Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 wheel drive - well almost

I had an Haldex issue on a Volvo XC70 I once owned. No drive to the rear . Luckily I bought it from Volvo and the warranty covered the repair. I also believe that it was there when I originally bought the vehicle as the car was totally different once fixed.

Interestingly Volvo that use same Haldex unit require a filter change that VW often say doesnt exist. Used to buy the filters from them.
Service isnt enough. The pump must be removed and cleaned on Gen 5 which has no filter (dumb idea), on Gen 4 clean pump strainer and change filter. Failures happen from about 30k to 40k miles due to pump starvation.

The other failure on Gen 4 is water ingress to the control unit electronics, the alloy cover corrodes and holes so i always spray with ACF 50 at each service. Fortunately on a Gen 4 it can be fixed fr sensible cost.

It was bought second hand and it does refer to it as 4 (all wheel drive).

It has 2 bed rails.
No dif lock button but a 4 motion badge.

Fairly common problem. Most likely the Haldex pump failed or blocked or both. Three things. Firstly the vehicle doesnt tell you its not working as you have found. Secondly the VW network often fail to diagnose the issue correctly and say haldex replacement required. This almost always not the case.
Third VW doesnt even recognise that the filter needs to be replaced during service - it does.
Very common for with Gen4 and 5 haldex units.
Make sure you find someone that understands these. Have a look at ads automotive website in crewe for more detailed info.
I always service and clean / replace filters in my haldex every 20k
The haldex can be checked trough vagcom, de pump oil pressure will be given while switching on the hydraulic pump.
And yes most VW dealers do not service the haldex. I have serviced ours new filter, cleaned the oilpump filter flushed de halex and replaced oil. If you do it your self you can do it for about 80£.

Without checking, I do believe the Haldex service is included in the VW maintenance, 4 years or 40,000 miles.

Mine was serviced at 40,000 miles.

Without checking, I do believe the Haldex service is included in the VW maintenance, 4 years or 40,000 miles.

Mine was serviced at 40,000 miles.
Problem is VW dont change the filter when fitted.

Why's that?
In my experience it is virtually impossible to get the front wheels to spin, with a spirited getaway at lights or a roundabout, with a 4Motion. Very easy with FWD.

Over 4 sets of All Season tyres, tyre wear has been virtually the same front to rear and side to side varying less than 0.4mm. I don’t swop tyres around. That is on a 4Motion.
Other members frequently state their front tyres wear quicker than the rear which is to be expected on a FWD vehicle.

In my experience it is virtually impossible to get the front wheels to spin, with a spirited getaway at lights or a roundabout, with a 4Motion. Very easy with FWD.

Over 4 sets of All Season tyres, tyre wear has been virtually the same front to rear and side to side varying less than 0.4mm. I don’t swop tyres around. That is on a 4Motion.
Other members frequently state their front tyres wear quicker than the rear which is to be expected on a FWD vehicle.
If you drive your California 4-motion very easy, you will never use the rear wheels for traction.
If you drive it for about 30000 miles on flat, dry roads, always gentle on the stop lights, slow down for roundabouts, the van will act like a front wheel drive, only giving power to the front wheels, making the front tyres wear like a FWD vehicle.
If you drive quite sporty with your van, lifting off at stop lights, hammering into corners and roundabouts, then the front wheel slip will activate the rear wheels to give traction, wearing the tyres more even.
That is why, on "normal" driving, vehicles with haldex, need to change the wheels front to back every so much miles to wear the tyres even. Otherwise, when the front tyres wear faster, the haldex will "see" speed different front to back, trying to compensate this by constantly giving traction to the rear wheels, damaging the rear differential, and giving unpleasant feeling while driving.
If your front and back tyres wear even, you are a very sporty driver.
Best thing is to check your tyres regularly (like we all should do!!), and change them front to back when the front wears faster.

