Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4000 miles on the clock, what do I think

You get used to the roll and if you adapt your driving you can greatly reduce it. You have to gradually load up the suspension - gently and smoothly tip it into the corners if that makes sense. You can't change direction suddenly like you can in a car.

Even though it's a slow lumbering beast I still occaisonally find myself held up by cars and in some ways driving a fast, sporty car that handles well is even more frustrating because almost everything holds you up!

I have driven 40000 km the last year in my van. Fully packed with stuff, 4 bikes and a roof box or completely empty when just commuting. I use 215-60/17 wheels summer and winter. Never reflected about the body roll. For me the van offers a practical way to camp with 2 kids. It is not driving like a regular car but it is far better than a motor home. When fully loaded or on bumpy mountain roads i really appreciate the standard suspension. Merry Christmas to you all.

Dear Santa, we’ve mostly been very good boys and girls please can we have a std, GT, GTD, R, Crossover and discovery versions of the California. It would bring great peace and harmony to our family and happiness for hopefully everyone.

Thanks in advance

Steve. Aged 4 and 3/4

Dear Santa, we’ve mostly been very good boys and girls please can we have a std, GT, GTD, R, Crossover and discovery versions of the California. It would bring great peace and harmony to our family and happiness for hopefully everyone.

Thanks in advance

Steve. Aged 4 and 3/4
And a convertible please.

I do not get the sentiment that VW have not built something for modern motoring. You can test drive it before you buy, hire one for the weekend (VW offered this to us with a promise that the cost would be educated from the purchase price) and therefore really understand what you are getting. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Go to a converter and design one with them from scratch exactly to your needs and be happy.

Look forward to your review after changing/upgrading. I have no idea about suspension and anti-roll bars and it is interesting to read about it. I think it's great when people like to change something to their best.
I guess mine is a "bouncer and dancer" (depends on the music: a headbanger): It loves to shake rattle and roll. But that's fine to me.

Thanks in advance

Steve. Aged 4 and 3/4
Amphibious would also be good, just imagine.

IMG_1190.JPG @bigmac77 , like this?

Or more like this?
IMG_4523.JPG
This is my mate in a van he himself re-built about 20y ago , we did VW meets with it and had a lot of pictures taken of it , it even got a article in the German version of VW-scene magazine .

Last edited:
Hi. I don't think I wish to play around with the wheels. The state of todays roads I am sure would lead me to cracking an alloy or two, or some toe rag nicking them.I am reassured that the 30mm drop and upgraded anti roll bars work. And yes its sad that VW have not addressed the problems. but reading some posts on this site show that some people are happy paying thousands for a van which then needs further improvements to meet todays driving needs. I bet these same people stood around their horse nodding their heads when a horse less carriage passed, or came out with rubbish like humans would die if they went faster then a horse. Its all not taking place until march as I am busy building a new workshop for my cnc equipment until then, and then its off to Rome. F
What a stupid and sanctimonious comment. Thank goodness we are never likely to meet.
You really need to get a life and stop slagging off anyone who Disagrees with you.
The California is a Campervan NOT a b****y racing car, designed for a specific purpose. If you wish to modify your vehicle that is your prerogative but others may not and may disagree, that is their prerogative.

Back