Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 Motion...

Surprised OP not come back on this one.

Mike

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your advise and support. I have been engaging with the dealer since Fri morning and to their credit they have continued to apologise perfusey. They are just as embarrassed as I am for not realising that the vehicle was not a '4 Motion'.

They have taken complete responsibility and recognise that i did order and pay for a 4 Motion...

Currently weighing up options to come to a resolution including financial compensation and a garunteed but back scheme in 12 months time to supply the specification of my original order.

They did offer me to hand back the van for a refund (don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face) or for me to keep the van until they can potentially fast track a replacement. Unfortunately this option does not suit my current circumstances as I will be importing the vehicle to Germany in September, where I need to keep it registered in country for 12 months or be liable for a £10K plus tax bill!

Has anyone had any experience with a buy back scheme? It would have to be generous with mileage etc. for me to consider that route.

At least dealer has owned up to error there end.
Having come from all wheel drive Subaru to our Cali I was not sure about giving up all wheel drive for the van but it worked ok for us I do run on winter tyres in the winter months.

given you tax issue could you live with it.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your advise and support. I have been engaging with the dealer since Fri morning and to their credit they have continued to apologise perfusey. They are just as embarrassed as I am for not realising that the vehicle was not a '4 Motion'.

They have taken complete responsibility and recognise that i did order and pay for a 4 Motion...

Currently weighing up options to come to a resolution including financial compensation and a garunteed but back scheme in 12 months time to supply the specification of my original order.

They did offer me to hand back the van for a refund (don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face) or for me to keep the van until they can potentially fast track a replacement. Unfortunately this option does not suit my current circumstances as I will be importing the vehicle to Germany in September, where I need to keep it registered in country for 12 months or be liable for a £10K plus tax bill!

Has anyone had any experience with a buy back scheme? It would have to be generous with mileage etc. for me to consider that route.

Hand it back for a full refund. They loan it to you free of charge until your originally specified van arrives.

can you not get VW to ship the replacement to germany, that way you wont have exported a second vehicle ?

This is stuff that nightmares are made from but at least there are options on the table.

Personally I would weigh up the guaranteed buy back very seriously and as Tammy said it would have to be generous.

Last edited:
California 2011 T5 DSG .. 4motion badge on rear hatch .. no badge on front grill .. is this right? ........ gulp.

California 2011 T5 DSG .. 4motion badge on rear hatch .. no badge on front grill .. is this right? ........ gulp.
Yes.

Why not have the exchange done with a dealer in germany?

not sure if i'm more appalled than shocked. tammy, such a shame.

Interesting read, cannot believe the stealers didnt notice or check what you ordered/ received.

Having just ordered our second one, i queried whether it was 4-motion or not and was told by the sales lad, no its not. Anyhow, trying to reconcile the cost of the van on the order form, somethign didnt add up, so phoned and queried the actual cost of the van, to be told, ah yes it is 4-motion.

So figure i’ll be double checking it before we drive away from the garage

What a bummer Tammy.

Given your special circumstances (ie needing to export the vehicle in a few weeks' time under the forces tax scheme), you could presumably consider keeping the 2WD Cali... assuming of course generous compensation is forthcoming from VW for their screw-up.

Are you certain that a 4-Mo will be absolutely essential for what you want to do with the van? Obviously it's sometimes very handy to have 4WD to avoid the ignominy of having to get towed off a muddy field. But I drove around quite happily in 2WD cars for several German winters when I was stationed there. As you probably know, the most important thing - on the roads anyway - is having the right tyres. As has been pointed out (okay, by me at least :happy) in other threads, 4WD is a performance and mobility enhancement, but not a safety enhancement: it just allows you have have your accident at a higher speed.

I'm just trying to pose a different way to look at the crappy hand you've been dealt, but feel free to ignore. I hope you find a way to get what you really really wanted, in the end.

Back