Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New tyres on 180 4motion

greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
the tread on my existing tyres is starting to wear down, and I was thinking about replacing a pair of tyres rather than all 4. Should the new tyres with full tread be put on the front or rear axle of the 4 motion? Seem to recall reading warnings about the 4wd drive system being a bit fussy and confused if tyre circumference from front to back differs very much.... Help and advice please!!

A question I would ask:
1. Are the tread depths the same side to side on 1 axle?
2. Are the tread depths the same front to back axle?
If they are then I would consider waiting until they border on illegal and then change all 4 tyres. Use the Discount on the Forum to minimise cost.

If the front pair are lower than the rear then I would put the new on the rear and transfer the rear to the front?
Do the reverse if the rear are the lowest tread.

What you want to do is minimise the tyre rolling diameter difference between front and rear axles as well as side to side / axle.
Hope that makes some form of sense!

There was a topic about people experiencing vibrations in Haldex 4motion system due to uneven tread on front and rear axe. I would recommend to replace all 4 at once. Than periodically swap them around, best in occasion of winter wheels installation, so the wear is even afterwards...

I swap round my tyres ( front to back ) once a year when I put on my M+S winter tyres.
When my origional front tyres got close to worn out (Dunlop Sport I think), I too looked at changing the front ones.
However at the time the folks at VW Vans Citygate got me 4 new TOYO tyres of exactly the same spec for near half the price. So I changed out all 4. Not had any problems.

Thanks for all this information, very helpful... looks like a change of all 4 looming this summer (on winters still at moment as it keeps snowing!!). Where is the forum link to the discount?

Cheers

Back