Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion and wheel spacers.

RSMarco

RSMarco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Good morning all,
I have tried to search for info on fitting wheel spacers on a 4 motion but nothing is coming up so thought I'd ask.

Has anyone fitted wheel spacers to a 4 motion or does anyone know if this is not recommended on 4WD?

Much appreciated,

Good morning all,
I have tried to search for info on fitting wheel spacers on a 4 motion but nothing is coming up so thought I'd ask.

Has anyone fitted wheel spacers to a 4 motion or does anyone know if this is not recommended on 4WD?

Much appreciated,

Might be worth talking to Bognor Motors.
They seem to do a lot in the lowering and wheels department...

Why are wheel spacers required?

Normal reason is to correct for wrong offset wheels being fitted and need to compensate for this.

Using spacers with standard wheels increases the load on the bearings and alters the caster angle on the front suspension and camber on front and rear due to simple leverage laws.

Form over Function.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I’m wanting to make the look of the Cali better as the standard wheels as shown above look much better when spacers are fitted.
But I wouldn’t do anything if it’s detrimental to the setup.

Alternative is to change the wheels to a wider rim, 7.5" or 8", keeping to 17" diameter enabling the existing tyres to be reused. Selling old wheels to reduce the overall cost.

I have 7.5" rims with 55 Offset. These put the rim outer edge 6mm further out than the standard 7" rim which also has a 55 offset.

Lower offset figures put the wheels further out which can give front arch clearance problems if lowering also intended. I tried Amorak 7.5" x18" wheels with a 45 offset and 235/55/18 tyre. As I have air suspension, on lower settings I had too little front arch clearance - for my liking anyway.

Other negative is that more dirt gets spun up the sides from the front tyres the further out the wheel is.

Sounds a bit boring, but I’m a big fan of the Devonports. They really suit the T6.
If I could get them with a lower offset or wider rim, I probably would...

I do wonder how much strain an extra 40mm per axle would really make. Doesn’t sound a lot.
Another van with spacers fitted.

5584CE7A-F471-4746-AD48-AB16334F6A06.jpeg

Look good but puts a lot of strain on the seals and bearings 30mm spacers on a defender can kill the bearings within 2yrs ...so a full loaded cali it might be a bad move
10mm max I would say
Or change wheels to a lower offset type

If you are set on the spacer route you could use these listed below, they do other widths but I couldn't see a 10mm with longer bolts, which I'd say were essential. Front and rear could have different spacers. 10mm front, 15mm rear. No doubt you could contact them regarding longer bolts (no lock nuts?)

Not a route I'd go but >>

40mm is huge spacing, 10/12mm would be best on standard wheels maximum....
Wider wheels and different offsets do not require additional length to bolts and adding 40mm to standard bolt length alone isn’t ok in my opinion regardless of extra load on bearings... how ever devonports do look great and those calis look cool Subtle tweak on the original look is best I do not like aftermarket anything on any vehicle...
I’d go opposite way with my Cali raise her up and nice chunky rubber
I am intrigued by the bling put on these vans and can see why people go for the fabulous bolt on styling kit and wheels but why LED headlights are not the first upgrade is a mystery.

Alternative is to change the wheels to a wider rim, 7.5" or 8", keeping to 17" diameter enabling the existing tyres to be reused. Selling old wheels to reduce the overall cost.

I have 7.5" rims with 55 Offset. These put the rim outer edge 6mm further out than the standard 7" rim which also has a 55 offset.

Lower offset figures put the wheels further out which can give front arch clearance problems if lowering also intended. I tried Amorak 7.5" x18" wheels with a 45 offset and 235/55/18 tyre. As I have air suspension, on lower settings I had too little front arch clearance - for my liking anyway.

Other negative is that more dirt gets spun up the sides from the front tyres the further out the wheel is.

Got any pictures of your van with the 17s on...?
Just for reference

Back