If you drive your California 4-motion very easy, you will never use the rear wheels for traction.
If you drive it for about 30000 miles on flat, dry roads, always gentle on the stop lights, slow down for roundabouts, the van will act like a front wheel drive, only giving power to the front wheels, making the front tyres wear like a FWD vehicle.
If you drive quite sporty with your van, lifting off at stop lights, hammering into corners and roundabouts, then the front wheel slip will activate the rear wheels to give traction, wearing the tyres more even.
That is why, on "normal" driving, vehicles with haldex, need to change the wheels front to back every so much miles to wear the tyres even. Otherwise, when the front tyres wear faster, the haldex will "see" speed different front to back, trying to compensate this by constantly giving traction to the rear wheels, damaging the rear differential, and giving unpleasant feeling while driving.
Best thing is to check your tyres regularly (like we all should do!!), and change them front to back when the front wears faster.
Totally correct. No “ Granny “ driving for me. Tyres changed normally at 20,000 plus with 3.5 mm tread and just before winter. Present Michelin have just passed 14,000 and show tread depths of between 5.5 and 5.3 mm. so absolutely no need to change tyres around.
One spoke in your argument about driving styles - Brake pads changed at 77,000 miles . Rear pads at 80-90% worn and front similar and garage wouldn’t guarantee they wouldn’t last 20,000 miles and I was going to Norway and Italy within 12 months.

Also the VW 4Motion does split the drive, normally 90% front and 10% rear and varies it from that point depending on requirements .

Totally correct. No “ Granny “ driving for me. Tyres changed normally at 20,000 plus with 3.5 mm tread and just before winter. Present Michelin have just passed 14,000 and show tread depths of between 5.5 and 5.3 mm. so absolutely no need to change tyres around.
One spoke in your argument about driving styles - Brake pads changed at 77,000 miles . Rear pads at 80-90% worn and front similar and garage wouldn’t guarantee they wouldn’t last 20,000 miles and I was going to Norway and Italy within 12 months.

Also the VW 4Motion does split the drive, normally 90% front and 10% rear and varies it from that point depending on requirements .

"Granny driving" :shocked

Just changed all of mine. just under 4 all round but it's winter coming, and 2000 miles in three weeks coming up.

"Granny driving" :shocked

Just changed all of mine. just under 4 all round but it's winter coming, and 2000 miles in three weeks coming up.
2000 miles? or do you mean 20,000?

You know what I mean by " Granny Driving " and I wouldn't think it is something you practice after bursting those tyres in Scotland.:kiss:kiss

2000 miles? or do you mean 20,000?

You know what I mean by " Granny Driving " and I wouldn't think it is something you practice after bursting those tyres in Scotland.:kiss:kiss

No!

2,000 miles of travelling in the next three weeks. Nice, sedate granny driving to Glasgow then visiting outlaws then visiting friends. Tine to do a spot of knitting when stopped at traffic lights or stop and make a nice cup of tea on a non-existent hard shoulder of a "smart" motorway :sad

No!

2,000 miles of travelling in the next three weeks. Nice, sedate granny driving to Glasgow then visiting outlaws then visiting friends. Tine to do a spot of knitting when stopped at traffic lights or stop and make a nice cup of tea on a non-existent hard shoulder of a "smart" motorway :sad
Have fun.

Getting back to Haldex problems:
I checked my service history and, no, the main dealer did not change the oil at 40,000 miles at the last service. I went to my trusted local garage who confirmed that the Haldex on my 2015 T5 is a gen5 which has a simple filter on the pump which needs to be cleaned every time the oil is changed. He has done this for me and found the filter was completely blocked with grey gunge. Just changing the oil would be pointless. incidentally, the gaskets which need to be changed after the filter has been removed cost almost as much as the oil!

Happens all the time on a Gen 5. The Gen 5 just has the pump strainer and the Gen4 a strainer and filter. Needs doing every 20k and certainly 30k max.

Well my wife doesn’t call me a sporty driver but tyres always wear evenly !

Does anyone know which generation Haldex an April 2015 t5.1 has and if it has a cleanable strainer or replacable filter ?

My April 2015 has a gen5 with a cleanable filter Oil about £23, gaskets about £18. Much cheaper than a new pump.

Does anyone know which generation Haldex an April 2015 t5.1 has and if it has a cleanable strainer or replacable filter ?

Gen 5 came in 2014 so I would think its Gen 5. If you look at the control unit then some online pictures its easy to identify if its gen 4 or 5.
Only really need to pay for the oil as the o rings on the pump are ok to re use in my experience. I use the Febi Bistein but make sure you get the right stuff. Drop the pump , clean the strainer, put pump back, refill with haldex. Make sure you dont drain the diff oil by mistake.

Back