Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 California 4 Motion question

Wrinkly Ninja

Wrinkly Ninja

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I know this is a silly little question but I have an Ocean 4 Motion which I'm collecting on March 1st and have never seen a picture of one with a 4 Motion badge on it at the rear.

Chatting to a friend about the imminent arrival and he asked the question.

I know it has a BlueMotion badge but does it come badged 4 Motion?

Also, if you have the time, how do you find the drive,cornering and practicality on wet grass?

We are waiting on a T6 4 motion hopefully in the critical March window. We traded up from a high spec T5 4 motion as I needed the auto box due to knackered knee/clutch issues.

We had he T5 for almost 4 years and it was unfailing on surfaces. The tyres matter so winter tyres in snow are better than 4x4. On dirt, mud etc it always got through, others have updated to serious off road expedition level of protection etc. We had air suspension added and will do so again. The 4 motion sits low at the back and has a weight penalty so can carry less. Air suspension resolves all those issues and makes for a really nice drive: also able to limbo into multi storey car parks and under motorway 2m barriers. The system we went with also sits within the VW approved extras so does not mess with warranty etc. Might feel an expensive extra at about £4K but when compared to a sound system gives more than twice the value IMHO

PS no idea about th badge proliferation but VW seem to like writing 4 motion whenever they can....

Yes I have the T6 Cali 4Motion. Badged on front grille and rear tailgate.

We are waiting on a T6 4 motion hopefully in the critical March window. We traded up from a high spec T5 4 motion as I needed the auto box due to knackered knee/clutch issues.

We had he T5 for almost 4 years and it was unfailing on surfaces. The tyres matter so winter tyres in snow are better than 4x4. On dirt, mud etc it always got through, others have updated to serious off road expedition level of protection etc. We had air suspension added and will do so again. The 4 motion sits low at the back and has a weight penalty so can carry less. Air suspension resolves all those issues and makes for a really nice drive: also able to limbo into multi storey car parks and under motorway 2m barriers. The system we went with also sits within the VW approved extras so does not mess with warranty etc. Might feel an expensive extra at about £4K but when compared to a sound system gives more than twice the value IMHO

Thanks. I think I'll see how the ride is...I'm not planning any off-road stuff other than the perilous wet grass of camp sites, and we live in the Cotswolds so not much rough terrain. You say it sits low at the back..is that just at the rear or is the front at the same level?

Just at the back and can effect the sink emptying so it is an actual thing rather than just how it looks....

Our T5 4Motion always sat low at the rear, and looked wrong. I was hoping that VW might have amended the rear suspension for the T6 4Motion but it appears not.

I would like to look at ownership of a California through rose tinted glasses like Granny Jen, and yes when it finally arrives, we will drive off into the sunset and have loads of memorable experiences as she's so right he says should be our priority, but why should we have to put up with vehicles that had some such obvious problems that need sorting, (roof rubber seal), or am I just a miserable git looking for something to moan about!

Surely when we upgraded to 4Motion, larger anti-roll bars, winter tyres etc, we hope for more safety, but if the whole vehicle is sitting low at the rear, this must affect the road holding and safety of the vehicle on the road?

So I suppose it's going to have to be the owner that sorts out VW inadequacies

Has anyone fitted amended rear springs to make it look as if the vehicle wasn't constantly going uphill. What were they, and what was the cost?

Any input welcome, perhaps we can feed this back to the to VW, as I think forum members know more about California then VW commercial vehicles.

I shall be out looking tomorrow and out with the tape measure as I can't say I've noticed on my T6 4 Motion.
It has HD Anti roll bars and Servotronic Speed Sensitive Power Steering and I haven't noticed any sag at the rear end.
Also unless required for aesthetic reasons lowering is not required, with the setup I have, for stability reasons. I'm not sure what the difference is between T5 and T6 Cali's but I would urge anyone to try before they start tinkering as mine is rock solid in corners.
If it wasn't I would be getting it lowered.
I'll report back once I've measured up.

Mike

The 4Motion has the lowest payload of all the models. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if these vehicles that aren't level are overloaded on the rear axle.
My T5.1 sits level with or without its towbar rack but then there are only 2 of us, only 2 bikes , when we take them, no driveaway awning and nothing carried on the multiplex except for 2 pillows and nothing on the floor. With all that on board we are just below the legal limit with fuel and water and 4 passengers.
Road holding and stance has never been a problem and I don't drive like a HGV , as fuel consumption shows.

Instead of fitting springs to correct a perceived "sag" it might be worth getting the vehicle weighed either 4 point or at least fore and aft, when it is loaded.

I have been looking into rear springs and the standard rears are strength level 4 out of 9 available across the transporter range.
I suspect VW want to maintain a reasonable ride quality over full on carrying capacity.
I will probably take mine up one stiffness for aesthetic reasons but will always weigh the Cali before going on a trip fully loaded.

Our T5 4Motion always sat low at the rear, and looked wrong. I was hoping that VW might have amended the rear suspension for the T6 4Motion but it appears not.
This has been the situation with Cali's for years, and has been amply discussed on the german forums, also here.
What we understand from there is that it is by design: VW have lowered the back somewhat because otherwise the van would be a bit higher than 2.00m... That's all there is to it. Many people don't like the look of it and raise the back a bit with a different suspension. The toll you pay is that the van is then 2.01m high or thereabout. Or you can lower the front a bit... Ah, choices, choices...!

Or just fit air suspension and have done with it. If you've spent £60k what's another four.:)

Not anything like a scientific measurement but my 204 4 Motion with HD Anti roll bars is 198 high. I reckon that measurement between ground and top of wheel arch is about 1 inch less at the back.
Cali is fairly well packed but no water on board or tow bar bike rack fitted.
Then again we shall have no passengers and we will be up the front end.
My guesstimate is to be fully level I shall have to put on a few pounds or do as @Loz says and uprate the rear springs.

Mike

I know this is a silly little question but I have an Ocean 4 Motion which I'm collecting on March 1st and have never seen a picture of one with a 4 Motion badge on it at the rear.

Chatting to a friend about the imminent arrival and he asked the question.

I know it has a BlueMotion badge but does it come badged 4 Motion?

Also, if you have the time, how do you find the drive,cornering and practicality on wet grass?

My T5 comfortline 4Motion doesnt have badges !

I have t5 4motion Cali and it has the badge on the back but not one on the front.
Plus I bought a bluemotion badge and stuck it below california badge as 4motion doesn't come with one for some reason. It's good to let drivers behind your a stop start and not a rubbish driver!

Back