Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 wheel drive - well almost

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have a 4 Motion Cali. Earlier this week I was on the Yorkshire Moors and pulled over onto softish grass and mud. Didn't sink in so stayed and had dinner. It was dark and very cold when we finished.

Tried to drive off the grass but all I got was lots of front wheel spinning, nothing from the rears.

We tried everything with ramps etc. No good. Eventually called Green Flag and they said they would be with is an hour plus. Obviously A Cali is the best vehicle to get stuck anywhere and we alsways carry sleeping bags. pillows etc.

Eventually a farmer drove by, then came back and offered to help. I didn't have a rope nor did he. He and his ram in the back of his pick-up went off to a friends house to get a tow rope. They returned and pulled us out via the tow ball. I cancelled the break down chap.

I got home yesterday and checked with the VIN number and it said the vehicle is 2 WD. I called the dealer I bought it from and he said it was delifinitely a 4 WD. I checked, as he suggested, and there is a prop shaft running to the rear wheels but obviously not working.

Before I go to dealer - any ideas?

Thank you.

So you bought a 2WD vehicle converted into a 4WD?

Or, the van knows it is registered as a 2WD vehicle, and has cut off the traction to the rear wheels?

You should see a Haldex diff and driveshafts going to the rear wheels?
The system should have 'braked' the front spinning wheels to apply drive to the rears if it was working... (and 4wd)

As @MartG ..... the spinning wheels should have been slowed and drive applied to the rear.

I can see a difficult conversation with the dealer coming up. Is the dealer anyone we know?

As @MartG ..... the spinning wheels should have been slowed and drive applied to the rear.

I can see a difficult conversation with the dealer coming up. Is the dealer anyone we know?
The dealer has proven to be quite decent in the past. I will keep his name under my hat for now. But if he sold me a dud, then all will be revealed.

Does your particular model have a 4 Motion badge on it? does it have a diff lock button on the dash, I know it was an option but...
If you look under the back as said the prop, diff and shafts can clearly be seen, also does it have two or three seat/bed rails in the back, again I know the 5 non 4 motion could have 2 rails, but if it has three then...
Did you buy new? what does it say on the invoice? If second hand how was it advertised?

Details held by hpi:
BLUE VOLKSWAGEN
CALIFORNIA SE TDI 180 4X4
Motor Caravan
6 Speed Auto 1968cc Diesel

A 4motion should also have a higher weight (due the 4motion system) on the registration papers .
Maybe good to check things and compare with other members figures...

Edit : is'nt it strange it says 4x4 ? VW never uses that but 4Motion...

Does your particular model have a 4 Motion badge on it? does it have a diff lock button on the dash, I know it was an option but...
If you look under the back as said the prop, diff and shafts can clearly be seen, also does it have two or three seat/bed rails in the back, again I know the 5 non 4 motion could have 2 rails, but if it has three then...
Did you buy new? what does it say on the invoice? If second hand how was it advertised?

It was bought second hand and it does refer to it as 4 (all wheel drive).

It has 2 bed rails.

Does it have a prop shaft running to the rear wheels and
as said already, how many seat rails do you have?

Have just taken this pic.

Looks like a rear drive shaft to me.

IMG_20191025_181644.jpg

This is going to be interesting/expensive/funny or a combo of all three.

Do you have a certificate of conformity (passport of the California, from VW)?

Does it say this:

assen.jpg

How much driven axles does your California has on paper?

Yes, but as he said by checking the VIN it says 2WD (and in fact it's 4 WD), what does the original papers from VW say? If 1 driven axle, then someone has put the 4WD afterwards, but that would be quite nonsense to do, or at least a hell of a job.

So if the original papers of VW say it has 2 driven axles, then the van was originally delivered as 4-motion, and then there must be a problem, or in the front gearbox, or in the rear diff, or the axle between them.
If the van was upgraded afterwards (not likely), then you should have to find who's done it to fix the problem.

Yes, but as he said by checking the VIN it says 2WD (and in fact it's 4 WD), what does the original papers from VW say? If 1 driven axle, then someone has put the 4WD afterwards, but that would be quite nonsense to do, or at least a hell of a job.

So if the original papers of VW say it has 2 driven axles, then the van was originally delivered as 4-motion, and then there must be a problem, or in the front gearbox, or in the rear diff, or the axle between them.
If the van was upgraded afterwards (not likely), then you should have to find who's done it to fix the problem.
Loud and clear :thumb

I’m still going with expensive

Maybe just need the Haldex diff given a service - low oil level?

Fairly common problem. Most likely the Haldex pump failed or blocked or both. Three things. Firstly the vehicle doesnt tell you its not working as you have found. Secondly the VW network often fail to diagnose the issue correctly and say haldex replacement required. This almost always not the case.
Third VW doesnt even recognise that the filter needs to be replaced during service - it does.
Very common for with Gen4 and 5 haldex units.
Make sure you find someone that understands these. Have a look at ads automotive website in crewe for more detailed info.
I always service and clean / replace filters in my haldex every 20k

Fairly common problem. Most likely the Haldex pump failed or blocked or both. Three things. Firstly the vehicle doesnt tell you its not working as you have found. Secondly the VW network often fail to diagnose the issue correctly and say haldex replacement required. This almost always not the case.
Third VW doesnt even recognise that the filter needs to be replaced during service - it does.
Very common for with Gen4 and 5 haldex units.
Make sure you find someone that understands these. Have a look at ads automotive website in crewe for more detailed info.
I always service and clean / replace filters in my haldex every 20k
That sounds like good advice me thinks.

Back