Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I Did NOT expect this with a new 6.1 4 motion!!

To reiterate some of what has been already said. The major influencer on what mpg one gets is the driver him or herself. Gentle acceleration and braking, not speeding, not overloading, tyre pressures, and good maintenance will all impact mpg but the driver will still have the biggest impact. Long journeys will give better mpg than short ones. Our T6 150 dsg has averaged 37.6 mpg over 23000 miles, the vast majority long trips, never been above 65mph, 0-60 is nearer 30 seconds than 10 seconds and try our best to anticipated slowing traffic to minimise braking. This braking minimising has significantly prelonged disk life, last service they were 45% worn after 23000 miles. Also extends tyre life, on track for 35,000 for a set of tyres.

For those really obsessed with mpg, gain speed on downhill sections, preferably coasting, and go gentle on the accelerator uphill, losing a bit of speed if necessary.

For those really obsessed with mpg, gain speed on downhill sections, preferably coasting, and go gentle on the accelerator uphill, losing a bit of speed if necessary.
Coast function makes a huge difference as does Acc in eco mode, hangs into the higher gears longer than in Drive on ours.
Tyre pressure for sure. Hilly and or tight twisty road like round here kill the mpg if keeping up with the normal not tourist traffic so speed limit where straight.
cruising nearer 50mph max makes a big difference from 60mph.
Yesterday 25miles out 38mpg at 60mph max, returning at 50mph max 43mpg.

Biggest difference for me is the choice of tyre. I make it about 4mpg difference between 215 wide 17” and 255 wide 18’

I started a thread about this a while back, was very informative.
Basically my current 1.9tdi T5 manual does 40mpg brim to brim on a long haul, I wanted something similar or better for the new 150 DSG

Well after picking up our new 6.1 204 4 motion, we’ve wasted no time in driving to Cornwall today….I’m genuinely amazed to have got 40mpg from this new engine. Hats off to VW for working their magic on this new unit to improve the MGG!

View attachment 79365
I am most surprised by you averaging 53mph heading to Cornwall on bank holiday Monday. Took my other half an hour twenty to do three miles in Devon...

I suspect the computer monitoring the fuel pump is pretty accurate. Unlike brim to brim refills when the overnight heater is used!

I am most surprised by you averaging 53mph heading to Cornwall on bank holiday Monday. Took my other half an hour twenty to do three miles in Devon...
Well that’s a fair point….but we did set off at 6am!

I achieved 44 mpg Swansea to Bristol, turned around and got 34 mpg Bristol to Swansea. Both with cruise control at 75mph

The difference was tailwind vs headwind. So quoted figures herein can only be approximate without knowing the prevailing conditions ........

Similarly, I've just driven to mid France and back. 33mpg there (empty), 29mpg back (loaded to the gunnels). Both ways with two skiboxes on roof.

Unless you are using Memory 2 on the MFD ( see Handbook) which shows the Avg mpg over 20,000 miles before resetting then the majority of these readings quoted are dependent on so many variables that they become meaningless.
Brim to Brim or Memory 2 Avg mpg are the only methods that give a reasonably true indication of the vehicles fuel efficiency over time.

Back