger that supplies the signal to the Control Panel to show the icon.
What voltage does the Control Panel show?

Very high probability that both you and your friends built in mains battery charger have been damaged. It is the battery charger that supplies the signal to the Control Panel to show the icon.
What voltage does the Control Panel show?
Hi.

As I was early up, I had a look around the forum and came to the same conclusion. Thanks! There are some great threads I can follow here. The only thing is, that I can't seem to find my charger. It's not visible in the back cupboard, as I should be according to the manual. I can se that it can be located under the fridge. There is something that could seem to resemble a charger, but it seems to be a part of the compressor for the fridge. Are they attached?

Because it's no where to be seen here.
View attachment 111694
Open the Tailgate. On the Left side at the base of the wardrobe is a cover plate. Use a coin to undo the catch and remove cover plate.
Inside is the rear leisure battery and above it is the mains 12v battery charger.
The battery can be removed into the boot area without undoing the battery leads as they are long enough. Undo the battery clamp on the battery lower lip and use a paint scraper or thick knife to lift up battery over the lip and into the boot. The charger has a fuse located next to the black , kettle type, mains plug. There is a chance that that has blown, it is a glass tube type fuse.

See Post 11

Post in thread 'Charging via the 12v Socket' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/charging-via-the-12v-socket.39837/post-510366

Open the Tailgate. On the Left side at the base of the wardrobe is a cover plate. Use a coin to undo the catch and remove cover plate.
Inside is the rear leisure battery and above it is the mains 12v battery charger.
The battery can be removed into the boot area without undoing the battery leads as they are long enough. Undo the battery clamp on the battery lower lip and use a paint scraper or thick knife to lift up battery over the lip and into the boot. The charger has a fuse located next to the black , kettle type, mains plug. There is a chance that that has blown, it is a glass tube type fuse.

See Post 11

Post in thread 'Charging via the 12v Socket' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/charging-via-the-12v-socket.39837/post-510366
Thank you very much. I'll try it when I get unpacked.

See Post 11

Hi. I'm in there now, but atm. My tools and space har limited. The picture from that post is helpful. It's the same as my charger, but how do I get the fuse out?

I don’t think that’s the fuse size…….

250 v means that the fuse can be used under a voltage of maximum 250 volts. It is not the "size" of the fuse which is a value in amperes, and represents the maximum allowable current beyond which the fuse will burn. This size is indicated by a number such as 10, 15 or 20 for example.

So, I switched the fuse which was visibly blown. But it did not help. Still not charging the Battery. I did it all, without taking out the battery or the charger, which seems to be the next step.

How to i double check if the charger really is dead? Other then I doesnt work in the car as is. Can I plug it into some other thing to check it, before I go buy a new one?

Looking at the cost of a new charger, I noticed on this picture, that it seems like there's yet another fuse? Assuming this is the same charger? On this picture, there's the knob saying fuse on it. Since I haven't yet taken out the charger, there might still be a chance.
Screenshot_20230727_101040_eBay.jpg

Check the power cord for 220V. Check that the 3 pin plug is properly seated in the charger.

The 3 pin is in place. The power cord I'm not sure how to check. I still haven't actually gotten the charger out yet.

This is fairly common.47F3A21E-879B-4ED0-8348-471A1B4FB086~2.jpeg
It's a computer style 3 pin plug. You could check it for mains power and check that it is seated correctly.

Exactly the same thing happened with mine. Lighting storm, power surge, slow blow fuse on inverter / charger blown. Replaced fuse but inverter / charger still broken. I ended up getting VW to replace it under warranty. It was during the covid lockdowns, so initially tried to fix it myself, taking the inverter apart didn't show any obvious burns/popped capacitors or anything I could see. Be very careful to disconnect both batteries in correct order before pulling inverter out. -- I assume this must be a common sort of fault.